NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Hose Routing - ’66 Stang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Hose Routing - ’66 Stang
    Posted: December-02-2004 at 11:14pm
My newly acquired '66 Mustang (260 Ford V-8) is missing the cooling hoses and the transmssion fluid cooler and so I am reconstructing the plumbing from almost scratch.
The raw water inlet has a 90 degree ell screwed to it and is located right under the engine pan about 12" behind the bilge water drain hole. The ell is pointing to the driver side of the boat (which is away from the raw water pump side of the boat). The water inlet hose, (1" I think) will have to be laid under the engine and make a U back to the near side of the engine. Can this be right? Things are old and I hate to break the inlet fitting loose BUT, I also don't like the idea of a hose snaking around under the engine.
Does anyone know how the hose was originally routed from the water inlet to the transmission cooler?
(My '68 Mustang has the water inlet more towards aft and the hose makes a nice straight shot to the trans cooler.)     
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2004 at 11:38am
Hi Jim,
Is your '66 one of the early Interceptor models that doesn't have the water circulating pump and only the front cover with several water inlets? If so, the trans cooler mounts on the front of the engine instead of near the rear, (not that it couldn't be moved). If you send me an email address that I can send pictures to you at, I've got some that show the front of your engine with plumbing. If that's not enough, Howard Lane, '70 red Mustang, also has an 65-67 model with your set up, and could take some pictures. If Keith or someone can tell me how, I could post those picts here.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2004 at 2:00pm
Thanks Reid. The engine does have a water circulating pump AND a raw water pump. There is a short hose hanging off of the back of the raw water pump which I'm sure, is where the cooler once connected (on the side of the engine).

The cooler and bracket are both missing.

(The interesting story on the boat is that the engine was partially rebuilt by someone supposedly knowledgable but then the rebuilder disappeared before he completed the job. The owner resumed work but gave it up and put the boat up for sale. It's missing parts but how does one know what is missing?)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2004 at 2:02pm
PS: Any pics would be a great help. My email is jim@drivesys.com Thanks!!!!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 4:11pm
If you compare older CC boats you can find alot of differences. A friend of mine has a '66 CC American Skier and I have a '66 Mustang ,the same basic hull. We have the same engine and exhaust manifold, his intake sinks in and mine is ford stock cast iron but his doesn't have a circ. pump on the block. And his raw pump is on the crank pulley and mine is opposite the alternator on a bracket. I think his inlet screen is close to the motor but mine is back near the transmission. Another difference is his front seat is a bench just like the back seat and on the top of the hull, where mine dips up at the back over the gas tank, his dips down.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 5:14pm
Thanks Tim. My '66 Mustang meets the description of yours. Where is the trans oil cooler located on your '66 and where does the cooler bracket bolt?

My seats are missing. Any chance of you emailing a pic of your seats to me at jim@drivesys.com??? Thanks in advance.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2004 at 6:14pm
The trans cooler is located just behind the block. The line going to the pump is close to #8 spark plug. I'll send some pics tomorrow.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic