FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skiing with BKH

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skiing with BKH
    Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:32pm
I found myself out in CA this week for work and managed to coordinate a visit with BKH and family. As you would suspect, Brian had the boat ready when I pulled in and as soon as I was able to change out of my cold weather clothes, we were out on the water.

71 degrees, sunny and no wind. The water was a little chilly but I got in a great early season ski. I was definitely rusty but it was a blast to get in some turns on the water right in the middle of my snow ski season.

Thanks again Brian, Denese and Aspen for having me over and for getting me out on the water. I had a terrific time.

Skiing the Delta was phenomenal. Here are a few photos that Denese took:

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 10:17pm
Hmmm...that doesn't look like a super air. Must be one of Brians neighbors? Cold water or not, it had to be better than teens and windy in the midwest. I need to get my work to send me to CA or FL for a few days.

Rob
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 10:57pm
Hey Rob,
No, it was Brian's brother's boat. I wondered how long until someone noticed that.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 11:04pm
Very cool guys.
We're all jealous here in NE.
Have a good week out there Keith. Hope the snow is good too.

Brian, that's a great photo of you and Aspen. She must love the boat rides. One of Lyras few words now is boat or as she pronounces it "BOAP".
-Brad
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 2:36am
Next stop on the "Keith Bagley tour"....central Florida.

Can't wait. We roll out the red carpet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:20pm
I have to say that Keith skied darned well considering he hadn't been on a ski in months, had just spent 6 hours on a plane and 1.5 hours driving to the house, and he was in borrowed gear that was all too big for him.
It was a great day. And, being the first day of Daylight Saving Time, we had just enough daylight to squeeze in a session.

Sadly Rob, my brother's boat is not a CC, but it runs well, and most importantly, it was on my lift and full of gas when Keith showed up. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice. When you finally come to CA, I'll be sure to have several boats for you to choose from.

Brad, when will we see your daughter on skis? My daughter loves the boat, and this summer I'll have her out on skis with me.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:30pm
BKH, what kind of boat is that? I don;t reconize it with that long grab bar on the gunnel. Where's your bathing suit. Was it too cold for you?

Keith, enjoy your trip. When you ski the Peruvian Ridge, think of me, that's my favorite spot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:44pm
Riley, that boat is a 98 MC.

Bathing suit. We don't wear no stinking bathing suits. In CA we use "Board Shorts."
You're on to me with the cold water however. If I wait a couple of weeks, it will be substantially warmer. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Brad, when will we see your daughter on skis? My daughter loves the boat, and this summer I'll have her out on skis with me.BKH

Brian-
We had Lyra on snow skis last month- she took a half dozen runs down the little kiddie slope with me. She skied between my skis and had a great time. ok- truth be told, I probably enjoyed the experience more than she did...

As for water skis- would love to get her out there somehow this summer. Curious to hear your approach. You, Joel and I have little girls right around the same age, so wondering how you guys plan to do it. Maybe just skiing off the boom on some fat combos holding her ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 1:44pm
We didn't put snow skis on Aspen, but she did seem to enjoy the sled.

For this summer, I will carry her in my arms while I ski on doubles at 15 mph or so. My Dad did the same for me over 40 years ago, and I did the same for my sister and youngest brother (guess I better practice a run or 2 since I haven't been on doubles in over 10 years).

I doubt I will have her on a skiboard this summer. That will probably be next year. However, if I do, it will be in the 5 mph zone, and it will be behind a dingy, probably the neighbor's dingy with a heavy duty electric motor. At 30 lbs, they can be up at idle. BKH

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 9:27pm
Don't forget the pictures Brian.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:34am
Good plan Brian. I like the strategy and it's neat to keep that tradition going in the family.
Right on jbear- keep that camera rolling!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:56pm
Brian,

What was the water temp? My brother is coming next week and I had thought about a run out there. He has not been in my new boat so will it be a ski or just a ride?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:04pm
BKH

I think you'll be able to put her behind the boat on her own. This is a photo of my friend's, and life long member of our ski team's, son this past summer. At the time of this photo, his son was 16 months old. I figure he will be on our junior barefoot line at age 4yrs

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:23pm
Roger, I'm sorry I don't know the temp. Didn't have a temp guage in that boat.
I can look on a dock thermometer this weekend.

Steve, a nice plan, and not out of the question, but remember, I only get 50% of the vote, if I'm lucky BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:30pm
Great photo Tullfooter. There's not too many kids that want to do that at that age. I'm lucky if I can get them belly boarding by 5 years old.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 7:43pm
Tull- that is awesome! My daughter would love that. Thanks for the tips guys.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 8:02pm
The thing that he is riding is called a Ski Skimmer. The back of it actually looks like the backs of two skis, and his feet are in toe bindings.
You start the kids by pulling them on the grass with the skimmer, then pulling them by hand along the shore line. Then you hold the rope while sitting on the back of the boat and they slide right off the beach, onto the water.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 1:56am
[QUOTE=bkhallpass] Roger, I'm sorry I don't know the temp. Didn't have a temp guage in that boat.
I can look on a dock thermometer this weekend.

Thanks, My brother saw the post and so he will be watching also.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 2:30am
Roger, I read in the paper that water temp is about 55. Chilly, but doable. As you can see from the photos, Keith was out in a short suit. Then again, he is from Maine. BKH
Livin' the Dream

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:33am
My brother is coming from Idaho so will see how bad he wants it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic