NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gasket Material

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasket Material
    Posted: December-06-2004 at 12:05am
Who knows where to get about 12" x 12" of 1/16" gasket material rated for low pressure steam, oil, and is gasoline resistant.

I finally got the end cover of my exhaust manifold, removed the broken bolts, and now I need to make a new gasket.

Any ideas for sources? The only sources I have found on the internet sell the material in 100' rolls.

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 3:25am
I just bought some from Autozone a few weeks ago. They had a bunch of different types, I got a 10" by 26" rolled sheet to make some exhaust manifold gaskets (cooling water portion). I bought some cork and rubber material from Murrays last year to replace a bad fuel tank sender gasket in my Formula. Check those places out, it should only be a couple bucks.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 11:54pm
Bill, I went to Autozone and was offered my choice of two types of gasket material - one rubber based and one paper based. I took the Fel-pro part numbers and called Fel-pro. I was told by Hank in Technical Services that neither of those materials was suitable for that application. In fact, he said Fel-pro does not have a suitable material to offer. (Hank was coincidentally I think, familiar with unpressured cooling systems on boats).

I called some industrial gasket suppliers in the Houston area, a chemical plant haven, and found one to be very helpful: Fluid Sealing Products on Scranton Street. I took the old gasket up to their facilty and explained the application. They handed me a piece of Garlock "Blue-Gard" style 3000 1/16" gasket material large enough for me to make a few gaskets. It was fall-off from a job so they just gave it to me. They said this material can handle steam, oil, gasoline, and is designed for high pressure flanges. They said it is rated up to 700 Deg. F. It looks and feels like blue linoleum. Maybe this will help all who encounter the same need.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 12:33am
Thanks for the info. Now that I think of it, I bought a engine circulating pump off Ebay recently from a guy about 2 miles away. He said he worked at a gasket manufacturing company his dad owned and that they supplied a lot of gaskets for the autos (I'm in the Detroit area). If I need anything special in the future, I'll give him a call.

BTW - if anyone needs a circulating pump for a chevy 305 or 350, he's selling a bunch of new ones starting at I think $55. Any other place I found had them for $85+.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2004 at 12:59pm
Jim: With all due respect, it seems to me that you may be over engineering things a bit. The water exiting the exhaust manifold is no way near the temperature of steam in the conventional sense. Also the pressures are negligable. So, in my oppinion, either of the two gaskets found at Autozone or other autoparts stores would work just fine. You should also familiarize yourself with "Hylomar" sealant. Once tried, you will never use anything else...maybe not even gasket material at all.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2004 at 1:14pm
Thanks David. You may be right. The original gaskets I removed from the manifold (between the manifold and the manifold end-cover) seemed to be made from some kind of rigid asbestos based material.

The problem I have with a paper gasket is that it will absorb water. The problem I have with the rubber is longivity in an application with changing temp and pressure. The pressure I refer to is the change in pressure between the mating pieces as a result of expansion and contraction due to changes in the temp of the aluminum and the steel bolts. Once the rubber becomes rigid with age it will lose its pliability and sealability (a new word I think).

But then again, I am probably putting too much thought into it.

Anyhow, my manifolds are reassembled with the "Blue-Gard" material gaskets in place and the world will be back on its axis when I start the engine this afternoon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic