Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about a 2nd battery in truck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about a 2nd battery in truck
    Posted: November-07-2007 at 5:30pm
I have a 1995 Chevy K2500 truck with a 454 engine that I bought used a while back. It has 2 batteris in it and I do not know what the porpose of the second battery is for?

This second battery is currently unwired so I am not using it now. It had a small wire hooked to the positive terminal, looks like a 10ga. wire maybe green in color. It runs into a wiring harness so I can't tell exactly where it goes. It might go to a solenoid that is mounted up by the fender well on the drivers side but can't say for sure. This battery is also mounted on the driver side.

Anybody have any ideas?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 5:37pm
I used to run dual batteries in my snowplow truck... gives you more reserve power ... Also used in situations with campers,etc, where you can draw power from one battery and still have a "good' battery to start the truck.
btw, there should be an "isolater" wired in between the two , to keep them seperate when drawing power from one.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 5:46pm
Or it had a diesel motor in it at one time Steve.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 5:51pm
I looked and there is only a #10ga. wire to hook up to the battery? No way that is heavy enough to start the motor.

79, I had the same thoughts but the vin# references the 454 as the original motor.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 8:00pm
Wood's right.
I had a '99 K2500 Chevy and ordered it with a plow prep package. It added the extra battery, trans and oil coolers. My guess is that you have the same set up. My new Avalanche has a spot for the 2nd battery, but it's empty.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 10:34pm
I am familiar with a dual battery setup in boats. My 78 Cuddy is set up with a starting battery and I have a large group 27 deep cycle battery to run all the rest of the electronics etc. However, I have a switch to select 1 , 2 or both. I can't find anything that would resemble at switch or selector on this truck. And I have looked and can't find where a larger wires were used or connect to the second battery to be able to use this battery for back-up starting.

Could very well be a set up for a snow plow as I have the extra trans. and oil cooler with an electric fan. I just don't understand how it was used.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 11:47pm
Matt,
I doubt that you will find any selector switches on the truck...mine never had any. The two batteries just gave you more reserve.

Electric snowplow pumps pull as much or more power (amps)than the starter motor... they're operated for hours on end and almost always are operated at low engine rpm ( you raise the plow after pushing it into a pile,at idle)
...which is also at the alternators weakest output.

The isolater seperates the two batteries from each other (otherwise the "better" battery will be drawn down to the weaker batteries power). In the "old" days we could run a dual set-up with just one battery..no problem, but with todays computer controlled outfits, you'd have to talk to someone wiser than me on that subject.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 7:49am
Matt, The dual bat setup has heavy cables that connect the batteries in parallel and it may be that these have been removed. I have the 95 with the diesel and that is the standard. No isolation and no selector switch.

The parallel wiring of 2 12 volts is not the ideal for battery charging. If one battery has a different resistence then they won't charge equally. A dual 6 volt in series is preferred but then the GM factory has to buy and stock 6 volts as well as the 12 volt bats! (not good from a "bean counter's" view) When I replace the batteries, I do both at the same time and make sure both have the same manufacturing day date code on them so they are matched as close as possible.

If you don't need a second battery, I would just leave it disconnected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:28am
Pete, I don't need the second battery and I was not planning on using it. I was just trying to get an idea of it's purpose.

I would not even posted this if I saw signs that there were heavier battery cables installed on this truck, and there might have been, but it sure looks like the lighter weight wiring was original and not added.

I hate beating this dead horse but this just doesn't add up. In my first post I said that this lighter weight Approx #10ga. wire is connected to the positve terminal of the second battery, this wire then connects to a solenoid on the fender well. What controls this solenoid? I can't trace the control wire or the power lead as it enters a wiring harness. Anybody have a wiring diagram?

Granted you all may be right and thanks for the comments. The snow plow setup seem the most logical for this truck.

I probably should just keep the hood closed and drive the truck, it runs great and makes an excellent tow vehicle for the 6500# cuddy, the only thing it won't do is pass a gas station
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The parallel wiring of 2 12 volts is not the ideal for battery charging. If one battery has a different resistence then they won't charge equally. A dual 6 volt in series is preferred but then the GM factory has to buy and stock 6 volts as well as the 12 volt bats!

Slightly off topic but, I agree with Pete, in regards to RV's I have 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series for my 12 v system. They are deep cycle ofcourse and are for prolonged use and charged correctly they can last me 2 days of use without having to start the genset. They outperform any 12v batteries wired parralel for this application. Sorry, I'm no help with the actual topic.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 2:02am
Im going with an old plow truck too. I push snow with a single battery dodge 2500 and back when we had the cummins ram with the dual batteries the plow was way faster. Id like to add a second to this truck but Havent got around to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic