NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump
    Posted: October-30-2004 at 8:51pm
Where do I get a replacment raw water pump for my '68 Mustang with a Ford (Interceptor) 289 engine? The existing pump is a Sherwood and is built like a brass tank. Does anyone know of a company that rebuilds these pumps? I pulled mine apart and it looks rebuildable but I don't have the tools.

There seems to be a little slop in the way the bearing journal fits into the brass end-plate bushing (opposite the drive end). I don't see how that could cause my pump not to work but at this point I'm just changing parts.

The impeller was replaced by the previous owner but that did not fix the problem. I have to "gun" the engine or plane the boat to pick up water.

Has anyone ever had a transmission oil cooler partialy clog up? I don't want to break the fluid lines to remove the cooler for inspection unless there is a chance it could be partially plugged. Water (from my water hose) seems to flow through it ok.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2004 at 2:40pm
1.If you have any air leak the pump will not prime
2,Check in hoses etc. above pump for old impellor vanes ie. blockage.
3.Pumps are rebuildable. bearings and seals all available check yellow pages for local bearing and seal warehouse.
4.Pumps can also be reassembled for a motor with opposite rotation, are you sure its assembled correctly?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 3:13pm
...item #4:

All raw water pumps are universal regardless of which direction the motor rotates. Using LH as a reference, simply turn the pump over to get a RH pump.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2004 at 1:53pm
Just in case the original question still needs answering Discount OInboard Marine (Their link is on the home page) has new pumps as well as parts.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2004 at 4:10pm
My mustang has a sherwood pump (SP 10545)that is easy to rebuild. Just be careful to remember the order and direction of the seal and spring. The bearing on the front is held in with a snap ring. The PCM RP061015 impeller fits the sherwood. A NAPA bearing 202-FFB fits on the pulley end. The seal kit is Aqua Power AP #1338, call Vince at Discount Inboard Marine to special order the seal kit, it keeps water away from the bearing. On the back plate there's a gasket, the last impeller I bought was a different brand than the PCM and it had several gaskets, even one that fits the holes and pins. When I find the box I'll post the brand and number. Where the shaft fits in the back plate, there is a rubber cup, which I have never had to replace.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2004 at 2:49am
Thanks Tim. There is a bushing type bearing that supports the pump shaft in a housing plate. That bushing is worn out in my pump and has to be replaced. There is also a lot of wear on the bronze plate where the impeller has been rubbing. I think this wear is what kept my pump from priming. I ordered a "major" rebuild kit from DIM today. I plan on having the worn plate faced off and the bushing replaced at a local machine shop. It sounds like a lot of work but a replacement pump (a Sherwood P10700G) is special order and is about $540 at DIM (besides I think the work is the fun part).

I'll let you know if the pump pumps when I'm done. (The nice thing about a boat is that you don't have to get it running to drive it to work in the morning.)

It just doesn't get any better than this.

Thanks for the info.

-jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic