NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas Ski?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 1:11am
I took a slalom lesson for the first time ever this summer. Not only improved my skiing immensely in just 3 sets, but made skiing really fun again. Keeping it fun is a key...glad you're on to it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:21am
I'm just happy to get out there as much as possible. It's a little rough when you see a video of yourself slalom skiing (which I recently did) and you don't look like your getting over near as far as you thought you used to! But, hey, reality being what it is, I've been just a little preoccupied the last 20+ years raising 3 kids and working. I don't know about you guys, but looking back, I was definitley a little spoiled in this area. I worked and all that as a kid too, but I must confess, I learned to do what skiing I can do mostly on gas that my Dad bought! AND THAT'S A LOT OF GAS! I was looking at an old post the other day basically about everybody's Dad's contribution to their love for boating and/or skiing. It's a good read if anybody hasn't seen it.
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 12:19pm
Now we are paying for our kids gas. I hope my kid does not do to my boat what I did to my dads boat. Oh that's a bad thought.
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 9:34pm
Well the decision was made today for me. I stopped in to a dealer where I was working and they had the HO 71 magnum (Freeride series). I ask if they had a Christmas sale and the guy said the ski would be $125.00. How could you pass that up.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 11:44am
Man! That's cheap! I did a search for that ski and I was seeing prices well over $300 (if I'm looking at the right thing). That ski and the description of what it is and attempts to do in its design sounds very cool. Not so much a compromise between comfort and ablility to "ski well" but an effort to make a ski that adequately provides both. It also looks very cool! Oh, now you've done it! I want one!

I think this is a link to a description (etc.) I found yesterday:

http://www.ridewatersports.com/20hospma71sl.html
Inboards Rule!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:01pm
$125, was that for the blank ski only? If that included a binding as well that is an excellent deal. Good luck with the new ski!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:05pm
I had gone to several places. The place I just bought my boat from came down to $289. A second place came down to $240. I had planed to buy it there and I was trying to decide between 69 and 71 inches. When he quoted me that price it made up my mind. The 71 is huge but if I do not like it I can sell it.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:21pm
Yeah, 71" probably does seem pretty big! My old 68" O'Brien always looked kind of large, comparatively.
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 5:09pm
Sorry, Ya that was with the bindings. I like a rear toe so that is what it has. I am not to sure how I will like the front binding. Now the waiting starts.
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 4:57pm
As I get older (44) I still love the full body workout that comes with slalom skiing. The aches and pains feel ok when they come from a good workout. I'ts the embarassment of getting into that second binding without flailing around (hopefully not banging the boat with the ski) that I don't like. Sheesh sometimes those feet seem so far away. Well my friends haven't told me it's time to go to an open binding in the back yet.          
88 2001
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 6:49pm
I got very used to having a rear heel binding, but I've never kept it real tight, especially as time has past. Still; feeling it back there makes me feel like my back foot won't pop out.

So who drags a foot and who puts it in to start? I assume most with a rear heel in the back start with your foot in, but I've (with that older type rear binding) always been able to drag my foot, pop it in the front of the rear binding (once up) and then just reach down and pull the heel part on. It's gotten a little harder, but I can still do it.

Gotta keep in mind, those are pretty old bindings (on my mid 1970's O'Brien) and they didn't have the more current "death grip" feature back then.

I tried out a real nice wake board this summer that a friend had and the binding was tremendous w/ regard to a snug fit, but it was akward for me. It had a kind of snow ski clamp gizmo along with the laces. Once you were in; you were in!

When I was done playing and all worn out, they just tied my head to the dock and easily pulled the wakeboard off of my feet with my buddy's pickup. Low 2 worked pretty well.

Just kidding.
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 2:26am
I can't ski with a full binding in the back. It gives me claustrophobia. The front boot can't be too tight either.

I also have problems with rings and shoes that are too tight.

Is it easier to get up with your foot out of the back? I have never tried it.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 1:27pm
It's much easier physically. With your rear foot in (vs) out you end up putting a lot more weight back there during starts so it takes more strength to get up. Think of how a stern drive (weight in rear) labors to take off vs an inboard (weight in the middle). I'd say it's similar to that.

I think I started doing "foot out" starts way back when because when I was about 14, we went from our Chris Craft inboard with a 283 V8 to a Crestliner with an 85 Johnson outboard. It did okay except on starts it couldn't compare to inboard torque.

Starting with the back foot out, technically however, I'd say is only easier "at first" because you can use your back foot a little like a rudder, but then, as I mentioned above, you gotta get your back foot in which is no problem at all if you don't have a rear binding, but a little trickier if you do.

I hope no advanced trick skiers are reading this. Probably laughing if they are. The better ones have their rear foot in and out of the binding, in the toe rope, over the tow rope, etc. all the time. I've always felt that those guys (and girls) were some of the best skiers because of the balance required.

I can start backwards and do turn arounds on the older (traditional) trick skis; that's about it. I do know on trick skis you "NEVER LOOK DOWN!"

Back to your original question; since you said you don't use a rear binding, you should find it's easier and no problem getting your back foot in once up.

I think really with an inboard's power (which most here are using) you wouldn't notice getting up being difficult. Even all these years after the outboard, I've mostly skied behind my Cobalt with a stern drive. Even with it's 290 hp and a good prop, it's not as quick out of the hole as an inboard.
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 4:41pm
This next summer will be the first time behind a v-drive. I sold my Malibu Sunsetter that could tear your arms out. The v-drive should have the same pull with the correct prop. The new boat is the SV 211. I skied behind a test boat but have not skied behind mine. It was fine to ski behind. Not the direct drive but it will do. I have three different props for it. I can't wait for next summer. New boat, new wakesurf board and new ski.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 5:15pm
Even with the same old boat and ski, I can't wait for next summer, but I can understand your eagerness! My next steady use of a direct drive for skiing will be getting my '64 Dunphy back together. Something tells me that won't quite be next summer (but you never know).
I hate to show my ignorance; is the SV211 a new CC?
I skied behind a Mastercraft X-1 last summer (I know, blasphemy here). It was a V-drive I think (could be wrong about that). Anyway, kind of a big boat for what I'm used too but plenty of power with the small block it had. Not real fast though.
I finally saw those MC youtube videos guys were talking about here. Man, that just wasn't very nice at all! I never liked bashing something in order to brag up what you like or think is good. Why not just brag a little w/o the insults?
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 4:43pm
The SV 211 came out in I think 2004. It is called a crossover boat. It took a long time to decide a v-drive would work. The 211 is a boat that does everything good. It is not great at anything but it fit well with what we do. We spent some time on it in the fall and it handles almost as good as a direct drive of the same size. I guess it is approved to pull "C" class ski tournements.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 6:13pm
It sounds nice. I think a lot of older v-drives are pretty cool. I think the old Century Arabians were and, even some of the old Donzi's (18's and 16's) had v-drive set ups, though usually stern drives. Then there's the flat bottom racy boats of the 60's. They were neat. It does sort of make sense for a good all around ski boat I would think. With the shaft through the bottom and rudder steering, it would have to feel a good bit like a direct drive inboard, but with the benefit of some weight a little further back for wake boarding and stuff (not to mention the extra room factor -- the one I was in seemed very spacious).
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 10:42pm
The room was a big factor for me. I like to have a place for everything and that is a bunch easier with the v-drive.

I skied once behind a 18' Donzi when I was young. It was a great boat but it had the hardest wake I have ever seen. It had a very deep V. It could handle rough water. It was a stern drive but if it had been a V-drive it would have been a great wakesurf boat.   
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 11:37pm
My Cobalt 16 (I think) might actually be a good wake surf boat (just theorizing here) if it had a really low pitch prop that would allow it to hold a steady speed in the teens or low twenties because it throws a mighty wake for a small (but reasonably heavy) boat at that speed. I just can't hold it in that neighborhood where I'm thinking you would want it. Similar to wake board speed? Or is it slower for surfing?
You ought to try two adults and three growing kids in in my little 16. My Cobalt is identical to the Donzi. If you know those, you know "We ain't got no room!" It's kind of a zoo with a pair of combos, a slalom ski, my trick skis and my daughter's wake board. I really should share a picture of that! I think I have one somewhere!
Inboards Rule!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 3:17am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

My Cobalt 16 (I think) might actually be a good wake surf boat (just theorizing here)

I think you're kidding, but not sure. Just in case: stern drives and I/Os are not acceptable as wakesurf boats. Way, way too dangerous to be that close to the back of the boat and that exposed prop.

Wakesurf speed is usually 9 or 10 mph behind a direct drive or v drive inboard. BKH

Livin' the Dream

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 10:47am
Oh, duh! - I totally forgot about the "don't-use-a-sterndrive-or-outboard--you'll-get-chopped-up" safety factor, and was momentarily just thinking of the wake size, etc.
Being only 45, I'll call that a "Junior moment!" I feel pretty stupid; I actually mentioned that earlier (like a week ago). Not sure what I was thinking.

Wow! 9 or 10? That is putting along!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 1:28pm
It is funny how boat sizes have changed. Growing up my dad had a 19 foot boat and it was the biggest in the group that we camped and skied with. The second generation of the group has gone to direct drives and v-drives. The smallest boat in the group is 19' 6' and the largest is 23'.

That 16' Donzi is a neat boat. I bet you have just as much fun as we do in the new boats. Some day you should try the wakesurfing. not behind your boat but If you get a chance give it a try. It was fun enough fot me to buy a new boat.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 5:00pm
I had a friend who made that same observation sevearl years ago. When we were kids everyone's boats were pretty much 16' or 18' or so (an occassional 20' footer). Now everything is a lot bigger. I'm glad, in a way, that they have a 24' (or maybe 25') limit on the lake I usually ski (or boat) on.
They had some 30' Scarabs years ago and they allowed a grandfather clause to let those handful remain as long as they tagged them and ran them there every year. Eventually, they all disappeared.
Yeah, the wake surfing does look cool to me too. Gives me more motivation to get the ole' Dunphy inboard project moving along.
In the mean time, the little Cobalt/Donzi (that I've had for almost 23 years now) is still a lot of fun (just crowded)! It's a blast with just one or two people in it! And still fun even with a couple more, but you start noticing the extra weight at that point and it gets more bouncy.
To see what the boat looks like, here's a link (click below) to a web site (Classic Cobalt) that discusses and pictures the Donzi model Cobalt "splashes." I actually started the little site years ago (with my daughter's help) and then quit fooling around with it when the "free" web site deal started charging to remain active. I can't change anything now, but this much remains. Anyway, that's the little Cobalt XV-200 (like mine) pictured jumping on the first page the link takes you to.
http://www.geocities.com/classic_cobalt/
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 1:42pm
I had forgotten that you can get those completely out of the water and they land so soft. The 18' Donzi was like an overgrown jet ski when it came to jumping. How many different boats do you need? I can think of about five different types of boats I would like to have. My ski boat, a river boat, a go fast boat, maybe an air boat maybe a house boat.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 11:02am
I'd say on a web site like this; if it floats and has a propeller, it's probably of interest to someone here!
I know what you mean. The ski boats and go fasts appeal to me a lot. I'm personally usually a fan of smaller ones though (under, say 22' - and that's getting too big really unless it's a Donzi 22 classic - I mostly like 18' and under stuff). It may have something to do with the mentioned increasing runabout size over the years and the fact that the old ones that had the styling I prefer are just in that size range.
I saw some enourmous motoryacht thing the other day on the tube built by (or called) "Wallypower" that had all these staggering numbers: It was a great big (like 118' I think) sleek and fast (capable of 70's speed) yacht! It was amazing. It had all kinds of gizmos and innovative stuff but the stuff that always gets me is the engines. It was jet driven (no props) and it had options of, I forget, I think big twin deisels for economy and slower speeds OR if you want to get there quick, these big gas (I think 3) engines that with it's 17,000 horsepower (yes I said 17,000) it would get you from A to B real quick using a litre of fuel per second at a mile a minute. Wow! That's about a gallon every 3.78 seconds! Is that possible? I'm sure that's what they said. Guess you wouldn't run that fast very long. It mentioned the range was about 200 miles - not tremendous I guess for a yacht?
I think that's why I like smaller boats!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 12:51pm
I think the go fast engines were turbines. There is a guy in this area that has an offshore boat with a turbine. It sounds like a plane taking off when it goes by. We were sitting out fishing in San Francisco Bay when he went by at 150 MPH. It was memorable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic