NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold
    Posted: November-11-2004 at 4:52pm
I pulled the exhaust manifold to repair a broken bolt on the manifold end-cover of my 1968 Interceptor (Ford) 289 and discovered a rattling piece of some sort to be on the inside.

I removed an end-cover and a piece of rusted sheet metal about 10 inches long, 18 gage, bent at a 90 deg angle fell out.

The manifold seemed to be cooling properlly on my last outing. Anyone have any ideas about this piece of sheet metal? It must have been some sort of baffle or heat sink. Evidence of how this piece was fastened has been corroded away. Should I concern myself with it?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2004 at 4:45pm
With the manifold off pour water in the part where water enters the manifold. If you see water come out any of the exhaust ports you have a problem. Did the metal come out of the center where the exhaust is or the outside "veins" where the water travels? If it's sheet metal and rusted somebody put it in there, because the manifolds are cast aluminum. Also an engine that is hard to turn over after running can be a sign of a leaking manifold, because water can leak in the engine if the valve is open, and the water will not compress. And as for baffles my interceptor manifolds has a solid round piece in the water viens where the exhaust hits the back side.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2004 at 9:41pm
Thanks Tim. You have given me some things to look at. I decided to pull the other manifold, take off an end plate and look in it. Unfortunatly, I was only able to remove one bolt, I broke off two bolt heads and rounded the 4th - this stuff is old and corroded. I have to take a 2 week break for work :() then I'll get back on the project. You just have to love this stuff.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2004 at 3:53am
Be careful My manifolds on my chrysler 318 from a 66 Barracuda were roted completely. I finally found a used pair for 600 bucks.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 4:54pm
I guess I was lucky, I only had one bolt to break off on the "inward plates" on the exhaust manifold. I took it to a machine shop and the guy welded a washer and a nut to it and turned it back and forth for 30 minutes or so and got it out. I thought he was going to break the manifold by hitting it with a hammer, and he scorched the paint off that corner. I was nervous and told him if it broke it would be expensive for another set up. But it's pretty tough on the corners where the bolts go in because he hit it several times very hard. I put anti seize on the bolts when I put it back together. The gasket on that end was paper with metal in the middle, and since it has never been taken apart it came off in many pieces, so I went to NAPA and bought a sheet of gasket material with one sticky side that you cut. I cut it out with an X-Acto knife to a perfect fit then made a copy for the other side.
Tim D
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 9:01pm
I have a couple of 318 Chryslers in a cruiser that I changed some exhaust manifolds 2 years ago, they had a tube that butted up against the rear of the manifold inside, the tube had holes in it and was meant to distribute the water evenly from front to back. Not so in my 351 Ford.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic