NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Zonour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zonour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping Ideas
    Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:31am
Folks,

As winter presses on, my mind drifts to Nautique prospects that may be some distance from home.

Any suggestions regarding how much to expect to have a boat and trailer shipped (is there a general per mile formula?), or who to turn to in the event "The One" might be located out of town?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 SE

[URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.
asp?ID=1627&sort=&pagenum=1&
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:46am
not sure, but i'd be willing to pick up your '88, & drive it back to my place & tell you how much its costs me in gas & food...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:53am
Well, since the 88 is spoken for, I guess I could bring the 79 down to NC and give you the same feedback as Nate has offered..

Or you could use Ebays recommended shipper DAS... you can get a quote for zip to zip.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/ebay/

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 2:24am
Link to above page

First thousand miles for $3000.oo

I need to start me a new business!!!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 2:47am
I have a CDL if ya need a driver. Love road trips!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 9:02am
Bomar Transportation was going to bring a boat from MA to GA for $500. I didn't fully reaserch him, but he said he makes the east coast trip on a regular basis.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 12:31pm
what you need to do is find a flat bed/lowboy trucker and have him back hual your boat. My Girlfriend is getting her XK8 deleveried today this very way cost her 400.00 to have it shipped from KC, MO to Chesterfield, IN.

But basicly the seller takes it to a local truck stop and loads the boat and trailer on the trucker's rig and then you meet the trucker at another local truck stop to pick it up. I would have to ask a friend who arranged this for more details on who to call but you might try a local trucking company and ask them about back hualing.
Zonour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zonour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the offers and info gang. It looks like the road trip still might be the way to go- if anywhere near $3000 is a ballpark for a commercial outfit to do it.

Top off the truck (a few times anyway) lots 'o black black coffee and a few days off then...

I guess the bottom line here is I better put together a hell of a deal to get that shipping factored in somehow.

Jay     
'02 Ski Nautique 196 SE

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 11:12pm
Contact a CC dealer. I have made some enquiries into this and most responses seem to be around the $1/mile mark.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 8:48am
I've looked into this a few times and I thought about flying into the closest airport and renting a vehicle like an Excursion. I found most come equiped set up to tow. It's not cheap eaither but atleast you'ld cut the gas bill in half and save a day or so.

I have to go to Albany early next month to pick up a machine I purchased and I'll be flying in and renting a Uhaul to drive it back. The biggest expense with hiring a trucker was the loading and packaging it properly. Shippers wanted $2000 and I can get it done myself in the above senario for about $1500 including flight, fuel, 1 motel night and some grub.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 9:13am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have to go to Albany early next month to pick up a machine I purchased and I'll be flying in and renting a Uhaul to drive it back. The biggest expense with hiring a trucker was the loading and packaging it properly. Shippers wanted $2000 and I can get it done myself in the above senario for about $1500 including flight, fuel, 1 motel night and some grub.

Alan, How are the one way additional fees on a U haul? I know that depending on where you get the truck and where you drop it off that it can be quite high.

Don't forget the time away from the shop. By the time you get back the guys will probably have everything printed upside down and or backwards!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 9:29am
Alan, my shop is a u-haul dealer, get a price from penske, or one of the other trucking outfits, then take it to the u-haul dealer and thay have the power to knock another 10% off, make sure you try to cut a good deal with penske or the others and get it in writing...i think you can do it on line...one thing u-haul dealers such as myself like is one-ways cause its the money maker and we can change prices
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 11:11am
Thread jack, sorry

Eric, Thanks for the tip, online Penske is cheaper. I haven't put all the details together as the machine will not be available until after April 1 but I'll work it like you said.

Pete, Problem I have is this is a $50,000 piece of equipment. I bought 2 of them, one new shipping from the mfgr so that one is no problem. The other is used and there's just no way I can let the seller pack it and feel comfortable it will get here in one piece so I'm up for a road trip. Besides I get to check out a similar shop to mine and maybe pick up some ideas. The real problem I have is I've sold off 3 of my current older machines and one of them is 24' long, We've moved it without riggers but only I drive the forklift on this one.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:47pm
How does that work getting trucks back eric...as I know that all your rentals gotta be one way...outa town!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:49pm
jbear posting from work??? Oh, he must have got a Blackberry!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:57pm
good one J-bear, who helped
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've looked into this a few times and I thought about flying into the closest airport and renting a vehicle like an Excursion. I found most come equiped set up to tow. It's not cheap eaither but atleast you'ld cut the gas bill in half and save a day or so.

Ive looked into this option as well. The only potential issue is that none of the major rental car companies will allow you to tow. The official answer they'll give you (if you ask) is to recommend renting a full size Uhaul. The downside to that is paying for the mileage (~$1/mile).

Zonour, I think that a roadtrip is the way to go. By not limiting yourself to a local sale, you really increase the chances of finding either exactly what youre looking for, or a sweetheart deal- or both. [Three of my boats have come from 6+ hours away.] Just be sure to work out most of the details before hitting the road. Make sure that youve got a VERY good idea of the boats condition, or be sure to work out a deal good enough to cover you if the boat isnt quite as nice as you hoped.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:29pm
I do not know, but I thought that the Rental companies are now welding on the larger balls. Not the 2in, but the 2 5/16in. These are the size for their trailers.

Roger

1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I do not know, but I thought that the Rental companies are now welding on the larger balls. Not the 2in, but the 2 5/16in. These are the size for their trailers.

Roger

Roger, which rental companies are you talking about? I would imagine that UHaul uses a 2" ball on their trucks, as thats what their car haulers take.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 2:13pm
It has been awhile since I rented a moving truck or trailer. I just remember an issue of having a trailer with a 2in ball but the truck had the larger ball welded on. I think it was Penske.
This was long ago and things change. I would just check.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

jbear posting from work??? Oh, he must have got a Blackberry!

Jbear...a blackberry? didnt he just learn how to post pictures? seems a little technologically advanced for em....hahah No offense whatsoever intended Jbear!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm

I have a feeling that the only Blackberry Jbear's ever going to buy, will go on his toast in the morning!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Zonour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zonour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 10:00pm
I picked up a '74 Hornet from N.J. in December with one of those U-Haul trailers and was pretty impressed- 2" ball, good brakes, tie downs etc. Yeah, a '74 Hornet.

You you think a '98 Nautique with a Ramlin single axle trailer would snug on like that? Too wide maybe?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 SE

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Zonour Zonour wrote:

You you think a '98 Nautique with a Ramlin single axle trailer would snug on like that? Too wide maybe?

Definitely not- too wide and too long. A 16' boat sitting on #2 CC trailer is barely narrow enough, and is just long enough to cause tongue weight issues. Note the sandbags in the 1st pic.

I would hope that a trailer under a '98 would be street-worthy, though. The only reason Ive used the UHaul is because I didnt trust the trailer on a long haul.
Zonour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zonour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:33pm
The trailer pics combined with the memory of my Southwind's homebuilt trailer journey from New Hampshire got me all distracted. A '98 trailer should be fine, just check the bearings before going. Should be time and fuel from there.

Thanks
'02 Ski Nautique 196 SE

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:12pm
Don't forget to get a spare tire, if it doesn't already have one. Most likely faiure mode!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
terisjenner6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terisjenner6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Zonour Zonour wrote:

Folks,

As winter presses on, my mind drifts to Nautique prospects that may be some distance from home.

Any suggestions regarding how much to expect to have a boat and trailer shipped (is there a general per mile formula?), or who to turn to in the event "The One" might be located out of town?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hey, In my views boat shipping companies are best in  these cases. And if you want to know formula then the pricing for a boat hauling for a legal sized boat on trailer is $1.65 a mile. Open transport is around $2.50 a mile. These are general price around which you will get price quotes from different boat shipping companies in US. I personally like to ship my boat using this service . They have large database of haulers which help in shipping my boat in low cost. 

Here is a bonus tip before shipping :- Wrap large items carefully to protect them 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 7:53am
Originally posted by terisjenner6 terisjenner6 wrote:

. I personally like to ship my boat using this service . They have large database of haulers which help in shipping my boat in low cost. 

Teris,
Welcome to CCfan.

What boats have you shipped using this service? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic