NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas Ski?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas Ski?
    Posted: November-28-2007 at 9:15pm
I just found this site and it looks like it has some great info. I am thinking about a new ski. I currently ski on any 68" HO ASX. It skis good but I have put on a few pounds since I bought it. When I stand up to get a breath of air it sprays me in the face with water. I find my self needing more breaks as I get older.

I am looking at two skis. Both by HO. The Triumph and the Free-ride Series. And I am looking at either the 69" or 71". I am looking for just a nice free ride. I do not ski any courses.

Any suggestion would help. I have been to two stores and both have contradicted each other.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 12:59am
Unless you are over 240lbs a 71 is awful long, of course the longer ski will pop up easier but won't preform as well once on the surface. I have skied the Triumph and was not impressed, thought it was too sloppy and felt like it had no edge. You may want to also look at the Vengeance (new name Nitro I think), it is a very friendly ski but will also preform and handle well when pushed it is pretty easy to get up on as well, not familiar with the ASX so not really sure what level or characteristics that ski has as a comparison.

The best advice I could give though is test them out before you buy.

Good Luck
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 1:28am
I think the Vengeance replaced the ASX. I think at the time their top ski was the CDX and the ASX was the wider version.

I am trying to be realistic. I am now probably a intermediate skier.   
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 2:26am
What I really liked about the Vengeance was it's stability, it rides as well straight as it does on edge, it pops up pretty nicely and also holds it's edge in choppier conditions. Try out all three ski's in 69" - Nitro, Triumph and Freeride and see how each feels, be sure and use the same binding though so it is an apples for apples comparison, I use the Approach w/RTP, great binding just needs spooge to get in.

Regarding the spray in the face, this probably has more to do with your body position then the ski, every spring it takes a few sets of getting that bad spray on my leg before I am standing correctly and it goes away.
Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 3:42pm
You may want to consider a O'Brien Synchro. The ski has good stability and performs well.
John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

this probably has more to do with your body position then the ski, every spring it takes a few sets

It will get worse every year! Correct Jb? I finally gave up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It will get worse every year! Correct Jb? I finally gave up!

NO! Don't give up!! It is all still a ton of fun and worth any extra effort you might have to put in.
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 12:02am
I now ski for 5 minutes in the morning and we surf the rest of the day. I don't want to give up skiing so I am looking for something(ski) easier.
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 12:03am
I did buy a V-drive this year. I sold the direct drive. I hope this not the beginning of the end.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:49am
Right you are Pete. I am back on my old wood Maha just for fun. Got a bunch of slalom skis in the garage attic just gathering dust.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:19am
You guy's are killing me!
Slalom is the best work out you can get on the water, stay on those ski's and it will keep you in shape, round is a shape isn't it?
Could never imagine giving up slalom, it's just too darn much fun!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:35am
I was wondering what your workout secret was!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 9:07am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Slalom is the best work out you can get on the water, stay on those ski's and it will keep you in shape, round is a shape isn't it?

Some of us need to work out more than others!

LLS, When you get the GT40 heads and the Hi-Teks on your boat, you can pull me around the lake once! A smaller lake like Laurel and not Medicine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:08am
you eventually progress to a pontoon and lawn chairs
"the things you own will start to own you"
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:03pm
RLS
I ski on a Connelly Eclipse, got it about 7 years ago. It is a midsize/larger ski. I weigh in at about 215, and this ski treats me well. It cruises well but will also hold a serious edge in the course. The ski is made to run best at 28-32 mph. I'll check on the length, but I think it's a 68".
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:43pm
45 yrs. old,
Aches and pains everywhere (but my earlobes), 233 lbs. (considering build and height should be maybe 190 lbs.),
Still slalom AMAP,
Out of shape,
Still barefoot (I believe 3 or 4 times last summer),
Back hurts often,
Not as strong as I once was,
68" O'Brein I've always had (recieved new in 1976 (as a Christmas present, incidentally); and grew into it -- it was too big back then)
Won't quit til I HAVE too!
None of the negatives (listed above) seem like good enough reasons!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:27pm
I just turned 44 and want to keep skiing and that's why I am looking for an easier ride.

We started wakesuring a few years ago and it is a great time and you do not hurt when you are done. I even have to be careful that I don't stay out more than my share. It did cost my my direct drive. The v-drives are better surf boats.    
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 3:36pm
The surfing actually sounds fun (and easier on the ole' carcass), but it might not be do-able for me (unless I get a new boat -- not likely). The inboard (Dunphy X-55) (if I ever get it back together) only throws a small flat wake, and my big wake boat (the Cobalt(Donzi 16 pop) is, of course a stern drive. I saw a web site on wake surfing that said rule number one is NEVER do the surfing behind anything but an inboard (or V) because of the prop danger factor. Showed a picture of a hand chewed up by a prop. It was nasty! Wish I hadn't seen it right after lunch! Whew!
Inboards Rule!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 8:30pm
RLS, I've got several skis. However, I do have the HO Magnum, which is the oversized width, and 71" in length. Mine is several years old. I believe they now call them Freeride series. I'm also 44 yrs old, several inches taller than you, but also about 240 lbs. The main reason I like this ski is that it is easy on the hands and back, easy to come up out of the water, cuts ok, and I can spend more time on the ski than I can on my more competitive skis because I don't get as tired, or as sore. BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 9:00pm
RLS,

I second the O'Brien Syncro. 47 Years old, 5'11" 195lbs, likes long walks on the beach, cuddling, long nights in front of the fire. Everything hurts but I do it anyway.

Seriously, 69" Syncro at 195 lbs is a great ski for me, I free ski as hard as I can and it has never broken free, I feel it carves pretty well and I've been through the course twice on it and if I knew what I was doing it would handle it fine. Comes out of the water with very little effort.   Also a very affordable ski.

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:20pm
I have been looking for the O'brien but have not found one yet. I will keep looking. The ASX I have is 68 or 69. I put a tape on it this morning and it was 68 1/2. I think I want the 71" ski. When I took the ASX out of the bag it made me really want to ski.   
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 8:32pm
5'8" 175. DING.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 2:45am
49, 5"8",190 went to a 68" Connelly 3 yrs ago. Can't say enough good things about it. free skiing at 32 -34 is smooth as silk with good tight turns when water is right. Used it in open water at 36, 22 off when it was glass with no complaints, Ran the course late this year at 34 and the ski had more left than I did. Gotta agre with others on this post about the rush. Gotta have my fix and after the aches go away the fitness level climbs.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 10:22am
All this talk is making me want to ski! It was in the low 30's here in MD last night, but it has popped up to 45 here at 6:00AM. And I don't think the closest lake is anywhere near freezing yet. Let's see; dewinterize the boat, get some blankets and jackets for a willing driver and observer, get my wet suit...

Hmmm???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Na! That's way too much work!

But when spring comes I'm going 45 year old slalom skiing on my 68" ski!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 2:00pm
Well after reading all these post I think I may try to loose twenty pounds and keep skiing on the ski I have.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 2:16pm
1978 Connelly ShortLine 65" never let me down. don't remember how many bindings or repairs to bindings that I have made. Great workout.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 2:27pm
Anybody ever use a Jobe Honeycomb (way back when)? While usually using my 68" Obrien, my buddy had a 65" Jobe and he did real well on it. I used it occasionally and noticed the increased "responsiveness" (I guess would be the right word) but it always felt a little scary I guess because I was so used to my rather large ski. Also, the old Kidder Redline Graphite was cool (another friend had one of those and I really like it). I know they're really old models.
Inboards Rule!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 8:31pm
Jobe Honeycomb, man does that bring back memories. I still have my 65" EP Comp X-2. My son's ski it once in a while, but I stick with the Connelly Eclipse.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 11:08pm
Roger that Roger,

Some post's seemed to read like you all were giving in to age, shame on you! Although I do wish I could ski like I did at 25yrs old I am not ready to give up on never getting there again and the best way to accomplish that is by getting after it, with age we just need to ski smarter, perhaps with new gear, but most importantly with perseverance, another great tip is ski with some young punk kids, that has worked well for me, love skiing with HW, Johnny, PLBC, M3Fan, Timmy, ETAL, keeps me young, and sometimes sore!!

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 1:08am
I do not see many young kids skiing. I gave up the EP comp1 a long time ago. I had not skied for several years then went out with a guy that had one of those very wide skies. It was so much fun that within a few years I had a Malibu direct drive and skiing was fun. It is not as much fun on the ski I currently have and that is how this got started. I was hoping with a new ski It would become fun again. I just bought a new boat and hope it will be a good ski boat as well as a good surf boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic