NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 24>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:17am
Mark Knoppler;                                    " Some days you da WINDSHIELD, some days you da BUG....
"Some days you da LOISVILLE SLUGGER,
Some days you da BALL.........
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:18am
well pass that on to the f-in concerned party
because in my f-in eyes it equals about 10 grand. and tell him to buy a 600.00 cover to keep the water out of his boat...it wouldve been more practical than those shiney mufflers
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:22am
this should also answer the inquiring mind of 79
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:39am
BTW, since everyone may not have been included in on the phone conversations amongst eachother, it was $5500.00 and that sure the f-ck dont equal $100.00 per f-in hour
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:49am
now i can sleep.....
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 1:22am
Parts@2740.00
Labor@2760.00
Total 5500.00

120 hrs /2760.00=23.00 per hr.
what kinda labor can you buy for 23.00 dollars per hour.....

One more question , how can you work for 3 weeks/ 40 hrs. per week =120 hrs.and only gross 23.00 per hour.You must have a very low overhead. You cannot get your lawn mowed here for 23.00, and you supply the mower and gas?
Your figures seem to show you made no profit from him. You have one more satisfied cliet, and he will surely pass on to others the job that you did for him.I was just curios Eric, thanks for setting me straight and "NOT EMBARRASSING "
Sleep well, I know I will........Boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 1:25am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

well pass that on to the f-in concerned party
because in my f-in eyes it equals about 10 grand. and tell him to buy a 600.00 cover to keep the water out of his boat...it wouldve been more practical than those shiney mufflers

question? why does he need a cover for inside storage? it's inside? leaky roof? why would water be an issue? next to the boat wash maybe?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 1:45am
bottom line it aint cheap, I know I will be 3k in materials, and that dont count shop rent or propane. I dont see how anyone can make money on doing a stringer job right, it can keep you busy in the winter but I don't know how anyone could make a business of it. I already spent 3k on tower and speakers, another 1k+ on amp wires battery, still need a transmission from eric, a new prop, new prop shaft, the hiteks are on the way, new fuel pump, regulator, and lines , fittings, new cam, etc... coulda just bought a super air with a python but wheres the fun in that...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 9:05am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

coulda just bought a super air with a python but wheres the fun in that...

LOL...and let's not forget the thrill of discovery?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 10:11am
because 79 he was suppose to pick it from my shop the week before and didnt make it and i had to put it outside for 3 days and it got soaked again (with the cover supplied)the f-in point is it shouldnt be getting soaked on new ***************in carpet or the glue will delaminate, i spoke with a chemist from RPM who makes the glues and he told me the glues take 6 months to fully cure and you cant leave new carpets saturated 24/7 with water. oh *************** jim, is that why i had to pull the trans a second time??cause that to was filled to the top with water

I' will be the first to admit when i f-up believe me

now that you know the whole story call your mom maybe she'll listen
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 10:21am
The answer to your question Boat Doc, if he was some knucklehead off the street i wouldnt have flinched and got my rate...I know what it takes to do this ***************, it aint my first rodeo and i do it day in and day out, not as a hobby. somehow you were making it out as im the bad guy in your hidden agenda and thats without knowing the facts.
Business is business and a line was crossed and i never ever cross that line on this site....
This is my lively hood and this is how i feed my family im not doing this *************** out in my garage
you tell me, did i do a good deed or did i just f-ck another boat owner
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 11:19am

because 79 he was suppose to pick it from my shop the week before and didnt make it and i had to put it outside for 3 days and it got soaked again (with the cover supplied)the f-in point is it shouldnt be getting soaked on new ***************in carpet or the glue will delaminate, i spoke with a chemist from RPM who makes the glues and he told me the glues take 6 months to fully cure and you cant leave new carpets saturated 24/7 with water. oh *************** jim, is that why i had to pull the trans a second time??cause that to was filled to the top with water

I' will be the first to admit when i f-up believe me

now that you know the whole story call your mom maybe she'll listen

if you know the glue shouldn't get wet and you know the guy isn't picking it up, why did you leave it outside, been sitting for three weeks what's another week? told him it was going to be inside so ????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 11:49am
number 1....with a good cover on a boat there is no reason it should get water in it
number 2 i told him since you didnt make it to my shop when you told me you would be there i would have to put the boat outside for the week because i have a business to run and i need the room
now...this cover has been on there since day one it is a mooring cover which is suppose to keep the water out..Correct?
number 3. i am not in the business of storing boats inside, heated all winter when they are dropped off in October

why, am i going through these rounds of questions when the writing is on the wall?

I have no control of what happens to a boat when it leaves here, carpet does not just buckle up to where i had to cut 2 inches from it to re-fit it after 2 months of being inside my shop to dry out.
why dont you question the other party involved and lets see what his take is on it and quit badgering me, i did what i was suppose to do, i am a perfectionist and you could look at every single picture in the foam removal topic and see i did...thats why i took pictures and posted every step of the way.
I saw the chain of events as they unfolded it started with bfn calling boat doctor to snivel and boat doctor dragged you into this problem to badger me
I know if i spent this kinda money on a boat to have it fixed i would make damn sure im going to take care of it and maybe you should badger the party involved in doing so....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:01pm
Aside from behind the curtains phone calls and internet badgering, I met Eric at his place of business while the boat in question was there for it's second go around. He was obviously bummed about it's condition after the time and work he put into it. It's too bad it came to this, wasn't something he wanted to air out on this site. Enough with the dirty laundry.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:15pm
thanks a million HW
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 4:08pm

i spoke with a chemist from RPM who makes the glues and he told me the glues take 6 months to fully cure and you cant leave new carpets saturated 24/7 with water.

Same thing happened to me Eric, about a month after I put in my new carpet I got caught in a downpour. The next day the carpet glue turned to mush and the carpeting was slipping as we walked on it. I just repostioned it and let it dry. It took the better part of the summer for that to go away but has never done it again, When we got caught in that downpour last fall at Shelbyville I thought Crap here we go again but it held up. And I did use a waterproof outdoor carpet glue, it's just not meant to be submerged.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 4:08pm
Enough can be enough that is up to Eric. For someone that did everything right he's awful defensive. I never started airing his dirty laundry. Eric, if you would like to try to say I don't care of my boat your wrong. If your going to tell the story about water in the trans tell them how it got there. As for a $600 why would I buy one when it lives in a garage when it is at home. By the way I picked the boat up on the day I said I would. when I talked to you the week before you said you needed a few more days. I said I would call you friday. I missed calling you yes but I never said I was picking it up that friday. By the way when I did pick my boat up you told me it was outside 2 days not three so which is it. Don't worry about my seat. I have it being shipped directly to me. I don't want to take up anymore of your hundred dollar an hour time. But you will be getting the bill for the carpet to be installed correctly. As I paid for that and did not get it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 4:29pm
My friend Harry Bush told me you should always lick the carpet to get it wet, is that what you guy's are talking about??
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

My friend Harry Bush told me you should always lick the carpet to get it wet, is that what you guy's are talking about??

Quinner, to me your comment & the talk of dirty laundry don't go well together!

Back to the pumpkin patch!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Back to the pumpkin patch!

I think it's pretty cool to see some of you following along! I enjoyed working on my last boat, but I have to say it's been a blast to share the 'fun' and to learn so much from all of you on this one.

And all the way from the left coast...douglas fir! At last, a material I understand. LOL

It's so nice really, that I may cringe when I goop epoxy all over it.

Doc, I've been thinking of what you said about layering your next stringers. I don't have reesaw capacity for this size material, but I know someone who does. I'd also have to build a torsion box that long for the form...Amy's goona shoot me?!!?

Maybe I won't reinvent the wheel, but if anyone wants to speculate with me...

1988 BFN-sold

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 6:54pm
BFN, Where did you get your wood from? I am on the east side of the states as well and about to need some for my project as well.

Kris
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 6:54pm
I think that doug fir will be fine. I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Look at Pete B. Tique's floor system. It's beautiful.

I haven't figured the cost of materials I will need to do my floor, but based on this thread, they are a lot more than I was anticipating. It is what it is, but I didn't think the carpet would be $300 or more. I was thinking all the materials I would need would be about $300.     
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:01pm
Riley, I did new epoxied fir stringers, plywood floors and carpet cost me about $1,500 to do myself.

I used Skibum's thread to help me order what I needed and I came out with just about the right amount of material.

82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:07pm
Big Pappa,I got it here. They also had some beautiful teak...but it was 33.35 b/f. Where's home for you?

Riley, what's on the bench was about $125, and that includes a couple of extra pieces. The rest of my bill was for fir ply.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:07pm
A friend of mine restored a beautiful 1937 Elco. He told me that if most people knew what they were getting into up front when they took on an old boat, there'd be no restored old boats.

Hopefully, I'm doing only one secondary stringer, the floor and the carpet, and will be well under $1,000. But, I like the boat, so whatever it costs.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

He told me that if most people knew what they were getting into up front when they took on an old boat, there'd be no restored old boats.

That's funny and is probably true for the classic wooden boats.

Hopefully, I'm doing only one secondary stringer

I can't imagine having to back into mine after all of this to fix the other?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

He told me that if most people knew what they were getting into up front when they took on an old boat, there'd be no restored old boats.

That's funny and is probably true for the classic wooden boats.

[QUOTE=Riley]Hopefully, I'm doing only one secondary stringer

QUOTE][
I can't imagine having to back into mine after all of this to fix the other?!!?[/

You're starting to sound like Pete.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:32pm

You're starting to sound like Pete.

I'll take that as a compliment!

What I mean is the mess in the garage, the ongoing case of the itchys, and mostly that I'm gonna put it all back in pretty solid and enjoy it till I die!

I wasn't on your case...
1988 BFN-sold

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Big Pappa,I got it here. They also had some beautiful teak...but it was 33.35 b/f. Where's home for you?

I am just north of Birmingham Al. How about you?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 7:42pm
It was a compliment. And Pete's probably right. He told me to pull my engine, which I wasn't going to do, but now I am. He told me that my stringers may not be solid, even though the hammer test I conducted on them last fall indicated they were. I hope he's not right on that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic