Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serious Sinus Infections From Wipe Outs?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious Sinus Infections From Wipe Outs?
    Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:21am
Hey Guys,
I'm new around here. In my introductory post I mentioned as a kid growing up we had a few Correct Crafts around. I'm 35 now and as an adult I've owned two Correct Crafts and a Master craft (and a coupla hot rod outboards I'm trying to forget). My dad grew up skiing behind whatever they could find to pull them. I remember when he quit skiing because he would get terrible sinus infections for about 10-14 days after, if he would take a bad spill. I never thought much of it till I hit about twenty and it started happening to me. I really pursued skiing and barefooting fairly seriously and figured it would be a lifelong activity for me. But for the last several years about all I can do is ride the slalom ski without pushing the envelope too much so I wont fill my sinus cavities with river/lake water and be completely miserable for the next several days. I have asked doctors but didn't get any help there. A few years ago i was trying to land a flip on the wake board and took many bad crashes as you can imagine. Within four hours my sinuses were completely jacked up, eyes watering, and had a fever. Does this s#!t happen to anyone else, or do you know someone that it does? If so, what's the cure?
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:46pm
It happens to me about once a year. I get water up the nose and then I get the miserable sinus infection. Nothing worse than that smell all the time.    I went to the doctor and I think I got penacillin pills for it and that clears it up in about 10 days. But thats after I give it 10 days on its own. it is about 50/50 on healing itself.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 1:00pm
Porter - If you are out west, whatever you do don't snort the water at Lake Havasu!
Naegleria fowleri
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 1:21pm
This is a common occurence in the Carolinas with the warm water temps. What I have found to be the best preventative is a waterproof clear band-aid. Pinch your nose closed and apply the band-aid. The band aid is almost invisible so you need not be concerned with losing any style points and just go have fun.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:12pm
I've seen guys use athletic tape, duct tape and nose plugs. THe only problem is if you seriously breathe through you nose while you ski. For some people they like they can't breathe with the aforementioned materials on their nose. I would say that the starts are far worse than any crash I have taken. I would try a combination of these until you get comfortable with one and then stick with it.
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:31pm
SNobsessed, at one time I wanted to go to Havasu pretty bad. However, that was before the wife and three boys. NCH20SKIER, I like the clear bandaid idea. I'm not overly concerned with my appearance, But I may be a little self contioius with a big ole piece of duct tape on my face. I guess styling point are a bit of a concern after all. Thanks for the suggestions. At least I know I'm not the only one.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 4:26pm
nexcare tape at the drug store works great. You will never guess where I got that tip from.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 5:56pm
James is right...Nexcare "Flexible Clear"....without I can't stand the water either...with it I can do deep waters and try back deeps as long as my energy holds out. Had to quit these activites until I met backfoot100 (Eddie) and he turned me on to this great tape.
Can't see it in the pictures either...so you still will look cool.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 7:52pm
As a show skier nothing looks worse than a nose plug. The band aids work quite well but I like the tape idea as well.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:21am
The tape is the answer to your problems....I've had the best luck with 3M ...Nexcare DuraPore or Surgical Tape. That stuff really sticks well. So well in fact that you have to be a bit careful to leave the skin on your nose when you peel the tape off. It is white and visable but if you're more concerned with skiing while avoiding sinus infections than picking up chicks it is the ticket. For me the goofy look is well worth it.....the one time I skied without it last summer earned me a 2 month infection that finally got cleared up with antibiotics after a trip to the doc.

The water up the nose never bothered me in my younger years.....several people I've talked to seem to have developed the problem as they get older.
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:23am
Thanks! Nextcare may be the answer to my problem. I'm going to give it a try. Not any time soon though. Just got in from eating dinner and running around, 11 Degrees outside! Burrrr.
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:43am
LaurelLakeSkier, I assume from your name that would be Laurel Lake by Corbin? My favorite lake. My brother in law lives in Barbourvile. We don't get down there near as much as we used to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 3:10am
No.....this Laurel Lake is in northern Wisconsin.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 10:07am

Lake #8

Mark, Laurel lake - A couple hundred acres?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:22am
Eight post and already exposing my intelligence.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:58am
Jbear, also wears a shower cap to protect that not a hair out of place mane he's stylin, its see through though and you barely notice it
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mark, Laurel lake - A couple hundred acres?

A very close estimate.....in checking, it is 232 acres.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 4:34pm
you gotta look good to do good I always say eric.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 10:29am
j-bear, i always gotta sneak something in,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 12:28pm
I never had a problem until last year. Guys on this site have seen my face swell up, and nose turn in to a one way street OUT hours after skiing. Turns out I had a deviated septum, which made it all worse. I can ski w/o the tape now but still try to remember to use it as a preventative measure.
Porter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 4:58pm
Wow! Sorry so many are saddled with the sinus problem. However, misery loves company

It seems if a guy was doin' some skiing at one of your CC reunions he would have to wear tape on his face to be cool. I can here it now "Look at that idiot skiing without the tape face. Who invited him?"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:33pm
Don't worry Porter..I think you'll fit right in.

eric; It's all good man...no problem...in fact I kinda look for them little quips.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 1:56am
Four hours is pretty fast for an infection to take hold. I'm not a doctor but a Wilderness E.M.T. and I know it's possible to have a allergic reaction to some algae. Try taking a over the counter antihistamine and if the symptoms go away and stay away it's probably a allergy. If it keeps coming back and a prescription antibiotic clears it then it's a bacterial infection. If it ends up being the second thing, that's pretty gross. I would consider a new lake.
Work to live, not live to work.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 11:34am
I concur, asudden allergic reaction. Infection can take hold later leading one to assume it was an infection to start.

Also I agree the best cure I found is to ski different water. I'm most sensitive now to the water I grew up on and had injested gallons; a reaction within 6-8 hours. But go down the road to a different water, no reaction.

A preemptive benydril can ease the comming reaction; but if you wait till there are symtoms, its mostly too late.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic