NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weep Holes in stringers-’68 barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weep Holes in stringers-’68 barracuda
    Posted: December-23-2004 at 10:57am
Do the late '60's Correct Crafts have weep holes in the stringers so that water that may leak into the hull around the transom exhausts can flow into the bilge, or is water that enters the hull via the transom or exhaust fittings below the floor trapped in these compartments? I am concerned because there is no access to the exhaust hose/ exhast pipe joint below the floor, hence no way to inspect without tearing up the floor.Anyone have any suggestions?
barr68
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2004 at 2:16pm
I am experiencing the same thing. Every time I take my boat out I end up with the area around the exhausts filled with water. My thinking is to fix the leaks around the exhaust fittings in the hull and drill a small hole through the stringer to let the water run into the bilge. I am also interested in other's comments here.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2004 at 4:37pm
my 68 barracuda had no "weep"holes thru the primary or secondary stringer's when it was built.but it dose now.i drilled em.and no new flotation foam between the stringers.correct craft or my best efforts connot keep h2o out of that cavity.when u drill through the primary stringer to the bildge area,insert a plastic tube & seal it to protect the wood.
kenny g
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 9:15am
Thanks Jim and Kenny, I took a closer look at the floor around the compartments where the exhausts run under the floor . After tearing up the carpet I noticed that there were stainless steel sheet metal panels under the fiber glass. After removeing the the glass and sheet metal, I discovered rotting masonite about a half inch thick. Below the masonite I found the compartments full of water and soaked foam. I continued to tear out rotting masonite flooring and glass flooring and found that the entire floor had been replaced with this junk .So much for the boat being "beatifully restored and gently used" as the clown I bought it from described it in the diaries section. Oh well at least when I replace it I will know its right. Any suggestion on replacement floor material(treated plywood or marine ply?).Jim/ Barr'68
barr68
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 2:23pm
Kenny, I have be thinking about your comment and I think your idea about a plastic hose through the stringer is an excellent idea. What kind of plastic tube are you talking about and what should I use for a sealant? Something like 3M weather stripping?

I'm also interested in comments on flooring. I lifted my back floor to replace the shaft packing gland hose and I discovered a piece of plywood, about 1/4" thick, under the fiberglass floor, completly rotted out. Appearantly Mustangs had a thin (about 5/16") fiberglass floor supported in some areas by plywood. Now it's decision time.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 3:07pm
My 66 Barracuda did indeed have holes in the stringers. If you are tearing all the foam out you may find some. Mine were just ahead of the pivot post for the steering about 3-10"ahead and about 1-2 inches long.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 6:42pm
jim, 3M SCOTCH-SEAL 800 INDUSTRIAL SEALANT .the hose could be rubber or anything you got laying around the shop.after you put the new foam in flush & flat with the top of the stringers,find a body shop {fiberglass repair shop }with a chopper gun and spray in a new pan {floor }once this is done,clean it and use a 2-part epoxy paint to seal out the water.then you can cover this with plywood {coated both sides with epoxy paint }glue down your new rug.
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2004 at 6:51pm
Wow. Awsome. Will do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic