NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Boats in the Barn"

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:52pm
Use money to pursuade them. Puffed out, that boat is worth a lot to the right buyer. Once its bastardized, the limited market for that boat becomes way more limited, and top dollar goes away.

My brother's 80 looks fantastic when it's just been waxed, but fades after being in the sun for awhile. He was thinking of painting it. I told him he probaly had the nicest original fiberglass Resorter in existance, and what was he thinking of. Wax more or have it wet sanded. Don't even think of painting it. Fortunately, he listened.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 12:55am
Dave's a great guy and has been around boats a long time...somewhere he saw a resorter with the complete wood deck and liked it.

After seeing this boat in the water, I have to agree,I would keep it original also. I really like the slight touch of the mahogany as an accent..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:32am
They made wood deck fiberglass resorters called "Fibersports"

New factory skins are available at AA marine,they have all the old century stock.Good people too..Thats a nice old Resorter they can handle much better with the addition of a tracking fin.

I'm still looking for an old Resorter myself I love the front bench seat and the windshield's are extra nice.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:48am
Munday.. thanks for the info on the Fibersport. I found a couple of pics of one for sale...

I still like the mahogany accent myself
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:17am
Steve I still think it is the same one . The one Im thinking of is in between the sand bar and the new houses down stream on the Rockfalls side . It was sitting in the back part of the boat house parallel to the river .

The one that I have been looking for , that I havent seen in a long time , is a red boat with - Try Me - on the back. I think it was in the same area . Possibly a Donzi.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:49am
Pat,
It was downstream from the sandbar,on the RF side, but also downstream (just on the other side)of the new houses..... Do you remember the old/ motorless Stars and Stripes MC , setting on a sling?(wonder what ever happened to it?) The Resorter was upstream from that. The boathouse is open to the river, with no door. The flatbottom in the pics sat in front of the Resorter.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 3:19am
Yeah thats the same boat .
I do remember the MC in the middle of the summer . Last I saw I thought someone was working on it .
Do you remember the red boat with -Try Me- On the back of it ? I think the last I saw it was back in the early 90's .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 8:36am
Steve, This is what a Fibersport should look like. The one you found has been "customized" with a wood deck that isn't even mahogany!

One of our chapter members is a great woodworker and replanked the center section of deck on one of his boats with cedar because HE thought it looked good. He buys, fixes and sells boats as a retirement hobby. This one with the cedar deck has been for sale for 13 years. The last I heard he had reduced the price down to 2K and he still can't sell it. He learned a valuable lesson and has now put replacing the deck back to original on his project list. It is a early 50's Chris. He happens to be one of the people who got the "did you see what he did the that boat" comment!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:04pm
I'd say those photos make the best argument.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:33pm
I agree... the wood on that deck looks like teak or something... poor grain/color match.

Pete,
whats different about the pic of the Fibersport you posted and the Resorter Dave bought? (other than color combinations)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:53pm
Steve, I'm not really sure what the difference is. I'll have to look at the Century site some more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 3:08pm
GOOD NEWS!!!!

Talked with Dave this morning and he IS planning to keep the vinyl in the center of the Resorter.. He agrees , after getting it home and starting to clean it up that it would be better to just replace the existing mahogany strips.   

When he first started talking about doing this, we hadnt seen this boat and how original it is!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

GOOD NEWS!!!!

Talked with Dave this morning and he IS planning to keep the vinyl in the center of the Resorter.. He agrees , after getting it home and starting to clean it up that it would be better to just replace the existing mahogany strips.   

When he first started talking about doing this, we hadnt seen this boat and how original it is!

Steve, I would think that boat is in goods hands with Dave. Doesn't he have a few others in his collection right now?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 4:00pm
Alan,
I guess you figured out which Dave!..It is in good hands! He just got a little "in a hurry" with what to do with the 68 before he actually saw it.

As for boats... Dave sold his 49 Century and one of his Speedliners.. He still has a Speedliner and an old 1937 Miller racing boat..

btw.... Make sure you plan to keep the weekend of May 16-18 open for the Muscatine boat show!...should be better than last year... Dave plans to run the Hydros at night..."Under the lights"... to his knowledge,its never been done before. Should be pretty cool!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 6:48pm
Steve, I'm glad to here the good news! I know it is for the better.
I really don't know the difference between the Fibersport and the Resorter. Unless it's a level of trim. It does look like the Fibersport was gone the year they made the Resorter a fiberglass hull. Someone who is really into the details of Century will know. We have our Blackhawk fall dinner coming up and will see several Century guys and will ask. Where is the wood rotted? Was any attempt made to caulk the wood to the deck to seal out water? I've never had one apart.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 12:23am
Pete ,
The wood was rotted at the rear starboard side, about even with the back seat. Kind of a wierd place,it was right on top of the piece. Good thing is its not into any structural area.
It hard to see in the pics,but the PO was a body man (auto) and had 'glassed over the mahogany strips and painted them to match the interior. Dave is planning to replace all of them. Other than that everything looks rock-solid and original...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 8:18am
Steve, I couldn't tell from the pictures that he had glassed over the wood. That explains a lot about the rot. We all know about what happens to wood that has been "encapsulated".

Your title of this thread reminded me of a friend who always found great boat finds in barns, garages and boat houses. It was always amazing to me the boats he would come up with until the day I asked how he found them. He has since retired but was a Waukesha county sheriff all or most of his life. Waukesha county (west of Milwaukee Wi.) is filled with lots of lakes and plenty of barns. He in uniform and a squad car could go anywhere he wanted to. I think he spent more time out looking for boats in barns than police duties! He was the first person I knew who had a Jersey Speed Skif which in the midwest is rare!

You may already know this but wanted to mention it. When Dave replaces the wood on the deck, I feel he should bed it to the deck in 5200 (mahogany color) to seal the bottom side from water. Do all the fitting of the planking first, then pre staining and at least one coat of varnish or sealer. Then screw it to the deck and bung the screw holes. The pre stain and seal will prevent the areas of the wood where he gets the 5200 on (it's messy) from being sealed and not "taking" stain latter. I do this with bright finished wood that gets close to 5200 and or epoxy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:50am
Pete, in your meathod above, you must be starting with very dry mahogany. What % do you shoot for?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 10:25am
Greg, Not really that "dry". About 10%. Moisture content of wood has frustrated boat builders for centuries just because wood is so dynamic with the changing seasons. If I'm working on a boat in the winter in a heated area, I will humidify the space. I've seen boats built without space between the planking that will look fantastic out of the shop in spring and then with the humidity of the summer swell to the point of pulling screws out of the frames. It is the width and not the length of a board that will grow the most so in the case of this Century with the single plank it won't be a problem. Also with it 5200'd to the fiberglass deck, it will stabilize it.

This movement of wood is also why the new modern clear coat finishes don't work. They are simply too hard and will not move like the good old Spar varnishs will. There are attempts being made to modify synthetic clear coat that can be sprayed but haven't seen it work very well. For now it's a $40 brush and the best varnish you can get!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:01am
Pete,
The 'glass work was done after the wood had started rotting. It was the PO's attempt to repair the damage.

As for boats , heres a couple pics of Daves 49 Century he just sold.

And a pic of a Speedliner he just got done last year... btw, I think this might be for sale?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:30am
Very nice!! I really need to talk to you guys about joining the ACBS!
Whats the white boat in the garage?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:38am
I was thinking that the 5200 wouldn't allow movement, but I guess it does. We're talking about the front deck planks, right? How thick are these planks? The few I've seen up close appeared to be butt jointed with a chamfer on each side of the joint. Is that about how it's done? A floating tenon comes to mind...

Sorry to bend your 'ear' as I'm not in a position to start on a project just now, but there is a neat one on ebay. Caddy fins and all! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:40am
The one 62 just posted looks like it has a white filler in the joints?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 1:01pm
Greg, Typically deck planking is 3/8" and the planks are simply butted together. No tenons, tongues and grooves, splines, etc. Every 3rd or 4th seam will be real and in between they are fake. Simply grooves routed into the face.

I don't know your background into wood boats so I don't know if you were serious with the question on the filler in the seams. The answer is yes it is filler. Today they are using the 5200 but previous would be a linseed oil base putty and then painted white.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 1:14pm
My background on wood boats has mostly come from you!

So that's all plywood...got it. And yes, I was serious. I'm storing this away for future reference.

At the very least, I'll be better informed the day I do go to bring one home.
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 1:46pm
Greg, No, it is planked with solid. Some Correct Craft's and some of the cheaper Centurys were done with plywood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 3:05am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Very nice!! I really need to talk to you guys about joining the ACBS!
Whats the white boat in the garage?

Pete,
The boat in the garage is also a Speedliner...he sold it a little over a month ago. btw, talked with Dave tonight..he just sold the Speedliner shown in the drive.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
20th Century View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 8:58pm
Great Boat! It looks like it is in pretty good shape too! I saw someone else here mention A&A Marine. Not only do they have original vinyl patterns for all the Centurys, they also have the original two ladies that made them! They also have the original Century embossing equipment to emboss the logo in the back seat. Of course I found all this out after I had new vinyl done on mine. Oh, they also have the ladder/railing guy too! The fibersport was the name of the '68 fiberglass resorter when you could order either wood and fiberglass. In '69 they went all fiberglass and it took on the Resorter moniker. Another great source for Century information is Miklos and Sons near Pittsburgh. They know everything there is to know about Century boats and their website is really cool and loaded with restoration pictures of Centurys and Chris Crafts. http://www.centuryclassicpowerboat.com/
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 7:23pm
I know that fiberglass over wood is usually the kiss of death (in fact the reason the bottom is coming off my '59 Atom #1 for replacement, but what about plywood boats from the factory with glass overlays? My Tollycraft (1966)has a single layer of glass mat over the decks and hull sides. Many of the Riva models have glass over the skins as well. You can still see the wood grain through the mat. Is the real problem if the wood is encased on both sides? One issue that you can see on the bow and starboard side on my Tolly is dock dings (from the PO) that seperate the glass from the wood.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 8:32pm
Fins, Nice looking boat! That looks like it has the same steering wheel as my 66 Barracuda SS. Dont know if a spare one anywhere?

While this thread is back up.. I got some updated pics of Daves Century. He ran into a little more rot than expected (surprise, surprise ) Besides the already know spot on the back right ,It also had a little rot on the top mahogany rail, below the drivers windshield post. Both of these areas had also let water into couple of the wooden frame pcs. So,they will need to be replaced also... here are pics taken last week...

Still a great find!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic