NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford vs chevy

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford vs chevy
    Posted: March-31-2008 at 7:06pm
Can some tell me why did PCM turned from ford to chevy engines? Sebastian
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 7:15pm
My understanding is ford got out of the marinized engine busines in the early 90s, 92 or 93 was the last year, I believe. Obviously a business decision.   Others much more familiar (Tim??) can jump in and correct and clarify my statements.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 7:27pm
The story Ive heard is that Ford stopped building Windsor blocks sometime in the mid 90's and discontinued their marine program. PCM bought up a bunch of 351w longblocks and continued to offer the GT40 through '02.

And no Eric, it wasnt because the Chevies are better/stronger/faster. Ive lined up against '02-03 196's of both flavors (310hp GT40 and 330hp Excalibur) and the Ford is the stronger engine.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 7:40pm
So basically Ford threw in the towel?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 7:54pm
It ended when Ford came out with their new line of trucks in 1997 which had all new engines. I don't know why they didn't keep building 5.8's for marine use other than maybe the market for them was mostly ski boats and was too small.

GM stopped building the 5.7 for their trucks, I think in 2001, but still builds them for marine use because they have a huge market for whatever reason.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So basically Ford threw in the towel?

What HW actually meant to say was, after so many years of not having any real competition in the inboard ski boat engine business, they decided in 03 to direct more attention to the Mustang vs Camaro deal. And what did GM do immediatly after catching wind about the pending and obviously superior 03 Cobra, they quit making Camaros! So look for Ford to quit building Mustangs soon also, since there's no comp there either. Not. Also, HW might have meant to say that Ford quit while they were ahead.

Actually, I think Bruce (Riley) above said it best.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The story Ive heard is that Ford stopped building Windsor blocks sometime in the mid 90's and discontinued their marine program. PCM bought up a bunch of 351w longblocks and continued to offer the GT40 through '02.

And no Eric, it wasnt because the Chevies are better/stronger/faster. Ive lined up against '02-03 196's of both flavors (310hp GT40 and 330hp Excalibur) and the Ford is the stronger engine.
Ive lined up against '02-03 196's of both flavors (310hp GT40 and 330hp Excalibur) and the Ford is the stronger engine.

Darn Tim, I was really hoping I was going to see that boat of yours on Sebago and test your theory.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Ive lined up against '02-03 196's of both flavors (310hp GT40 and 330hp Excalibur) and the Ford is the stronger engine.

Darn Tim, I was really hoping I was going to see that boat of yours on Sebago and test your theory.

Bruce, I only line up against real ski boats

Im kidding of course. The lighter/faster hull of your Sportster isnt one Im eager to tangle with just yet. My hull runs pretty planted (read: slow), so while Im not scared of anything when it comes to holeshot, Id lose the top end battle for sure. Let me see if I can fix that problem this spring before I get back to you.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 10:19pm
The Sportster is pretty good on top end, but its bow digs in above 45 so it tops out about 49. Hole shot is what it does best. It'll knock you out of the observer's seat if you're not paying attention.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The Sportster is pretty good on top end, but its bow digs in above 45 so it tops out about 49. Hole shot is what it does best. It'll knock you out of the observer's seat if you're not paying attention.

Im hoping that some sanding/grinding will have my '90 seeing 49-50 this summer. Holeshot is what it does best now- the only one who stood a chance at GL was Boat Dr, and he was afraid to line up with me. I even put a boatlength on Reid's rocket up to 25-30. The only problem with knocking people out of the observer's seat is that they usually spill their beer. One friend screamed like a little girl when he fell into the back seat, and Ive been smacked upside the head for pulling that stunt (thanks Dad).
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:07pm
What will sanding/grinding do to the wake/handling characteristics? You ought to offer to do it to Keith's boat first.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:14pm
While out screwing around in the mustang a few years back I hadn't noticed that my friend in the back seat had stood up and was going to lean forward over the engine cover to comment on the last takeoff he was pretty seriously bruised from where he caught the llfting eye in the middle of his back as he bounced off the deck before ending up in the water, nobody slapped me upside the head but they should of... Speed kills but holeshot will bruise you up pretty good.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:15pm
I dont anticipate any real changes to the wake or handling, but we'll find out once its done. I would just like the hull to run at the same attitude as an average 90-96 Ski Nautique. Mine runs noticeably nose-low (Keith mentioned the same thing), which absolutely kills the top end. Taking some of the hook out of the last few feet should help that.

JR_VIC was running 52+ with similar mods as me (minus the cam and dual exhaust, actually). Right now I have a very average top end speed for a stock HO boat. With an extra 50+ hp on tap, something doesnt add up!

Im hoping that its nothing a little sand paper wont fix. I figure I can always add a little hook back in if I need to.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:09pm
I still think your crazy to touch that gelcoat. Crazy, go molest your skier, ski behind your nautique.

I mean I am crazy, but not that crazy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I still think your crazy to touch that gelcoat. Crazy, go molest your skier, ski behind your nautique.

Reid said the same thing, but you know for a fact that you both would be doing the same thing if you were in my shoes!

Ive been told that I would see a nice improvement by removing just 1/32" to 1/16" of gel at the trailing edge, so Ill take a straight edge to it and start slowly with the sandpaper. I dont want to go all the way through, so wetsanding and buffing it back to a shine wont be a problem.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 4:32pm

Reid said the same thing, but you know for a fact that you both would be doing the same thing if you were in my shoes!

I am in your shoes, I have a 402hp boat that only hits about 51 but, I ain't about to touch the gelcoat on the bottom.
    Tear apart a perfectly good engine to replace the cam and gasket match the intake manifold to the heads sure, pay way to much for some custom fit hi teks of course, put in a new fuel system definitely, and throw on some nitrous why not, I would do that, but I wouldn't touch the gelcoat or hull shape.

Now on the mustang or in your case skier.. different story those are riding boats at this point, not skiing boats.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 4:43pm

Now on the mustang or in your case skier.. different story those are riding boats at this point, not skiing boats.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Joe. At least youre breaking 50, though- Ive still got several mph to go before Im there, and I doubt another 50hp would do it. Ive gotta get the nose up, just a little. Rest assured that Ive talked to a few people with experience in this sort of thing (on newer Nautiques specifically), and Im confident I wont do any harm. Its not like Ill be breaking out the angle grinder... at least not yet.

As far as the yellow/red Skier goes, we plan to ski the hell out of it this year. We'll be able to keep it here in MA, where I would never want to do that with my '90. A 16' boat and a single axle trailer is just what this area calls for. The green boat will do some pulling as well, but probably not nearly as much as Nick's.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:36pm
Tim, Might be easier just to put a couple of fat sacks in the rear. The Sportster will hit 51 with a full tank and 3 people in the back seat.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:50pm
I have no problem agreeing to disagree with a Crazy person .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:06pm
Ha, thanks Joe.

Bruce, Ive tried that trick and it didnt help much. It took a full tank of gas and 4 big bodies in the backseat to hit an unimpressive 48mph.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:11pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Joe. At least youre breaking 50, though- Ive still got several mph to go before Im there, and I doubt another 50hp would do it. Ive gotta get the nose up, just a little. Rest assured that Ive talked to a few people with experience in this sort of thing (on newer Nautiques specifically), and Im confident I wont do any harm. Its not like Ill be breaking out the angle grinder... at least not yet.

As far as the yellow/red Skier goes, we plan to ski the hell out of it this year. We'll be able to keep it here in MA, where I would never want to do that with my '90. A 16' boat and a single axle trailer is just what this area calls for. The green boat will do some pulling as well, but probably not nearly as much as Nick's.

I've got the complete top end to swap out, heads, intake, and exhaust that will get you more than what you currently have.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I've got the complete top end to swap out, heads, intake, and exhaust that will get you more than what you currently have.

No thanks Chris. Im not convinced those parts are better than what Ive got- and even if they were, I dont think theyre 50hp better. Id need all that and more to break 50mph unless I can get my hull out of the water. Besides, I already promised myself I wouldnt spend any money on engine upgrades until next year.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:07pm

Besides, I already promised myself I wouldnt spend any money on engine upgrades until next year.

Are you sure you will be strong enough to withstand the craving for upgrading for a whole year Tim...????

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Besides, I already promised myself I wouldnt spend any money on engine upgrades until next year.

Are you sure you will be strong enough to withstand the craving for upgrading for a whole year Tim...????

No, Im definitely not- Ive lost that bet in the past! Im just hoping to cover myself in enough fiberglass and foam to keep my mind from wandering to engine upgrades.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:12am

HA-AH! I get it. April Fools, right Tim?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:56pm
Tim, just drop that boat at off my house for a week, and after a little test and tune, we'll get her to where we think it ought to be!!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 7:14pm
Steve, I meant every word of what I said- and I stuck to it for almost 48 hours!

Reid, Ill pack the truck after work. See you in a few days!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:36pm
Hi Kapla, you contacted me about a V8 engine you were looking for a friend's boat on Mercadolibre.

My 80' Ski Nautique belonged to Matias Blanco.

It seems there are 2 CCfans from Argentina now!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 2:11pm
Mira que chico es el mundo!!!! bueno nos estaremos en contacto. Con lo del motor estan mas interesados con el tema de los escapes ya que consiguieron un volvo 290 casi completo pero sin los escapes. Estan viendo que casco comprar si el de la master prostar 190 vieja o el de la nuaitque q fabrican en cordoba.
Qua la usas para wake o ski?
Saludos
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 2:43pm
I feel like a dog here. All I understood was; blah, blah, blah MOTOR, blah, blah, blah VOLVO 290, blah, blah, blah, masterblah problah 190blah, blah, blah, blah SKI.

I guess it's time to go back to school.
I love CorrectoCraftoFano.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic