NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Cable Routing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Cable Routing
    Posted: December-05-2004 at 1:30pm
Can anyone please tell me how the steering cable is routed on early (1966) Mustangs? Does is lay on the outboard side of the stringer and under the floor supports? The is no hole existing in the stringer near the rudder for the cable to pass thru. Does the cable lay across the top of the stringer under the rear seat?

I'm hoping someone knows so I can avoid taking apart my '68. (I'm wearing out all of my screw holes as it is.)
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2004 at 1:40pm
It may not be the same, but the cable on my 78 American Skier goes down the center bilge, attached to the stringer to keep it out of the way.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 10:24pm
So did my 66 Barracuda. It ran down the left gunnel through a hole in the stringer into the center bilge. Then under the engine and exhaust hose to the clamp block.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2004 at 11:41pm
Rick, do you mean the cable ran from the steering wheel (on the right side or drvier's side - starboard)to the left side of the boat then to the center? The cable crossed behind the instrument cluster?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 3:40am
My error, it was right to the right gunnel then down. That clamp you found must have been the steering block. If I read mt SKIDIM catalog right they have the whole mechanism and cable and pivot block. My wheel broke and I found one in the spares pile at the Homewood Marina at Lake Tahoe. Cost me a case of beer. I would check with old time marinas in your area that work on wodden boats. My wheel came from an old century.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 1:06pm
That makes sense. Now to show my ignorance once again. What is a gunnel?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 1:14pm
The right side of the hull. At the top is the gunnel. But it really just went down the right side of the hull through the stringer into the bilge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic