NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Object in ’66 Mustang?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Object in ’66 Mustang?
    Posted: December-05-2004 at 2:06pm
About 18" forward of the rudder and bolted to the inside of the starboard (driver side) stringer is some kind of large bolt with a small 1/2" ball on the end protruding about 2" into the center bilge area between the stringers. Does anyone have a clue as to what that thing is? Does this have something to do with the (missing) steering cable?
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2004 at 3:26pm
Jim, That's the pivot for the clamp block for the steering cable. Look at page 4 of SkiDIM's steering/controls and you will see one of those (item # 2404). To complte your steering, you will need the cable, the clamp block, the support tube (item # 2433), and the clevis - I didn't see one of these at SkiDIM, but your best bet would be to call them - they'll help you get all you need - unless someone else has some GOOD used parts they want to get rid of. Mine had a lot of play in the old clevis and I had to bend it slightly to tighten it up.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2004 at 4:24pm
Thanks!!! Good info.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 10:22pm
Jim if you don't have a clamp block you may need only to replace it and not the cable. Hild the solid tube near the end of the cable next to the clamp block and have someone turn the wheel If the slide goes in and out ot the cable sheath smoothly the cable is OK.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 12:08am
Thanks Rick. I need a cable and a helm. The orginals are missing in action. I did find what looks like a rusty old split clamp laying in the bottom of the bilge. I did not even suspect the clamp was a part of the boat until I read the post from jameski above.

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic