Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical problem. HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problem. HELP!
    Posted: May-14-2008 at 8:10pm
Starter would not turn over. I charged the battery and tried again. It clicked, then nothing. The gauges wouldn't even light up. I took the battery to Wal-Mart. They said the battery was ok and just needed a charge.    I bought a new chager thinking mine was bad. Charged battery. Gauges now lit up. When I went to crank it over, click, everything goes dead. Pulled started thinking it had a dead short. Starter mechanic said it's good and that Ford starters need a lot of current. Along the way, I discovered that after the dreaded click and nothing, no matter how charged the battery was, the gauges would not light until I disconnected the battery and re-connected. Is that weird? Completely isolated radio and tried again with jumper cables from my car. Everything lit up and starter tried to crank. Not enough juice with just the car battery and jumper cables. I'm now pretty sure that the battery Wal-Mart said is ok is actually not ok. I'm also pretty sure that my radio is shorted out. What has me baffled is the way I have to disconnect all the power from the boat and re-connect after a couple seconds in order to get the gauges to light and try to start. Is there a breaker that resets itself upon disconnecting the battery?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 8:32pm
Bob, How corroded are the terminal posts? How about the connections themselves? Double check and clean them up with a stiff bristle brush.
Sounds like your getting some power but not a good connection. Also how old is the battery and did Walmart put it on a load tester. I know that Advance or Autozone will check the condition of the battery.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 7:06pm
hi big Air, I have an 1992 sn with the protech ingnition and sometimes this happened to me, when wanted to start all went dead. set the batery and reseted and it started again with no problem. This usually happened to me with the boat after having stop the engine for resting after wakeboarding (runnig with 1500+ ballast). Not cold. In my engine theres a circuit breaker above the protech box that is in the back of the engine. Is like a red button. And if you pay attention when starting you can hear it snapping. I dont know if older sn have that breaker. Hope this helps
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 7:31pm
Check the connection from the cables themselves to the battery clamps. This bit me last year.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:17pm
we have this problm a few times either our conectors were to loose or corroded. like kapla said there's a reset boton on the back of the block ( our's a 86) we usually tighten the terminals and press the reset boton. and should start
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:44am
I had the exact same problem with mine last year. I thought it was dirty cable ends or battery posts. I could pull the cable off or wiggle it a few times and it would eventually crank. Each time leading up to it cranking it would just click and then everything including the guages would go dead. Finally after cleaning the posts for the um teenth time one weekend I realized it was the cable itself. The end was coming loose under the insulation and you couldn't tel. You could pull on it and it felt fine but the lug was not making a good conection to the cable. I cut the lug off, stripped the insulation back and soldered on a new lug and the problem went away. Chances are you have some sort of connection problem on one of the cables somewhere between the battery and starter or ground. Make sure your ground is grounded to the engine block cleanly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic