NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Mustang steering wheel/pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Mustang steering wheel/pylon
    Posted: January-04-2008 at 1:11am
Looking for a steering wheel and pylon for a 68 Mustang.

Thanks,

Trevor
Trevor 1968 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 9:33am
Trever, You may get better results by posting in the "boat parts wanted" section.

The wheel you may find on ebay. Set ebay to notify you by email for marine wheels and I'm sure something will come up.

The pylons are very hard to find and it may have to be fabricated. A good welding shop can do it if you can't. If you need to go that route, I'm sure someone here can do some measuring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 11:15am
Pete, I've been debating with my boys about keeping the pylon and the clearence bar in our Mustang. They want to keep it because it's a nice old ski boat. I'm thinking about getting rid of it because we'll never use it and it takes up space. What do you think?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 11:53am
Bruce, I don't think you will be surprised with my answer. I'm with the boys and would keep them. How much space does the pylon really take up? Of coarse not ever meeting you I really don't know if you are a large stature person or not! The clearance bar isn't really taking up room.

What's the latest from Eric on the trans?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 12:09pm
We're not big people, although I'm not nearly as lean as the boys, (that's an understatement). The boat also came with this top, do you think it's original?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but everytime someone is looking for a pylon, I consider getting rid of mine.

I spoke with Eric a few weeks ago and he was working on it between jobs. Hopefully, it will be ready in the not too distant future. My plan of attack is to reinstall it and start working on the floor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 1:48pm
Bruce, It looks like a original Taylormade top to me. There should be a sewn on lable somplace that would indicate the manufacturer. The canvas tops weren't very popular on the typical "ski" boat but some who wanted them would have the dealer install them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 1:55pm
There was a time that I would have made fun of and not even considered buying a Correct Craft with one of those ugly things.

My kids hated it, so we removed it, but given the way it was installed, the age of the hardware, and that it is listed as an option, I started thinking it might be original. My tastes have changed and I may put it back on the boat. It is in good condition.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've been debating with my boys about keeping the pylon and the clearence bar in our Mustang. They want to keep it because it's a nice old ski boat. I'm thinking about getting rid of it because we'll never use it and it takes up space.

Bruce, your boys are right- it is a nice old ski boat. Nothing wrong with taking some turns behind some old chrome! Just leave em in- its always nice to have the option. It was built for skiing, after all.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 12:46am
Having spent time behind a Mustang, I'll agree with Tim and Pete. It is a nice old ski boat and and should still be able to provide the pull it was designed for....keep the pylon in place.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 1:43am
And on the plus side if someone's sitting on the motorbox that pylon makes a great hand hold.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic