NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

f-k it, flip the pump get a left hand prop and have the seal area re-ground on the crank, and set it up for a left hand engine

Now that's spooky! I was just thinking of asking that...didn't want to wear out my welcome though. Hasn't it been said here that it's to counterbalance the driver?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:13pm
it may be proprietary to PCM, and not a GM part number, its becoming more clear why they went with this set up, because if you ever need one you have to go thru your local PCM dealer and pay twice of what it should go for
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:14pm
myth 27, counter balance the driver...f-k the observer dont need one
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:18pm

myth 27, counter balance the driver...f-k the observer dont need one

I can tell you for certain that Ive skied more times without an observer than I have skied without a driver.

Its a wash when you have an observer, but a boat with a LH prop leans pretty good when you drive it alone. It makes for an uneven wake for the skier. My '90 runs dead level at 25+ with me alone... just sayin'.

My vote is for a chain drive and a RH cam. You get to keep the reverse rotation and dont have to buy a new prop!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:19pm
myth 24, in reverse the boat pulls towards the dock to unload, that was one of the better ones Ive heard
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:20pm

its becoming more clear why they went with this set up, because if you ever need one you have to go thru your local PCM dealer and pay twice of what it should go for

I was wondering why they went LH for the hotter motor(425hp). I don't dare say what I'm thinking about that, but plenty of manufacturers do what they can to predict revenue.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:22pm
this was a big dollar decision at the round table as to why they should spin to the right, out of all the knowledge that spews on this forum someone has to know the true reason
Pete?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:23pm
Greg I do, wait 5 years on that trans lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:25pm
Im with TR, but do they offer a roller in a right hand cam?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I can tell you for certain that Ive skied more times without an observer than I have skied without a driver.

We have only 2 as often as we have a boat full. TR, I haven't driven a LH ski boat...it's that bad of a lean? I ask people to help me balance the boat as it is! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:28pm

this was a big dollar decision at the round table as to why they should spin to the right, out of all the knowledge that spews on this forum someone has to know the true reason
Pete?

Like I alluded to above, Im convinced its to offset the weight of the driver. In many states (including Florida, the waterski capital of the world) its legal to ski without a spotter.

Im betting the reason for the LH rotation on the HO (425hp) 454 was due to camshaft selection. It allowed them to use an off-the-shelf (read: cheaper) roller cam.

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

We have only 2 as often as we have a boat full. TR, I haven't driven a LH ski boat...it's that bad of a lean? I ask people to help me balance the boat as it is! LOL

Its not terrible, but its noticeable. I defintely prefer RH rotation, but of course Im biased.

Im assuming that RH BBC flat tappet cam blanks are readily available. I highly doubt there are RH roller blanks, though. Probably the same issue as the RR Fords... but for $700+ theyll build you the blank.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:29pm

Greg I do, wait 5 years on that trans lol

I'll admit I'm thick at times...whatcha' mean?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:33pm

I assume that RH BBC cam blanks are readily available?

I haven't heard of any yet...still waiting on 2 calls.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:34pm

I assume that RH BBC cam blanks are readily available?

I haven't heard of any yet...still waiting on 2 calls.

I find it hard to believe that any part could be harder to find for a BBC than a SBF... but anythings possible.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 7:01pm
We want a shrubbery?!!?   LOL

I talked to crane again. I guess I had a brain cramp(didn't explain properly) but he knew exactly what I needed without thinking about it after we understood each other[TR's format(read:knew his stuff!).

As simple as it sounds, the RR cam is a mirror image of the LH cam even though it's turning the standard way. They are not interchangeable. The RH(counter rotation)part # is 13HR00034 with all of the same specs as the 139001...same price as well. It's an expensive upgrade that he gave me several reasons to make; one was the oil/zinc content and 'wiped out cams'.

I normally try to get blood out of a penny, but I'm going to do this. If we don't get our lake back next year, I'll have plenty of time to pay for it?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 7:25pm
Buffalo
So he said to use part # 13HR00034 for your motor and firing order? Will this cam support a roller lifter set up? What did he say the price was and through who?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 7:57pm

Pete?

I've yet to hear a believable reason. Someone said the early engines/boats were flywheel forward so all the props were made RH. When they swithced the engines around, they had to switch the rotation because there were no LH props.

Having spent the 1st half of my life with RH, and the 2nd half with LH, I can tell you I like LH better. LH pulls to the dock on the drivers side which is better IMO. LH without a passenger leans at slower speeds, but the faster you go, the more it levels out. At slalom speeds it's level. Either way it's a pretty minor difference, except for those repowering getting the wallets hurt more with RH.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:01pm
James it sounds like a flat tappet, Greg did you investigate the possibility of the timing set and a right hand roller as TR suggested? if your going back to what you had you can buy the cam that goes in it for $220.00 thru JA Chamberlin,
all the concern is getting you a roller, that hands down is the only way to go when doing what your doing, keep plugging away at these Cam companies, crane isnt the only cam manufacturer out there.
call Comp, call Lunati, most of the times the call is free.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:08pm

As simple as it sounds, the RR cam is a mirror image of the LH cam even though it's turning the standard way. They are not interchangeable. The RH(counter rotation)part # is 13HR00034 with all of the same specs as the 139001...same price as well.

Now that makes perfect sense!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:11pm
Nutty, did you see the earlier post on the cam i have? i have a double roller timing set also, it is from a Merc and they dont use cheap sh-t, I cold get a part number if you are interested and then pull the spec on it,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:11pm
That is why I have not torn into my 454 yet. All the pieces to the puzzle have not been located yet.

Eric would it be possible to put a 1.23 tranny behind the 454 just like the python set up? I know the shaft would have to be swapped out, but will the hole in the hull for the shaft fit the larger 1 and 1/8 shaft?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Eric would it be possible to put a 1.23 tranny behind the 454 just like the python set up? I know the shaft would have to be swapped out, but will the hole in the hull for the shaft fit the larger 1 and 1/8 shaft?

Motor mounts may change a bit since the reduction tranny incorporates the down angle. The 1.23 uses a 1" shaft.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:18pm

Nutty, did you see the earlier post on the cam i have? i have a double roller timing set also, it is from a Merc and they dont use cheap sh-t, I cold get a part number if you are interested and then pull the spec on it,

I did Eric, however I have already purchased my cam from Summit. Wish I new of yours a bit sooner. Also I did contemplate the idea of changing course and going stroker like you suggested. I think instead I'm going to have a little taken off the surface of the heads to bump up the compreesion to about 9.2 - 9.3. That's what my stock motor is (according to my manual). Thanks for the offer though. Brian

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:30pm
Jim, it would fit, there is about 2inches of shims on the front mounts which could be removed for the down angle trans. you would also have to get a 4' prop coupling or easier to do would be an adapter, As for the shaft...i would fly with the 1 inch and down the road if you need to go to the 1 1/8.
what are you trying to achieve with this change?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:33pm
Just tryin to save you some money nutty, you could of bought that stroker kit with the money you would've saved,
it seems to be a billet cam and again has 11 total hours on it with the roller lifters and keepers. did you get a timing set yet? It is an EFI cam and without taking it out of the wrapping i believe it will not have the pump ecentric on it, i completely forgot about that
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 9:27pm
Eric
I was wondering about the 1.23 trans because it changes the rotation opposite of what the motor spins. Put in the 1.23 and you can run a normal motor rotation and keep the RH prop. I did not know the 1.23 ran a 1 inch shaft. I thought they went to 1 and 1/8 when they went to the 1.23 trans. Sorry about that if I confused anyone. Now the real question what would a 1.23 run price wise? With this set up you could build a street 454 with all the required marine parts. Right or wrong on that?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 9:33pm
I do have the timing set as well. It's a Cloyes. Don't know if you remembered but my engine is carbureted. Will need the fuel pump lobe. Thanks for thinking about me. I do like saving money.

Eric, is PCM the only marinizer company that manufactured RH rotation engines on a production scale? I'm talking other than Chris Craft of course.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Buffalo
So he said to use part # 13HR00034 for your motor and firing order? Will this cam support a roller lifter set up? What did he say the price was and through who?

This is a roller kit. Part #13HR00034 but it's a special order. To see the specs, search #139001 on Crane cams. The 139001 is the automotive version but the specs are exactly the same. $1200-$1300 for the kit and $200-$300 for rockers. I didn't ask for a source.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:34pm

Greg did you investigate the possibility of the timing set and a right hand roller as TR suggested?

No I didn't ask about a RH cam, but I did get it on good authority that all of the PCM right hand 454's(the 330's) have the gear to gear set up that I have so I'm thinking that the crane(13HR00034) is the way to go.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:43pm
I checked it out but it did not say anything about the roller set up. Did he give you addition part numbers for the roller lifters with tie bar set up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic