NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Repair
    Posted: March-19-2008 at 6:46pm
Can anyone recommend a boat mechanic in Austin Tx?

Thanks Dan
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:00am
Jim
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 4:40pm
I sure would like to meet Jim
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 4:46pm
well we'll see if he post it's been a long time since he's been on the site, but he used to hold a beer in one hand and the speedo in the other, while driving the boat so we'll see what happens.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 4:47pm
Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:04pm
Dan, What is the problem with your boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 7:14pm
DavidF was a very active, and very knowledgable member of the site from Austin. He hasn't been partipating much lately. However, if you look him up in the membership section, and send him an email through the site, I would think he could probably recommend someone.

I think the Jim that 79Nautique is referring to is actually from the Houston area.

I don't know if we have other Austin members. I would think we do. However, I know that on Planetnautique.com there are a bunch of members in the Austin area, so you might ask there as well. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:02am
BKH: I often wonder what happened to DavidF, J_I_H and the Dude. Texas is still in the Union ain't it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:10am
Last time I checked they were. You know I was kinda wondering the same thing John. Are you guys still with us? HELLOOOOOOOoooooo........
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

HELLOOOOOOOoooooo........

That sounds like Hannity.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:02pm
"Great American"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 7:27pm
The problem with the boat is that it needs a new prop and there is a piece on the shaft that isn't connected. (you can slide it) Im not very mechanical but I know that isn't right and its whats causing pretty substantial vibrations. Also I'm pretty sure its not safe.

Thanks for all the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:54pm
Dan, The piece that slides on the prop shaft, is it on the inside or outside of the boat. Fill us in and maybe we can give you some pointers. When and if you decide on a mechanic, you will then know what's going on!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 9:15pm
its on the outside.

That middle piece slides
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 9:35pm
That's the back side of your strut bearing and you are right...that would cause probs! It should be pushed in until it's flush with the back of the strut. You may have a set screw on the strut that is supposed to hold it in place. Has it been driven since you noticed this?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 10:09pm
Dan. The picture sure is a close up! Too close!! The middle piece that slides looks like the cutlass (rubber lined brass shell bearing) like Greg mentioned but you shouldn't have that much room between the strut and the prop. Has someone been working on the boat lately? Asking because the bearing looks like it is one of the newer shorter double bearings. The cutlass bearing whether new or old style, is pretty much a press fit. The set screws are in there for sort of a just in case! Something is going on with the boat!! Misalignment? Bad stringers? Since you have admitted that you are not mechanical, lets hope we can find you a mechanic. If I remember correctly, isn't your boat a late 70's Nautique? Fill us in on the boat history.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 5:13pm
Ok here a picture thats a little better. I took these with my phone so they didnt come out great. I will take a better picture tonight after work.

The model is a 78 nautique with a 351 commander. I don't know to much about the history because i bought it a year ago (and love it). Engine is strong and runs great. Stringers seem fine, I hope thats not the case.

Yes, it has been driven once since I noticed it. It was scary as hell.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 7:00pm
Dan, I'm wondering if the PO put one of the newer 2 piece cutlass bearings in the strut and didn't check to see if there was a set screw on each small section. I have seen struts with only one set screw in the middle which is fine for the single piece bearing. I'm sure it did vibrate!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 3:11am
damn, hope that didn't tweak the drive shaft when you ran it like that, couldn't have been good on the tranny either.. hopefully you'll get lucky on that.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 10:20am
Pete,Greg, phos, Loctite is a wonderful product, on new

it takes alot for a bushing to come out, there is a reason it is out, and you have to find the reason, been on many boats with the set screws missing and never had the bushings loose as above, yes if you have the setscrews put them in, I cheat and loctite my press fit bushings in> If you get a new one and it is loose in the bore the problem you have may be more than the strut, your alignment could be out.
dont approach it as my bushing fell out and install a new one, something caused it to walk and you need to find the reason and cure that problem first
"the things you own will start to own you"
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 8:04pm
I gotta say the PO obviously neglected the boat. I finally found a boat mechanic in Austin so we'll see what he has to say. Gonna make him do a once over on the entire boat. I'll keep you informed and pray that there's nothing too serious.

Side note- I have been contemplating buying a newer SN but I just have an attachment to this one.   Maybe the moment of truth will be the overall status.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 8:22pm
Dan, I have to agree with Eric that most likely there is a alignment issue that made the cutlass unscrew itself.
Eric, Now the truth is out that you do repairs with a bottle of liquid! No, I'm a user of the locktite bearing retainer (as well as all the rest of the products) It will take up up to a .008" and sometimes is your only choice. I have seen plating fail.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 8:26pm
on new Pete..... i wouldnt use loctite to hold anything in, well maybe
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic