NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet Replacement
    Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:20pm
This is a very common topic. I would to know what it takes to replace the carpet.

These are the steps I know:
1. Removed the carpet and use a a template.
2. Remove the glue. Any suggestion on how to do it?
3. Floor prep. Do I need to re-seal the floor? Which product should I use?
4. Put glue on floor. What kind of glue?
5. Put carpet. Any lesson learned on how to do it easier. Unrolling it?

I am trying to record these steps? Maybe we should have an area of how to so we don't have to ask the same question multiple times.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:41pm
1. Correct. Leave the new piece a little big in every direction.
2. I scraped as much off as would come with a metal scraper. To get the last of the residue, I resorted to acetone and a wire brush.   Talk about a PITA.
3. Not if the fiberglass is in good shape. If you see any cracks or weak spots, by all means fix/reinforce them with glass. Use epoxy resin and mat/cloth.
4. The indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot or Lowes worked fine for me. I tried spreading it with the ridged trowel, but I found a paint brush worked easier. Be careful not to get the glue on the soft side of the new carpet- this was the hardest part of the job. Have a rag and acetone at the ready for when you hit it by mistake (dont let it dry).
5. Dont try and do it all at once. Lay the carpet perfectly in place first. Then lift up a section and spread the glue. Unroll the carpet back down. Use a heavy duty roller to smooth it and eliminate any wrinkles. Move on to the next section. Do the sides first, followed by the floor.

If youre replacing the plastic carpet trim, this complicates things. I found a method that worked OK. Glue the floor down with the exception of the last 12" on the outside. Once dry, trim the carpet so there is a 1/2" gap where you can see the fiberglass floor. Then install the trim by spreading some glue where the carpet will touch it, and forcing the carpet into it. Work small sections at a time until the entire side is done. Once that glue is dry, pull back the carpet with the trim attached (the outside 12" is still not glued down). Work from one end to the other until the entire thing is glued down. Roll it flat. Do the other side the same way.

Last step is to do the final trimming around the motor mounts and battery box.

Tools:
-heavy roller
-sharp blades (stanley knife)
-paint brush
-large regular screwdriver (helps to force the carpet into the plastic trim)
-acetone and rag
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 8:04pm
Excellent:
I bet a lot of us would find this very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
bflat53212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflat53212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 11:47am
"Leave the new piece a little big in every direction."

No offense, but this really was a bad suggestion. This really screwed me over and cost me a lot of time. Trying to recut the carpet, just a little off in every direction is a pain in the ass. Just my suggestion, don't do this, the old carpet is already stretched from where it needs to be anyways.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 12:35pm
Sorry it didnt work out for you b but I think I would have to support the recommendation. I redid carpet this spring using Tim's guidance above and it came out pretty good,

and I think most people that have redone carpet have cut larger and then trimmed down. To not do so assumes you are going to get it perfect first time laid out on the garage floor. That seems unlikey to me. Advice on this site is about 50% fact and about 50% experience or opinion, which certainly allows for some variety, so whatever works for you. Just my .02 on the recommendation to cut bigger.

Anyway, hope the project ultimately came out ok for you (pictures??) and welcome to the site.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 1:36pm
I don't have a carpet stretcher so I also cut my carpet a little larger than needed. I followed Tim's proceedure almost to the letter(thanks again Sir!), and it came out pretty well. I think I would have tried to do the floor carpet and the trim at the same time without his idea...and that would have been a mess laced with harsh language?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 4:36pm
Greg,
Did you buy new transition moulding or did your old stuff clean up pretty good? If so, what did use to clean it. I read that someone used 3M 5200 sealer in their moulding to glue the carpet in but that would pretty much guarantee you could never use the moulding again.
Also did you just use the carpet glue to glue down the moulding to the floor or did you use something else?
That turned out nice. Is that navy blue or a lighter blue and where did you buy it? I need to do my 88.
Thanks
Kurt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 8:31pm
LOL! I'm the one who used the 5200. Part of me wanted to use 4200, but the 5200 tacks up quick...that was a big help. It's a slow job anyway!

As for cleaning, I used soap and water and a small screwdriver on the original trim. There's still some paint overspray of some kind on 1 piece and another is crooked even after being out in the southern sun. It's glued down with the same carpet glue, but I also cut the edges long enough to pinch the outside edge to the side. If I ever do replace it or try to make it 'show', I'll make teak trim to go in its place. Amy wants the dash converted to teak as it is!   LOL

The carpet is pretty simple; indoor/outdoor from lowe's. I bought it few years ago when the interior was done to match the engine cover. It's a navy blue and very closely matches the original. The original had black fibers mixed in that this does not. I like the brighter change and it sure does feel good under foot. We're going back out after dinner...Whooo hoo!
1988 BFN-sold

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 2:57pm
Where did you guys buy the carpet? I'm trying to find some high quality enough that wont fall apart.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 3:50pm
Peter.
Have you been around for awhile or have you just found the site? Ether way, Welcome!

Is the carpet for the Mustang? Is it carpet now? Do you have the original fiberglass floor pan?

We're big on seeing pictures. Got to see some if you have some.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:31pm
Greg, (or anyone else with an 80's hull)
Did you get the 6 foot or 8 foot wide carpet. How many linear feet did you buy?
Kurt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

Kurt

I bought mine 2-3 years ago and don't remember the details. I did use 8' and I seem to remember getting 2.5 times the length of the boat...but don't hold me to it!

Edit-Looking back at my own pics, it looks like 6 foot. The widest part of your floor is the widest you need.

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 2:19pm

Kurt

Like Greg said, you can get away with the 6' width. My piece was cut large (6'6") and was wide enough for my '90, which is a bit wider than the 2001. 2.5x the length of the boat will be plenty- 2x for the floor and sides, and an extra 9-10' for panels, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 5:24pm
Yea, I haven't measured it yet but it doesn't look like a single 8' piece of carpet is enough to do the floor and up the sides to the gunwale. Especially after trimming the floor out. Thanks guys.
Kurt
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 6:55pm

Kurt

As I only wanted to do the floor (sides were good) and being frugal I bought some 6 x 8 pieces of a outdoor carpet that kinda looks like corduroy. One piece from the kick panel up front to the sides by the motorbox and the second piece did the rear to the gas tank. The seams are almost invisable and the grey floor with blue sides has a nice contrast. Both pieces and 3 cans of 3M spray glue were about $60.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2009 at 6:27pm
I am in the middle of carpeting my wife's Mustang.   I bought my carpet from pontoonstuff.com    as I have had good luck with them before. I use a 6' x 30' piece of 20oz. and will have enough left for some dock bumpers. IIRC it was like $220, no tax, no shipping.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

k9spd403 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k9spd403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 9:43pm
has anyone tried that new marine vynl carpeting yet? its a little bit more $$$ but they say its worth it. Just wondering how easy it is to install
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 10:52pm
K9 - do you have a link on the vinyl carpeting? I have never heard of it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 3:59pm

Kurt

Sorry I took so long to respond, i put this off over the winter and getting started on it again. i need to get this finished so i can get in some pulls!

ANyways I'll take some pictures tom. morning and post them up for you. I'd appreciate any help. I'm totally frustrated with the wiring. once i knock that out I'll have the carpet to deal with then painting and putting it all back together again!
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by k9spd403 k9spd403 wrote:

has anyone tried that new marine vynl carpeting yet? its a little bit more $$$ but they say its worth it. Just wondering how easy it is to install

WOW finally some great carpet, i bought the 28OZ I've been looking for the really nice thick stuff, I really appreciate it!

I bought 25x8.6 , that has to be more then enough! once again thank you! i also bought their sealant i hope it works fine, seems like it should.
1970 Mustang
k9spd403 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k9spd403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 4:25pm
http://www.boatcarpetbuys.com
get them to send you a sample the material is kool and i bet its so much cooler on your feet than my black carpet is
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 10:19am
Replacing it like for like must be easy!! When I did mine I replaced it as one piece (like the one I took out) so the floor and the hull sides are all one bit of carpet - now that is a challenge I can tell you! To make it just that bit more difficult for myself i chose a carpet with a ribbed weave, so I had to get that to line up fore and aft as well. I am still pleased with the result a year on every time I look at it! There's just one little crease, but that's hidden by the obs seat base anyway.

Only after completing mine did I look at the 2001 that was stored next to mine and see that the original CC carpet was separate pieces - now that would have been easier!
Easily Parted From Money
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 2:40pm
We were able to get away with the 6 footer also. Folded in half at the bottom of the gunwale as shown and did wall, then the floor sides, then hit with a tucking tool in the crease and cleaned up the molding with laquer. This will give you an idea:

mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 2:45pm
Also be sure that since you are doing this in pieces, because I see this all the time..

Make sure you match the carpet "grain" or direction on both walls to the floor!
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 7:09pm
For my 1988 BFN I did not receive the black trim pieces that border the center panel behind the motor. Are they the same type of trim as the side trim pieces? If so I assume they attach to the sides of the panel and not the floor?
Thanks.......Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 7:21pm
Yes and Yes Tom. Common practice is to omit the floor panel trim and wrap the carpet instead.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:36am
Thanks Kevin,
Yes that is what Ryan was saying. So we plan to extend the floor carpet over the 3/4 inch lip the panel sits in. And glue/staple it to the side.
For the center panel just wrap around the edges and glue/staple on bottom???
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 11:19am
I wouldn't say it's "common practice" to omit the trim on the removable panel. You certainly can do so, but it can be tricky on certain boats depending on how that panel is supported. Stringer/floor/support height may need to be altered to account for the extra height of the carpet (when wrapped around he bottom of the panel). A lot of times it's easier to just reinstall the trim... And that's probably what I'd recommend in this instance.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 1:11pm
Ryan - good photos! What is that air-powered tool you are using in those first couple of pictures? The carpet looks great. Well-done.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2013 at 2:00am
I cut my carpet in the driveway and my old carpet got destroyed during removal so it was all measure and cut. I almost screwed this up a couple times... My one word of caution is be careful and pay attention. It makes perfect sense to cut the carpet a little longer than you need. However when cutting the middle, you may measure 30" across x 45" long. If you aren't paying attention you may make your cutout 32" across and 47" long because that's bigger but you'd end up with a bigger hole and now you'd have bare floor that isn't covered.

As for laying it in the boat... I actually folded mine in half, put the glue down, and carefully unfolded the carpet. I don't own a CC and used the 8.5' wide carpet which is really a bear to work with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic