NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Boats in the Barn"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Boats in the Barn"
    Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:15am
Thought I'd post pics and short story of an old inboard I found, altho its a "brand X".. still pretty cool old boat..

A couple years ago during one of our evening cruises in the old 64'skier, I noticed a boat under a tatterd cover,in one of the boathouses along the river. I immediately noticed the prop and rudder, but couldnt tell what the make was.

A couple days later I was in the area driving by and thought Id stop ,just to check it out. Turns out to be a 1968 Century Resorter that the owner had bought new! It was the first year they made fiberglass. Its pretty cool, in the fact it has about an 8" band of mahogany around the perimeter of the deck.

He told me it hadnt been run since 02. I asked if it was for sale..he replied no. I actually would see the owner periodically at a resturaunt...and each time would ask if he was ready to get rid of "that old boat". "No" was always his answer.

Earlier this summer, when I saw him for the first time this year...I asked the usual question.. this time he said he had been thinking of it. Well, today a good friend of mine took possession of the boat.... here are a couple pics..

First time cover was of in 5 years..btw ..482 hours on the clock!

Getting ready to get her wet!

Got a smile on our face.. towing it with flat bottom to boat launch!

It needs a little TLC, but should look as good as new by next summer. Love that mahogany band!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:26am
Looks like a sweet find! Let's see some pics of her all done!
Greg

86 BFN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:31am
That's really a cool old boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:32am
Steve,

You are an incredible barn finder; all we have in barns around here is hay or meth.

That is a beautiful boat, and I sure it comes complete with some great stories.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:40am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

That is a beautiful boat, and I sure it comes complete with some great stories.

Chuck

Chuck , The owner (driving the flatbottom) is 74. He has been around the river a LONG time! He was about in tears when we lowered it in the water. He showed us pics of a crackerbox he built in the late 50's Loves to talk! and we loved to listen and look at the old pics!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:49am
Steve,

Here's a pic of a boat my dad build in the late 50's.

Chuck

That's a 35 horse Evinrude on the back.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:59am
Cool story Steve.

One of the Best things here...cool stories!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:03am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

You are an incredible barn finder; all we have in barns around here is hay or meth.

At least you have barns,you still have a chance.The ones that were around here are long gone.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:04am
Which one of these great 50 states are you in Gary?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:08am
Steve Ive always seen that boat too . I told Wendy a couple of months ago that I would like to know what it was . I even mapped out where it was by road . But I always seemed to forget when I was down that way . Well Im glad to see that someone will have it running again . I just wish it would have been me . Next to go will be his house . Hes probably cleaning shop .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 3:04am
Steve,

Wow that's looks like a great find, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the registration current, either that or it has sat since the last time we had red ones.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 7:10am
Steve, Great find! Keep us informed. Let me guess - 327 AMC Gray Marine? Dual side draft YH's in the valley? If it is the Gray, it may be the last year before they went under. You may already know but there is a web site for Century.

Century boat

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:44am
Great find! I had a friend that had one of those back in the 70's. I don't remember what the engine was, but it had the shifter on the column and a push/pull throttle on the dash. Those boats are built really well.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve, Great find! Keep us informed. Let me guess - 327 AMC Gray Marine? Dual side draft YH's in the valley? If it is the Gray, it may be the last year before they went under. You may already know but there is a web site for Century.

Century boat

Pete, 1968?, I'm betting a beer at the Goose Blind that it's a 318-4V Chrysler or a 352 Interceptor. That web site is great by the way, thanks.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:31am
Here are a few answers to your questions..

Chuck, I think Gary also lives in IL.. btw, what ever happened to your dads boat?

Quinner, The reistration stickers are dated 2002... go back and look at the pic with it hanging outside and notice all the cobwebs on the hull..

Pete,
It has an Interceptor 352...(Reid... meet you at the Gooseblind Sat night to collect? ) engine looks like new. it was forgged down when last stored.

Bruce, This does have the shifter on the column, with a toe/heel floor mounted gas pedal... btw, havent had a chance to get the windwing templates made yet...

Pat, we might want to compare notes... just to make sure theres not another one still in the weeds!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:36am
Steve,
Very cool boat indeed..I came close to buying an old, orange 74' before the Tique.. great find..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete,
It has an Interceptor 352...(Reid... meet you at the Gooseblind Sat night to collect? ) engine looks like new. it was forgged down when last stored.

New Glarus Spotted Cow draft for me please.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Pete,

New Glarus Spotted Cow draft for me please.

You do have fine tastes in beers!! I'll see you there!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 12:10pm
I always gaze out into the open fields and try to get a look into an open barn door...hopefully to find a hemi cuda.. or even some old boat laying around that the owner knows nothing about and he tells you just get it out of here, my friend found a old 68 gtx convertible last year, he paid peanuts for it and sold it untouched to bail bondsman in Fla for 25k, and got a extra thousand to deliver. he could roll around in s--t and come out smelling like a rose all the time.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:04pm
Steve, No hurry on the templates. I've got a ways to go before I get to the details.

Having been a part owner in an 80 Resorter for years, I'm always seeking fiberglass ones out for kicks, and very seldom do I see one in good condition. That boat looks decent. I bet there's no rot to deal with. Just a lot of cleaning and maybe new interior. They are a really nice classic boat, although they definately do not have the sporty feel of an older CC. They are more like a Caddy.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:14pm
Eric
The fellow next door has a 60's or 70's charger I beleive ( it has a slopping back) which has been sitting in the storage lot where I keep my charter bus for years. He has not been paying the storage bill. I believe it has a small hemi. It was his first car and he was going to fix it up. He will never do it. I bet it could be bought.

Steve
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That boat looks decent. I bet there's no rot to deal with. Just a lot of cleaning and maybe new interior. They are a really nice classic boat, although they definately do not have the sporty feel of an older CC. They are more like a Caddy.

Bruce,
you hit the nail on the head... It does have a little rot on the mahogany top planking . Dave,the new owner ) is thinking off replacing the whole upper deck,including the vinyl , with mahogany. Other than that, everything is VERY solid!

The interior should clean up very nice..it does have a few small wear areas,and a couple of small rips, but nothing too major...

I said the same thing with the Caddy/ sports car reference!

btw, Pam even said I should have bought the boat!....she wouldnt comment tho when I told her I couldnt get rid of either of the existing Correct Crafts.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:53pm
I still like this one, don't know if its still there but it looked like a nice cruiser to me, well after a little engine work to get it closer to one hp to cu in that is...
1977 arabian v drive
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:54pm

Dave,the new owner ) is thinking off replacing the whole upper deck,including the vinyl , with mahogany.

Steve, Do I need to talk to Dave??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:01pm
Pete,
I dont think it will do any good...his wife likes wood boats and isnt thrilled he just sold his 49 Century...soooo, he is doing that to get the "best of both worlds".

btw, he is keeping all the vinyl in case he wants to go back original..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:42pm
Pete,
talk to him. That boat won't look right with an all wood deck, and it appears to be so original, it is really too bad to change it. It will definately hurt the value of the boat.

The Arabians are nice boats, although I never cared for their look. When my 2 brothers and I bought our Century, one of them wanted the Arabian. Fortunately, two of us didn't.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 8:59pm
Chuck,I'm in Illinois in Mchenry county about 2 miles of where cook,lake,mchenry,and kane county meet,not many farms left here now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:31pm

Steve,correct me if I'm wrong but there was no "small" hemi from that time period.They were 426 hemis.In the fiftys there were a couple of small ones but not in the late sixtys and early seventys. If that car is an original 426 hemi it is worth mega dollars.Someone should check into that NOW.

Farmer

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:37pm
Wood, that would be so wrong if your buddy put Mahogany on that boat. Wasn't it you who brought the boat to his attention? Put your foot down. Buy it from him. Save that boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:18pm
Steve, I've spent lots of time around wood boats, shows and the ACBS. I would really hate to see Dave go to something non original with a classic like that. A 68 fiberglass can be showed and judged at any of the ACBS chapters but wouldn't get very far with points with a different deck on it. I've worked plenty of shows and have heard plenty of comments like "did you see what he did to that boat?". Is Dave's wife calling the shots on this? You mentioned that they just sold the 49 Century but besides that, what is there background with wood boats? Does he really know what he is thinking of doing and just doesn't care? I really hope I'm not coming across just sounding like a purist, I'm just concerned about a beautiful classic boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic