NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’63 Classic on e-bay

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Just think how you would have felt if you had paid for it all through paypal and not had Tim look at it, when they unloaded it in your driveway.

Man, I have been and it's not pretty! I may not have expressed myself as clearly as I meant to(I was trying not to sound as upset about the whole thing as I am), but I am so grateful for Tim's efforts and for this site and for all of yall's kind words.

There is a little about this whole thing that went on behind the scenes before I tripped over it on ebay with 10+ hours left on the auction. It had been on craig's list more than once before it even got to ebay. I've been following it off and on with Tim since he knew the area and had seen it as well...we kinda found it together on someone else's thread. Anyway, he had offered to look at it before, and I wouldn't have bid if I had let him go on in the first place. My bad and lesson learned. I won't be bidding blindly on something with 10 hrs left!

As much as I'm disappointed about not getting what I thought I was getting, there's no feeling like knowing my back was covered!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:35pm
What a concept...that strait shooting thing?!!? LOL I talked to him a couple of times since you left the boat and man, is he a piece of work?

I think it's too bad that we have to make decisions on who to trust...it'd be nice if that didn't even have to come up; but I get 2 points for my choice on this one!

1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:37pm
Greg, I don't know if I outbid you, but I put in an offer of $1,101 in the last seconds, but I hadn't logged in and by the time I did it was too late. If I had won, I would have drove down with the whole family, and when we got there it would have been de ja vou all over again, and then I would have been a 2 time dead beat buyer.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:43pm
I got clipped once, and once is all it took on e-bay, I won a bid on a 67 nova, it was well represented nice pictures (from a distance) i got the bid for $5900.00 and i paid 2 guys to drive up to get the car out of South Dakota which was another $1000.00 They rolled into my shop and i about sh*t, if it was a local car and the guy wanted to give it to me i wouldnt take it. At that point i had way to much in it and had to do something with it... not a good experience.
were all just lucky that there is a bond amongst eachother and TR would take his time to do that for you as i would also.
My hat is off to TR....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

were all just lucky that there is a bond amongst each other and TR would take his time to do that for you as i would also.
My hat is off to TR....

That reminds me of the best part...the seller actually said that the deal fell through because Tim looked at it too closely?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 4:59pm
With ebay,is there any process that a buyer can do to file a complaint or negative report on a seller? I'm just asking instead of waiting for the seller to file a bad report Greg, you could get ahead of the guy. Of coarse he may not give you a negative anyway.

Tim, how old is this guy? Is it the person that was pictured in the listing pictures? Did you get the impression that he thought he was being truthful in the listing? There are some that really don't know good condition from bad and this guy may be one of them!!

Greg, get a copy of those pictures so if needed you can use them as back up to ebay.

Greg, Have you given any thought about making the trip to GL this summer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:09pm
When I backed out of the Lyman, the seller wasn't bad about it, but said unless he complained about me, he would lose the listing fee. I told him to do what he had to do. He gave me a negative with comments, and I was able to respond with my own comments.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, how old is this guy? Is it the person that was pictured in the listing pictures? Did you get the impression that he thought he was being truthful in the listing? There are some that really don't know good condition from bad and this guy may be one of them!!

Pete, that could be him- that guys age is pretty close. I think what youre saying is exactly right- he thought that he desribed the boat accurately in the ad. I feel his communication skills could use some work. In my opinion, there is a big difference between "good condition" and "good condition for a 1962 that needs a complete restoration."

Greg, should I call the guy and apologize for "looking too closely"?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:26pm
My understanding with ebay is you got to buy it when you win. It's the buyer's responsibility to check before bidding. If Greg had paid with pay pal, he'd have himself a new boat with no recourse.

When I won the bid on the Lyman, the seller put all the responsibility on me by stating that he knew nothng about boats, and the description was accurate to the best of his knowledge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:27pm
The seller wanted me to mark the item as unpaid, which I did briefly and then marked it back to paid. I also left neutral feedback and have another chance to leave more. I do have copies of his pics and we all have Tim's excellent work, so I guess we'll see. I wish I knew what I was doing on ebay.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, should I call the guy and apologize for "looking too closely"?

Not! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:37pm

If Greg had paid with pay pal, he'd have himself a new boat with no recourse.

I was just shopping on ebay for an alternator. One seller said paypal preferred and had no other options. Another had his own store and was happy to take several forms of payment. This may be a clue?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

If Greg had paid with pay pal, he'd have himself a new boat with no recourse.

I was just shopping on ebay for an alternator. One seller said paypal preferred and had no other options. Another had his own store and was happy to take several forms of payment. This may be a clue?

Not exactly- I love paypal, and Im unlikely to do business with someone who doesnt accept it, at least for small items. Bruce is wrong when he said paypal offers no recourse- they do. There is a process to file a claim to get your money back. Also, if you pay through paypal using your credit card, you can do a chargeback through your credit card company as well. Its the most secure way to do business for both parties. Quick and easy to boot.

On anything big like a boat, its always a good idea to take a look at it in person if at all possible before sending the money.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:48pm
I don't do enough on ebay to know if that's a clue or not. I know we both got lucky on our boat purchases in that the sellers were happy to take a check or cash instead of some other means payable before inspecting the boat. In my case the seller's ebay account was not working. If it had been, I'm sure he would not have given back the money when I was not happy. Same as your seller.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:54pm
Tim, I didn't think there was any recourse in a case like this when the goods were delivered.

In this case, Greg would be saying the description of the boat was misleading and inaccurate, which we all know is true, but the seller would be saying IHO it was accurate and not misleading at all. He would have said you should have checked out the boat first. You think you could get the money back from pay pal?

In my case, in which the excat same thing happened, I felt lucky that I didn't pay upfront through paypal and was able to walk.

I had brought my wife and 3 kids with me. It was winter and the guy had the boat in his basement garage. We walked in to the garage and he lowered the doors. My wife and daughter were kind of freaking out when we were disagreeing on the condition and there was no door in sight. I told him it was a parts boat and was ready for firewood. I was glad to get out of there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 6:24pm

Tim, I didn't think there was any recourse in a case like this when the goods were delivered.

In this case, Greg would be saying the description of the boat was misleading and inaccurate, which we all know is true, but the seller would be saying IHO it was accurate and not misleading at all. He would have said you should have checked out the boat first. You think you could get the money back from pay pal?

He'd have more recourse through Paypal than he would if he had just mailed the check.
Something like this (disagreement on stated condition) isnt cut and dry. Im not overly familiar with it, but paypal does have a dispute resolution process, and transactions can be reversed. Who knows what would have happened. Im glad it didnt come to that.

Like I said, nothing beats seeing the item with your own eyes before handing over the cash. For smaller, less expensive items, thats not always practical. While certainly not perfect, Paypal is the next best thing (IMHO). Using a credit card on top of that would increase the protection as well.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 6:49pm
Makes sense.

Definately pays to have someone check out the item. Pretty cool that a guy in GA is able to have connections in MA in order to check out the boat.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:02pm
BuffaloBFN, I think a response is in order!

just another dead beat!!!wasted my time and yours   Feb-10-08 15:05
Seller: wrench-ma(37)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:41pm
Is that what he said about me? We have been e-mailing through ebay, I may pay his ebay fee since I did win the item...or maybe not; his attitude sux!
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:47pm
Go on to the listing and click on your name and you will see the feedback.

You can respond.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Is that what he said about me? We have been e-mailing through ebay, I may pay his ebay fee since I did win the item...or maybe not; his attitude sux!

Greg, dont bother. I believe he can relist it for no fee. Its not your fault it was misrepresented.

No need to act in good faith if he's going to bash you with negative feedback!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 1:15pm
When I backed out of the bid I won, the seller told me he wouldn't have to pay if he gave me a negative feedback. I did respond and state that the item was not described acurately.

Greg, in your case, it's not like you've got a great record to blemish. Tim, if he wants to bid again, can't he just sign up under a new name?
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:01pm
WOW......That's all i can say.....i just found this thread.....to much work and not enough time to look at the CC site.....Man Greg sorry your not a owner of a classic but what a great guy tim is for saving you the headache!!!Jeeeeez that guy Is for SURE the e-bayhole of the year!!!!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 7:45pm
Paul I just noticed you signature. What happen to your hull ornaments ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Paul I just noticed you signature. What happen to your hull ornaments ?

They went to Florida for the winter, wouldn't you.

Paul has to settle for the B-Team for a little while.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 9:38pm
You know sooner or later it will relisted, will be interesting if he changes description or takes different pic's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:09am
All those years I admired Pauls ornaments...now I got 'em!

Welcome back Paul...ya been gone to long.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:59am
But Paul's new ornaments probably got lots more money than the old ones. I know he knows what he's doing, so look for him to be getting a second boat soon. Gotta do what you gotta do, right Paul? Don't forget the Geritol.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 11:34am
Don't think i've been gone long enough.......

I'm working on new Ornaments.....

Jbear....looks like 79 has a facefull of the brunette....

Reid.....Damn your cruel!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:22am
Ha Ha, Buffalo is a dead beat!

Dead Beat Bidder
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic