NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AT&T project Lightspeed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT&T project Lightspeed
    Posted: November-20-2007 at 7:20pm
I know we have several phone employee members here so I thought I would bring this up. There is a rather large article in todays Chicago Tribune about project Lightspeed. Evidently the equipment enclosures are on the LARGE side and it has quite a lot of people upset. It's one of those "not in my front yard" problems. Several villages are stating that there is nothing that can be done because it is within AT&T's contract that they can put the equipment anywhere they want!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2007 at 10:02pm
Pete,thanks for the heads up,I haven't seen it yet.Not knowing what the article says it's hard to comment.What I do know is there is only one per neighborhood,usually very close to the main cross connect box(called a SAC, can't for the life of me remember what that stands for,and was working in 4 of them today) and they are about the same size,3' wide 5' high, depending on the density of the area.The villages are correct,the state passed a bill that the Illinois Commerce Commission has control,before that bill,the company would have had to get agreements with every village and pay each of them a fee.My cable bill just went up again and I'm losing another channel,that makes 4 this year,so it will be good to give them a run for the money.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2007 at 10:28pm
Gary, I found the article in the Trib on line. Here's the link:

bulky boxes

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2007 at 12:21am
Or if you get a paper it is in the Metro section. I am also excited to see a little competition however would not be too happy if one of those things ended up in my yard.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2007 at 1:44am
I agree with you Chris, but you know how money talks,. bs walks.In the last 6 yrs the wires in front of my house have doubled,so as I look out over the Fox,I see electric,cable,phone and now fiber for the lightspeed cabinet a mile down the road.The road behind me about 1/2 mile away,mostly farm land everything is buried.Yet if I complained you think I'd make the Trib? Barrington Hills is the same way,they complain about bad cell coverage,but want no towers and complain about no DSL but don't want the boxes.By the way these boxes are called V Rad's and the last house on the line can be no farther than 3000 ft. A couple in Texas have had the batteries explode and catch on fire, another reason not to have one in your yard.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2007 at 7:19pm
Gary; Had to "LOL" as to your SAC comment. We also called them "BD boxes" and I don't know why ...on either of them.

My partner was a computer wiz and he and I ended up doing a fair amount of the mait in RT's and CEV's. I guess it sounds now like everyone is gonna get one of these in their yard or maybe their neighbor's. Sounds like lotsa work coming up to me. It'll be "nice clean electrical work" as we jokingly (sp?) used to say. Better than sitting in a pit or a manhole.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2007 at 8:11pm
Hey,
Don't be knockin manholes!
I think all cabling should be under ground. It is more astetically pleasing and it is more business for our company.
I like to say, any day on top of the grass is a good day, but if your under the grass, I hope your in one of our manholes.
(Am I setting myself up, or what?)

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 12:12am
Hey Steve; You know I am not knocking manholes...made lotsa money underground...but I am sure not in yours...only leaky ones.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:33am
John alot of those jobs are already been taken by people who had been let go and the union got back,guy's like the Ameritech pbx, Meridan? system installer and repairmen.They are not going to take us guy's we know too much.My thoughts are when the calls come in at 6pm that my tv dosen't work,the company will want someone who can go out and get it up and running with the least fuss,guy's that have been there done that.You can put the old coin dept guy's out checking batteries.These v rads bypass any cev's & rt's,that fiber comes right out of the office and direct to the v rad.The phone service comes into the sac just like it always did,either copper,DPG or PG then the x connect is made to the v rad block,then goes out to it then the video is "injected" and then returnes to the sac and is x conned to the f2 to go to the house.These new hires I told you about last week,will install the systems in the house and trouble shoot the vrads and the house.When they prove the trouble outside,thats where we come in.Some sac's have to be upgraded,many of those newer 1/4 turn self stripers don't have the proper amount of twists in the blocks and have to be changed and oddley enough those old 3M punch down boxes are being left in place,they are ok.I guess you guy's did a good job of putting them in.A big money maker will be when a locator removes a bond,the signal will be lost for as long as that bond is off.
Now that we have bored everyone here,how did the Homestead trip go? Oh and by the way it's starting to snow out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 4:53am
Well going in reverse order....I am sorry it is snowing out. 82 here today..shorts and T's at work as usual. Turkey tomorrow and footin' with Eddie on friday and probably saturday.

Homestead was...well...different. I am glad I went, glad I took my friend from Church who otherwise would not have been able to go due to age and health...but I don't ever have to go again. Way to many people for this guy. And I have NEVER seen a grandstand so huge! Cars were loud and fast. Kinda just watched 'em go around in a circle. Did I say how many people were there? Lots!

I never liked the 1/4 turn boxes...thought the punch downs were lots better. That cable you maintain is gonna have to be pretty clean to carry this signal I would suppose And no bonds=no service?! Boy are they in trouble in Ohio...plenty of guys had no idea why the bond was there...just thought it was a piece of wire in the way. So it goes from the UG pair to the v-rad block out and back from the v-rad and then c/c again to the air to the house. Is there a footage limit on how far you can push the signal? Of course if you are only pushing from the box to the house you have cut way down on the distance. Man it all sounds interesting....wish I could ride around with ya for a few days...in the summer of course!

Have a great Holiday. Plenty of guys working those 2 days to get the premium pay I bet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:50pm
Hollywood, now you really know how Jbear feels
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 12:28am
What? Did I miss HW asking about something?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 9:07am
John, It's was HW's comment about you not understanding some of the engine tech talk. Now it's Erik turn not understanding phone tech talk!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:52am
I always thought they color coded those little wires like kids crayons, that way j-bear really couldnt screw up
Pete, you got it
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 11:46am
Eric- I know your kidding John but you'd be surprised how tough a job it is-You see most splicers are color blind Hardest part of the job is the weather and setup is all important.Luckily your not doing cable cuts every day,usually only Friday afternoons on major holidays!
John- There is talk of a 3000ft max from sac and rumors as low as 1500 ft,won't know for sure until we fire them up.You'd think with the other states using them already someone would know,but were are only a communications company,we don't talk to each other . We're supposed to get a new meter to check bonds,it clamps around the cable like a locator ring.Should have paid more attention to who the instructor was,he was an ex splicer from Ohio.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 12:42pm
will it all be wireless someday? or will there be a government restriction for hard wire?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 1:40pm
Not sure,copper is already in and working,so it relatively cheap and I don't know about bandwith on wireless.I think we'll see a big push for fiber to the house next since when this project is done,it will be with in 3000 ft of the farthest house.This is the track Verizon is now on.Some of our new subdivisions now are going this way.At one time there was a concern about the phone line not working when the power was out,ie if you have fiber to the house you have to have a converter which is end user powered and if electric is out no phone no 911 calls.But now everyone has cell phones and that is why the phone companies want to get away from just phone service and sell video and data.Any coincidence that the largest phone compaines have the largest cell systems?Used to be you had 1 maybe 2 lines to your house.Now you think your getting back at the phone co by getting rid of your land line,but then you have a cell,your wife has one,both kids and your elderly parents do too.They have developed the prefect way to seperate you from your cash!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:27pm
When we were building our shop i hooked a big black cable with the backhoe bucket and luckily i didnt yank on it because later on i was told it was a fiber optic cable, it was not marked and close to the surface, I guess if there is a cable you dont want to cut in half its this one
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:36am
Thanks Pete...musta missed HW's comment on my lack of knowledge as to what exactly goes on under the motor box.
eric; You hit it.....was really an easy job in one aspect...everything we did was in counts of five...five colors repeating themselves. If you dug up a "big black cable" with your backhoe...and someone told ya it was a fiber...he was trying to scare ya. Fiber is always enclosed on an orange plastic conduit and the stuff I've seen is orange or silver. Keep on diging without calling OUPS...your local cable mait guys will love ya.
Gary: I remember when they were selling DSl and told the customers it would run 18k from the CO! More like 12k on a good day depending on the weather and how many gauge changes your UG had. And don't forget all that bridge tap that wasn't on the print and you had to go looking for. So if they are now saying 3k...well I'll believe it when you see it. Fiber to the curb here in Florida in lots of the new developments but I have not had the chance to talk to any of the guys here that work on it. Interesting to see where your cuts and dig-ups are on Friday afternoon or holidays...just like ours were.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 11:27am
Erik, Do call the locating service the next time you are digging. The service is free and if you hit something that wasn't marked it's their fault. If you don't call and end up damaging something you do not want to even think about the costs you will be responsible for. Even potential law suits from losses of service. We had a drill rig at the plant taking soil borings. The first hole he drilled in a 2 acre parking lot and he ran dead nuts in the middle of a phone cable. I can't remember how many pair it was but it knocked out a 10 sq. block area that included a couple 10 story apartments. The drilling firm did not call the locating service and the costs were unbelievable! Remember, guys like JB don't work cheap! We were covered because I had put down in writing on the PO that it was their responsibility to call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 1:11pm
I did call oops and this black cable wasnt marked, but before i called oops on the opposite side of the property i dug up the old gas line, at the time i thought it was live and it scared the s--t out of me, thats what lead me to call oops after that
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 10:31pm
We sure don't want you blowing yourself up eric.

Hey Pete; the guys made some Christmas money on that one. Tone and back-tag a 10 square block area...wow!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:35am
It always amazes me that if your looking for that wire,gas pipe or cable you can't find it,I guess that's Murphy's Law.
John, how many job's you been on that the homeowner thought the orange lines were for them to use as a guide to line up their fence-
Sometime when were all together,I'll tell the story of the woman who was up in her office's attic telling me how to do my job and the way she got back down in a hurry.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:53am
countless...or how many times did they just happen to hit the drop planting that tree or setting those deck posts? Maybe we should've hired them kinda people to do our locates. I just gotta laugh, in the 80's I used to be the locate guy for our area and I'd struggle to find stuff that any homeowner with a shovel of a post hole digger could find.

I would love to hear that story. In the early 70's when I was an installer I took a few short cuts outa attics. You think many guys go in attics anymore to fish walls?!

Stories??!! Bet we could fill a whole weekend laughin' at each other. Can't wait!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:05am
Never in the 18yrs I installed did I damage a ceiling,but it took a long time to live it down when I put my foot through my own.I'm not sure but I don't think the guy's go in anymore,no time, they get 6,7 jobs a day,strive for 5 you know.I got out of installation because my back couldn't take it any more in attics.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:22am
Yeah you musta been a better installer than me...I wrecked a few. Back and knees did take a toll crawlin' around all the time.

Good jobs in eight is all I hear from my guys back at the garage.

Never enough time to do it right the first time...always enough time to go back twice or three times. Hard for me to figure that one out. Must be to dumb.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 11:11am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

You think many guys go in attics anymore to fish walls?!

john

All the new guys started as TV cable installers! "How come that long drill bit has that hole in the end of it??"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:56pm
Pete that hole is to pull the wire back thru where you drilled.You strip the wire back to the conductors,feed them thru the hole and then wrap the conductors so they lay into the flukes of the bit.Then you pull the bit back out,the wire catches,breaks off,and you start all over!Then your "supervisor" tells you,hurry up your numbers are down,the only experence they have is thru a training video.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 4:52pm
Gary, I was being facetious with the hole in the end of bit. My favorite if you have access to both the top and bottom via the attic and basement is dropping the beaded chain into the wall cavity. I learned that trick from a old alarm installer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 7:40pm
Gary and Jbear you guys would have a field day with the way some of the installer work here in michigan. NO two houses have the phone lines or the cable installed the same way, yet they are all the same houses. I find it very funny. The guy that did my house put my cable through some conduit that I installed to keep my shepard from chewing on the thermostat wires to my ac unit. The guy that did my brother's house just drilled a hole right through the siding and and pushed the cable into house and connected it and left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic