Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator or battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator or battery
    Posted: October-08-2004 at 11:12pm
I have 92 SNOB. Bought it actually from off here! great boat. no problems... except one.. Apparetly the battery was replaced last year. The last 25 hours have been perfect, but all of sudden, I took her ran for awhile, then it stalled and completely dead. The voltage didnt have enough to turn over the engine. So I thought it was stereo that cut it out. But is it true when the engine is running, the alternator is charging the battery and running the electrical for the boat, which would include the stereo.

Jump started from another nautique near by we had, ran the boat for an hour pulling boarders...... I assume enought to charge the possible dead battery. Tunred the boat off, dead. I figured this Exide battery was junk.

So I have purchased a new battery, but I have not been out yet.

My question (finally) Would the alternator be going or not charging the battery any more, no matter what battery is int he boat?   I do have two small amps for the stereo and run Sirius Sat off the cigerrette lighter...   so the alternator is pushing out some amps, but is it too much and the I need a larger alternator?

Fun stuff for my fall project right?>

thanks everyone
tc
captan1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 2:21am
Couple of questions, Amp gauge or volt meter and what do they report when you're running? I had a problem after re-installing my motor, no go and it turned out to be the battery ground connection to the motor, looked good and was tight but corrosion weather or not you see it is every where. Amp gauges route the battery charge wire all the way to the dash ( with a wire much smaller than the battery cable )then through the gauge (possible problem)and then to the battery where as a volt meter just attaches to any hot wire under the dash leaving the charge to the battery coming off the starter solenoid with a big fat wire, I converted from a amp gauge to a volt meter in my 78 Nautique. I think if a volt meter says 13+ volts than the battery is getting enough juice to charge. Wire connections will get you and should all be checked/removed and cleaned with a wire brush and coating with a corrosion preventative paste. I also converted from a alternator external regulator to a internal regulated alternator when it bit the dust. Bottom line is anytime you have a electrical problem,, check the connections first.
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 12:05pm
From the sound of your description I would be suspect of the alternator. This alternator is probably just as easy if not easier to check than chasing down a bunch of wires and getting out your voltmeter. Three bolts hold the alternator and your local auto zone or advance auto will test it free of charge. Generally though when an engine stalls and has a dead battery, you have a bad alternator.
1979 Ski Nautique
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 12:14pm
what footer said.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 5:20pm
I alternator reads normal when I was running. It seemed to be cranking out amps like it should. I will probably end up having it tested anyways. If it is bad. is it wise to get a bigger one?
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 5:52pm
Why not, amps do tend to draw a bit more just charging a battery. However, having an old nautique, I cannot speak to your choices- ie are there several different alternators that you can fit to your configuration. But I certainly would take a step up. I may do the same nmyself as My buddy installed a pretty large system on my boat (you can hear the damn thing when your skiing) and it will cut out at a high volume if the boat is idling. To answer your other question, yes the alternator will charge the battery as long as the boat is running so I doubt your radio would totally drain your battery.
Good Luck
1979 Ski Nautique
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 10:19pm
If you're lucky a quick alt. swap is much faster than chasing down a bad connection, but all in all cleaning your connections is necessary from time to time and from my experience is the cause of a lot of mystery problems. Good luck. At least the season is comming to an end and you have some time to figure things out.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2004 at 2:24am
I'm guessing a bad cell or weak cell in the battery. If the alternator was not charging the boat would stall while runnig especially when running a radio etc. The battery would charge and everything would look ok but with a bad cell there wouldnt be enough amps to start the boat. Having said that the alternator is the easiest item to remove/test. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before removing it.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2004 at 3:48am
the parts house can test that battery too. while there checking the alt. it may also be a coroded or loose connection. after my motor rebuild i had a simalar problem and i forgot to tighten the post on the solonoid, ran great all day got it home to flush and dead. thought it was the main breaker goin out. cause there was some sweet fire works under the little cover, if it hadnt have been dark i may have never figured it out. good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic