NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Bushing Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Bushing Removal
    Posted: October-11-2004 at 4:41pm
What is the best way to remove the shaft bushing from the strut in my 1978 CC.

I have tried beating it out with a socket that closely matches the OD of the strut bushing, but it has not moved and yes I removed the two set screws in the strut. I am reluctant to remove the entire strut and press it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2004 at 4:50pm
Skidim makes a well-made puller

this may cause somebody some discomfort, but myself, i used a hack-saw blade to cut 80% of the way through it, then used a punch/chisel to finish the tear in the bushing, then it pops out.

Removing the strut isn't that scary, either.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2004 at 9:52pm
There have been various posts about strut bushing replacement on here. GottaSki has the answer, use a hacksaw blade,cut almost all the way through, and finish with a punch and hammer. It always works for me.
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 12:55am
I posted this question earlier and was told the hacksaw method. This was the only way mine would come out!(even with a puller)
Good advice... do not remove the strut
Trevor 1968 Mustang
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 10:51am
Thanks for the info. I will try the hack-saw method.

I also ordered the replacement bushing from Discount Inboard Marine and was sent two 2" long bushings instead of one 6" bushing. Is this just as effective as the original 6" long bushing.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 1:34pm
skilew, yes, the two inch bushings are probably more effective, and easier to replace. place one flush with the front of the strut and one flush with the back.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic