NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Boats in the Barn"

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:15pm
Steve, Dave looks like he is making progress! keep the pictures coming.

Brian, I feel you have the basic idea. The rot in the wood is from it not drying out. If stringers are wrapped in glass it will get wet and rot. A bottom that has been fiberglassed is sealed on the bottom and with the bilge being wet most of the time it will rot wood. A deck like your Tolly (NICE!!) you won't have a problem with because the bottom side isn't glassed. Riva's do have some problems lower on the hull sides/chines where it stays wet. The bottom line is moisture stuck in the wood.

The biggest disaster happens to be the first fiberglass inboard. The 57 Chris Craft Silver Arrow was simply a wood boat that they glassed! Because there were so few made and with the major rot problem, there aren't may around anymore. The people who have gone through the restoration are even afraid of putting them in the water!!

Chris Silver Arrow

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 3:03am
Just gonna get the pics on the current page...

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

While this thread is back up.. I got some updated pics of Daves Century. He ran into a little more rot than expected (surprise, surprise ) Besides the already know spot on the back right ,It also had a little rot on the top mahogany rail, below the drivers windshield post. Both of these areas had also let water into couple of the wooden frame pcs. So,they will need to be replaced also... here are pics taken last week...

Still a great find!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 4:46am
Fins.. Where do you have that boat hiding?? Thats one that I would really like to take a peep at...
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 10:47am
Steve, You really have to appreciate the wood working that Century even put in there fiberglass hulls. Unlike Correct Craft they weren't afraid to show it and didn't try to hide it with pigmenting their resins. I'm sure you ran into a area or two on your Skier that made you think about CC's wood skill levels.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 11:24am
Pete, you took the words outta my mouth regarding the wood framing. That looks nice! But once Century started doing the foam and in the early 70s boats, their composite for closing in the floor resulted in a rot-fest back near the rear corners of the engine box. Some folks may have seen different but the 3-4 we've had were very sad. But man that framing looks great!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 2:36pm
Reid, I can safely say that the flotation requirements with the advent of fiberglass and the foaming was rot waiting to happen for all boat manufacturers!

Correct Craft was never noted for it's "fit and finish" on any of their woodworking. After the war, even the planked wood models were the planks on top of plywood. In some cases, I have seen where the plywood skin is holding the frames together (designed that way) and it's supposed to be the other way around!! Whenever I see a poorly fit joint on a CC, I get this picture in my mind of the old world craftsman in the plant making church pews in one room while kids with axes are in another room making the boats. Please don't get me wrong as I'm not coming down on the Meloon's beliefs, it's just the scenario I put together. Also, it was Higgins that was making the PT boats during the war while CC was making plywood boxes to be used as floats for temporary pontoon bridges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 3:03pm
I'm with you on that Pete. And I certainly wasn't trying to slam the vintage Centurys as I love them.

As for the double planked hull that CC used with the plywood under the planks, I thought that was actually a preferred and more expensive method as opposed to planks over battens? A number of Chris Crafts from the late 50's on used this plywood inner hull as well.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 4:15pm
As you can tell from my boat collection, I don't discriminate regarding material, brand, or age as long as if looks cool (in my eyes) and floats (or potentially floats), I am all over it! The "plywoodies" of the time generally seem to be of "lesser" quality in terms of construction, but a great way to get into the wooden boat scene. Although the restoration can be just as invloved as a planked boat, for some reason it seems less daunting to me.

Travis- I have the Tolly at my place at Lake Tapps. It is ready to drop in the Lake with about 5 minutes notice. Give me a shout and we can go for a ride!

59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 4:47pm
Brian, I definitely appreciate the invite, and will take you up on it, when the time allows it. I just returned from Toronto, and have been out of town for over two weeks straight, so I am trying to put things together around the house, and may have to run down to Olympia Sunday.

Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I'm with you on that Pete. And I certainly wasn't trying to slam the vintage Centurys as I love them.

As for the double planked hull that CC used with the plywood under the planks, I thought that was actually a preferred and more expensive method as opposed to planks over battens? A number of Chris Crafts from the late 50's on used this plywood inner hull as well.

Reid, I didn't at all take it as a slam on Century's.

The single and double planked boats serve two different purposes. The single plank is a lighter construction and hence a faster boat. Add that to Century's using the biggest engines they could find and they were always fast! The biggest problem is that it is the only wood hull that does require soaking to expand the wood and make the seams tight. Over several seasons of wet/dry wood movement and you end up with loose screws and or split battens and a leaking hull. The double planked hull with the layer of canvas and bedding compound between made it a watertight hull but heavier. They were never intended to require soaking but they did need the outer planking removed and the canvas replaced every 10 to 12 years. Beware of the double planked hull when the seller states that it just needs to be soaked!

In Correct Crafts case with their after the war planked boats, I have a strong suspicion that they took a cheaper plywood hull and by adding the planking made a premium hull! Double planked boats were bottoms only but Correct Crafts were the whole boat!

Brian,(fins) You are correct that the plywood boats were less quality. They were cheap and meant to be thrown alway when they got bad!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The biggest disaster happens to be the first fiberglass inboard. The 57 Chris Craft Silver Arrow

??? Hey Pete, seeking some clarification on this one. Arenacraft claims to be the first fiberglass production inboard. I am not certain this claim is true, but I am certain that Arenacraft made fiberglass inboards prior to 57. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 7:23pm
Reid, IIRC Century stopped making inboards at the end of 1976. They did not resume until 1980. When they did, my brothers & I bought a 1980 Resorter for $10,800 w/o trailer. We bought a Century over a CC because we thought CC had gone down hill in the 70's much like American cars. My brother still owns that boat and there is no rot. I don't know what the 70's Century were like, (pics show they got cheesy interiors), but that '80 is a well made boat. It's got over 1200 hours and the only repairs ever made to it are a new steering cable, throttle and one exhaust manifold. It is solid and it still looks great.

Pete, those Century's were fast. Some of the old Resorters hit 50. My brother's with a Merc 255 and a 13x12 Acme does 48 GPS. It's never even had the carb rebuilt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The biggest disaster happens to be the first fiberglass inboard. The 57 Chris Craft Silver Arrow

??? Hey Pete, seeking some clarification on this one. Arenacraft claims to be the first fiberglass production inboard. I am not certain this claim is true, but I am certain that Arenacraft made fiberglass inboards prior to 57. BKH

Brian, I hope your trip home was a good one and without incident. Looking forward to your next Midwest visit.

The fact about the Silver Arrow being the first fiberglass inboard was right out of Bob Speltz's "The Real Runabouts". The series of 7 volumes is really considered to be the "bible" of wood boats but he may be wrong! The volume with the Arenacraft in it is at work in my office. Monday I'll have to look it up and see what it says!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 11:30am
Fins, How many of those blue & white boats exist? I bet not many. I can see why you like the Atom.

How about some more pics of those boats?   They look really nice.
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 11:46pm
Actually, the turquoise one in the picture is my 1959 Glassmagic Playmaster. They are not all that rare. I bought it from a farm field for $300. I grafted in a modern SeaDoo motor so it looks like a little inboard boat now. Up here in the Northwest, the '50s fin boats show up with a little looking. They are one of the only things from that era that people are still giving away. If it were a '57 Belair basket case, it would be worth $20,000, but an old boat... you can have it. I personally have another 5 fiberglass fin boats in various stages of dis-repair that were all between free and $500. Starting to run out of room and patience from my wife though.
#1 Playmaster before
#2 Playmaster after
#3 1958 BellBoy Banshee field find
#4 1959 Reinell Jetabout (have 3 of these)
#5 Jetabout mock up w/ corvette hardtop

59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 1:02am
I dont see much "Field" around number three there Brian... How did you get that out of there?
Travs

1980 Ski Nautique
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 2:10am
Yeah. I know. We joke about it and call most of them "blackberry" boats. Some you can't even see until you hack the brush down around them. The Bellboy is one my Dad just found last week. We are going to wait until after Thanksgiving to yank it out of the weeds. Then you have to let it sit in the sun for a bout a week and let the frogs and slugs jump ship!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 8:25am

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Brian, I hope your trip home was a good one and without incident. Looking forward to your next Midwest visit.

The fact about the Silver Arrow being the first fiberglass inboard was right out of Bob Speltz's "The Real Runabouts". The series of 7 volumes is really considered to be the "bible" of wood boats but he may be wrong! The volume with the Arenacraft in it is at work in my office. Monday I'll have to look it up and see what it says!

Brian, I thought that the Arenacraft would be in Speltz's section of early fiberglass boats but it wasn't. I wasn't able to find much on the boat except he did start building them in 1955. It was a pressure molded fiberglass hull which isn't the fiberglass process we are used to. So it is still fiberglass and you are correct with it being before the Silver Arrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 10:41am
Cool boats. Finding and rescuing them is half the fun. I found this in a field in Maine the past Spring. We got it all cleaned up and dried out, and then decided to sell it when we found our Mustang. I got 3 people that wanted it the first week when it put it on Fiberglassics.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 11:22pm
Brian; Awesome collection and awesome wife!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic