NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’63 Classic on e-bay

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 10:28am
Your not far from Asheville, NC. I've driven there many times. Take 81 to Scranton, PA, then take 84 to the Mass Pike. Natick is off of the Mass Pike.   That's a great road. The only bad traffic is in Hartford CT.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 11:05am
Thanks Riley, we've been to Asheville many times. It's the home of a show bar called 'The Orange Peel...Pleasure and Social Club'. And no, it's a show bar for bands...not what yall were thinking. LOL Donna packs the place way past fire codes.

Do you make the trip in 1 leg?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 11:39am
I don't. On the way down we stop in Staunton or Harrisonburg, VA. About 11-12 hours from Portland. On the way back we stay around Harrisburg, PA.

My buddy that lives down there makes the drive a few times a year. He drives straight through, but will stop somewhere for about 5 hours. Natick is about 2.5 hours closer to Asheville than Portland. He usually makes the trip from Asheville to Portland in 16-17 hours of driving time.

That ride is a piece of cake. Hartford is easy as long as you miss comuting times. The only trouble I ever had was the area north of Scranton. It goes through the mountains. One time we went through there and they were predicting snow squals. Those squals were as much like a blizzard as I'd ever seen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 11:55am
This time of year it sounds like I should plan around the weather. Amy grew up in Kentucky and knows how to drive in snow...I know jack about it past the obvious?!!? I'm not even sure yet if she'll be able to get away as her company just started a high rise in atl, so I may be on my own. I did just remember that my best friend from high school is in DC with the Army...this is starting to sound like a cool adventure! LOL Stopping over at his place would be a blast compared to staying with my uncle!   
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 12:16pm
Greg, Where in KY is Amy from? I am from Paris (close to Lexington) myself.

2nd- What company does she work for? My company does work on quite a few of the buildings around town as well. We draw the precast panels that make up the exterior of the buildings.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:04pm
She's from Lexington and has friends in Paris. Small world, huh?
Her company is Isakson-Barnhart. I think this is their first high rise and they have only just contracted the property. They're known for big box centers.
1988 BFN-sold

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:51pm
Greg,

I don't know what arrangements you've made with Tim. He is a little closer to the boat and I think I and you would prefer if he make the assessment if the boat is "as represented". Once that is verified, my offer stands. I will pick it up and bring it here (assuming the seller wants it out of there) Depending on your route, Natick might be a slightly shorter ride than Cape Cod but not by much. At that point you could be coming across 95 (as an alternative to the mass pike route Bruce had mentioned)   In prividence you either stay on 95 and head north to Boston/Natick or get on 195 to come over to the Cape. Its about even. Have you been in touch with the seller? Has he made any representations about lights, tires and hubs. Just hoping it is road worthy enough to make the hour journey to here.

I make the N-S trek on a regular basis.   I would take 81 to Harrisburg, cut over to NJ, over the Tappan Zee bridge. That would be the least trafficed route. Richmond to Philly can be a bear sometimes on 95.

Let me know how I can help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 2:29pm
I haven't made any arrangements with Tim or for that matter, any at all. Tim and I talked about this boat in another thread and he offered to help as you are.

I sent the seller an e-mail and haven't heard back yet. I didn't send my $500 in yet either. This e-bay stuff is new to me, but I did talk to the seller when it was on craigslist. He seemed like an upfront guy and thought it was road worthy. I'm hoping he will let it sit where it is till I can come get it. I'm thinking I'll head that way next w/e, but I really wish I had saved his phone #. I'm about to look through my last phone bill for his number.

I appreciate your willingness to help...how can I return the favor?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 3:47pm
OK then, I talked to Rich(owner) and he wouldn't mind avoiding pay pal and so forth. Larry or Tim, could I send you a check to take to him and while you're there, could you make sure it's as represented? It's an old boat and I don't expect a lot, but it would be cool to know ahead of time that it doesn't have a drive through hole in the hull. He's also going to check with a friend about shipping it down here way cheaper than the quote I got on ebay. He thinks his guy might do it for $600-$700.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

OK then, I talked to Rich(owner) and he wouldn't mind avoiding pay pal and so forth. Larry or Tim, could I send you a check to take to him and while you're there, could you make sure it's as represented? It's an old boat and I don't expect a lot, but it would be cool to know ahead of time that it doesn't have a drive through hole in the hull. He's also going to check with a friend about shipping it down here way cheaper than the quote I got on ebay. He thinks his guy might do it for $600-$700.

Sounds fine to me. Ill email you my address. Id be happy to go take a look, along with any other CCFans in the area.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 4:10pm
Thanks Tim...Larry seemed to be saying that you'd be the guy to look it over. If you can let me know roughly when you'll be going his way, I'll let Rich know.

I owe you on this...maybe I'll save some oppossum jowels for ya?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Sounds fine to me. Ill email you my address. Id be happy to go take a look, along with any other CCFans in the area.

Tim, I'd be interested in going if you were going to do it during the week. Week ends are tough for me, but I've got plenty of time during the week. But, whatever your schedule permits...I'd be along just for the ride.

Natick is farther than I originally thought. At the begining of the thread, I had always thought it was around Saugus and Danvers, but it's out near Springfield, so not quite so close for me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Tim, I'd be interested in going if you were going to do it during the week. Week ends are tough for me, but I've got plenty of time during the week. But, whatever your schedule permits...I'd be along just for the ride.

Natick is farther than I originally thought. At the begining of the thread, I had always thought it was around Saugus and Danvers, but it's out near Springfield, so not quite so close for me.

Bruce, lets see how this week looks. Id like to see the boat while its light out- so Fri would be the best shot if its going to be a weekday. Otherwise, Sat or Sun might work better. Natick isnt too far- its still inside 495. I think thats in Ken's backyard- Ill put together an email in a day or 2 to see if anyone else is interested in taking a look.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 1:26pm
Greg,

Sounds like everything is under control. I offered to hold it for you figuring it would be a while before you could get up here and I know Tim didnt have any space locally. Didnt think you'ld be up as early next week, but I guess I would be pretty anxious to get into it too. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck with it. I've always liked those Classics, great looking boats. Not sure of my schedule next weekend but keep us posted on your progress and maybe a few of us can hook up for a cold one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:00pm
Thanks Larry, and I may yet take you up on it!
1988 BFN-sold

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:04pm
Actually, you spoiled my plan. I figured I could get your boat for you, you would get real busy and tied up with the BFN and just not find the time to get up here. I would be forced to give the Classic a good home get it running, and take it out to the pond for the occasional shake down run. Oh well.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:01pm
Greg,
Congrats and welcome to the Classic Club!

To provide some motivation for the loooooong path you are about to walk, picture this: Hopping in the Classic in the evening, firing her up and going on a little cruise with your arm around Ms. Buffalo (Mrs. by then) snuggled in right in next to you.

Bench front seats rule!

BTW, I saw your boat on Craig's list a few weeks ago and was talking to the guy. I didn't know he was putting up on Ebay though. He wanted $1500 at the time, so you did good.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

BTW, I saw your boat on Craig's list a few weeks ago and was talking to the guy. I didn't know he was putting up on Ebay though. He wanted $1500 at the time, so you did good.

Im sure Greg is well aware- we've been following this boat on craigslist for over 2 months! Judging by the pics, Id say he did very well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Greg,
Congrats and welcome to the Classic Club!

Thanks Steve, we can't wait to get it here! I was just looking at yours(sharp), what do you or anyone think about my engine cover? And is that a CC trailer?

I better stop counting chickens 'till Tim gets a look at it.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 9:01pm
Tim, Rich called today to give me the info for the transport company. It's called Bomar transportation and is a husband and wife team. He's gonna bring it for $500 COD. I won't get to meet you guys until later(hopefully GL), but I can't beat that price. This all hangs on you giving your approval when you see the boat and Amy getting a copy of their insurance tomorrow.

I told Rich you'd probably be by friday afternoon or saturday(hope I didn't overstep my bounds), and he asked that you give him a day's notice as he is about 30 mins away from the boat. He also knows you will have the check and the 'gavel'!
1988 BFN-sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 9:07pm
Greg, look under 1962 & 63 in the brochure section for trailers.It's hard to see in the pic's but it's either a # 2 or 3.My Mustang is on a 2 so maybe a Classic being longer is on a 3? It will be marked on the serial tag.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 9:29pm
Thanks Gary, I looked through a little and am doing more now. I seem to have too many projects going?!!? My trouble is I didn't know much about 80's CC's when I got started with all this, and I know even less about the 60's boats...and I'm not sure what is factory and what isn't. Pete was concerned about the engine cover...I saw a woody in the diaries that had a similar scoop(box) on top and had lines and a trailer very similar to this classic and it was older. So you think it's a CC trailer? I guess time will tell.

Reid, I was going back through the links you sent. Thanks for the time you spent on posting that, and I can't wait to get it here. I just e-mailed my dad to tell him about the Y-block and he actually wants to help me with it. How cool is that?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:13pm
Greg, I would say that is definately a CC trailer, and one of the factors that makes the boat such a good buy.

Whether the motor box is original or not is a minor issue. Depending on what you do for carbs, you can either make one that is close enough, or an exact replica.

What's great about that boat, if it's as nice as I'm hoping, is that it's just about all original, everthing's there and the gel coat is in decent shape.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:20pm

Greg, I would say that is definately a CC trailer, and one of the factors that makes the boat such a good buy.

I've been thinking/hoping it was but have been scared to ask. Some of the classics in the diaries have tandem trailers and must be original because several are exactly alike. The tandem might have been nice, buy I can't have everything.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:22pm
I think tandems are a PIA. I'd want that trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:59pm

I think I follow you...the bfn has a tandem under it and it requires the truck to move it even with the boat off.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:05pm

I think I follow you...the bfn has a tandem under it and it requires the truck to move it even with the boat off.

That's it.

One of the Classic owners could chime in, but I would guess that motor box is original except for the hole that was cut in it and the scoop that was added.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:20pm
From what I can tell, the trailer looks to be an original CC. Like Pete, I would guess that the motorbox is not original, and has been rebuilt to clear a 4bbl carb.

Greg, that sounds fine- its looking like Fri afternoon right now. Larry, Bruce- I sent you guys an email. Let me know if you want to meet up.

I dont have Rich's address, but Ill give him a call when we straighten out our plans.

I would assume that the transport company is fully insured? Let me know if you need me to check anything other than the boat. Id guess they'd be pulling the boat on its own trailer, so hopefully its roadworthy for such a long journey!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:35pm
Tim, make your plans and I'll let you know by Wednesday. You're meeting later in the day than I was hoping for. I've got to be in Portland by 5:00 on Friday, but I may be able to change my plans.

$500 seems like cheap money to haul that boat, unless the guy is going that way anyway.
I'd be curious what his deal is.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:49pm
Bruce, Ill talk to Rich and let you know. It wouldnt take much to convince me to take a half day- Ill see when he's available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic