NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Turns Flat....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Turns Flat....
    Posted: April-02-2008 at 4:00pm
I just bought a 96 correct craft....driving it for the first time I was shocked when making a turn and the boat stayed totally flat through the turn. Im used to inboard/outboards and they always lean into a turn. Is this normal for CC boats? Is it the fins that make it turn flat? How does it handle if it encounters some chop while turning flat? Thanks much for any help....if you cant tell this is my first experience with a CC. -Paul
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 4:17pm
Paul, welcome aboard. That's just one of the many benefits of an inboard. Yes, its normal, yes its a good thing, yes the fins are a factor. You will find that your boat rides like its on rails, it tracks very well, designed to keep a straight path on a slalom course. No lean, no prop cavitation, like on your I/0. When you get comfortable with your boat and push its capabilities a bit, you will find that it can turn on a dime, in fact it can do this.

Not me, I was just an innocent bystander. And no, it is not a recommended maneuver, but it does demonstrate the stability of these boats. And no, dont worry about turning in some chop.

The more you experience your inboard, the more you will come to appreciate its many advantages over other types of boats you may have had or experienced.

Again, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place if you have any other questions, and if you havent yet, be sure to post your new boat in the diaries.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 6:48pm
Thats what you pay the big bucks for!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 7:10pm
Larry explained it perfectly. The '90+ Ski Nautiques run even flatter than the earlier models, so Im sure its a whole different world coming from an I/O with a deep vee hull.

While the boat wont handle rough water quite like a v-hull, Correct Crafts ride much better through chop than most other tournament inboards Ive been in- especially anything built before the mid 90's.

Larry, I love the pic. The bruises were worth it. It really belongs on the homepage or a t-shirt or something, doesnt it? Ive gotta get a high-res version so I can frame it.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 7:15pm
Ski boats rule!!

Larry,
Innocent bystander or not... that's a cool pic!

Last summer, when my new acquired baby was still owned by the PO, I drove her quite a few times, and, on one occasion I had some guys with a big mouth on board... They were saying that it wasn't all that much, this little boat... Made a few manoeuvres and believe you me, they still keep their big mouths shut when ever the skiboat is mentionned in a conversation...

I had a small outbaord boat before this one. This boat is quite a difference! It is a real joy to drive!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 7:25pm
paul,
you made a great decision.    These boats drive like sports cars on water...however in big choppy water hold on to your dentures!!!!!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 7:48pm
Good for you Kris...show 'em where the sides of the boat are?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 9:25pm
Thanks to all for your replies. The boat is cool, I learned to ski behind a CC when I was 10 years old and wanted one ever since. Ill have to take some pics for the diaries...Ill post it soon.

By the way....whats the story behind the picture? Which way was he coming from...and what did he do, yank it over at full speed?

Thanks again   -Paul
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 11:46pm
while searchin on you tube i found this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768
copy paste it

i wonder if thos guys got scared of losing their boat
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:16am
Hi Paul,welcome to the site and good look with your 96. I took that picture of Jeff's boat at the NE reunion. He was coming from the lefthand side of the picture. Full throttle,cut right slightly then hard left and cut the throttle.I wouldn't reccomend doing this but if you do,go alone first. If you look at the picture, Keith and Tim are both well braced and holding tight.They already know what to expect but it doesn't always go that well.Check out the next photo in the NE reunion post in my pictures. You'll see one that didn't go as planned. Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:25am
Has anyone tried this in a barefoot?
1988 BFN-sold

footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 7:33pm
The barefoot nautique won't perform "power" turns, when you left off the throttle they want to continue in a straight line and its not possible to get them to turn around in their own wake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by footinforever footinforever wrote:

The barefoot nautique won't perform "power" turns, when you left off the throttle they want to continue in a straight line and its not possible to get them to turn around in their own wake.

Thats what I would have guessed- it would take a heck of a lot to spin a deep vee hull around. Even the 2001 and newer boats with the padded keel running the whole length dont spin like the older flat-bottomed ones. That shouldnt keep you from trying, though!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That shouldnt keep you from trying, though!

It's not my style...just couldn't help asking after I sat here and thought about whether it would or not. I may cringe the first time I get it wet?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It's not my style... I may cringe the first time I get it wet?!!? LOL

Funny, that's what Hollywood said!
Greg

86 BFN
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:30am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It's not my style... I may cringe the first time I get it wet?!!? LOL

Funny, that's what Hollywood said!

HAHHAHA Cringe & then pass out immediately upon getting it wet.....

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 9:00am
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

HAHHAHA Cringe & then pass out immediately upon getting it wet.....

I just might?!!? LOL
All kidding aside, getting the water out has been a monumental task; but I'm dying to hear it rumble!
1988 BFN-sold

shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 3:09am
I have to agree, power slides are a neat feeling. I would strongly caution a newbie though. Sometime ago, I personally witnessed someone who was holding on tight, get thrown right out of the boat. the fortunate thing was he was thrown far enough that the prop missed him. All he got were a few bruises from hitting the side of the boat on the way out. Could have been a tragedy. The older boats can actually be spun around so sharply, you can get them to be going backwards in your original forward wake! This does put added stress on your running gear.

Smile!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 10:56am
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

The older boats can actually be spun around so sharply, you can get them to be going backwards in your original forward wake!*

*As shown in the picture above.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 2:04pm
I've seen a lot of ski tiques do that manuver in 75tiques picture. I've also seen them go past there original wake. When we were kids we called that a back hop. A lot of fun, but last time I did it in mine it cost me $450.00 for a new steering cable. A real pain in the a the rear fishing it back through the holes.
86 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic