Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat turns sharper in one direction then

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat turns sharper in one direction then
    Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:57pm
Hey y'all,

I have a '77 American Skier (not a CC) and am having a little problem with the steering. The boat turns very sharp to the left but no where near as sharp to the right. It also has a funny vibration when turning very hard. Any Ideas? also does anyone make a easily removable rudder for towing. Mine is VERY low to the road and gets dragged once or twice everytime I trailer it. (our roads suck around here)

Thanks!
Bobby
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 3:33pm
You answered your own question,rudders are not ment to drag.Look at the rudder from the rear, and the side and your problem will be obvious .
A good trailer will have a guard built in to stop such stupidity,raise the boat on the trailer. Install larger tires, DO NOT LET THE RUDDER DRAG................
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 3:50pm
Do you have the trailer hooked to a high ball mount say on a pickup? The ball mount should be of a height so the trailer frame is level.

All boats due to the torque steer from the prop rotation will steer better in one direction but you may want to ckeck the cable adjustment to see if you get equal rudder travel in both directions. Have you changed the cable lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:06pm
Sorry should have been more specific... The triler is Homemade and it's level... I know not to draga rudder but got my self in a tough spot and had to touch it. Every road around here has a concrete ditch yuo need to drive thru to get off the road. First time it happend was getting into a gas station. (I've been boating and trailering a LONG time) The boat had the vibration before I got it and it's only while turning. You can also hear a whining type noise while it turns. I take it no one makes a removable rudder? Guess I have to bust out the welder and make a brace...

Back to the turning... it seems like sometimes the boat is level (side to side) when turning and sometimes it lens into the turns. Any ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:09pm
Have you checked the shaft alignment lately? How's the cutlass bearing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:23pm
What is the best way to check them? This is my fist inboard I'm more of a outboard type guy.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by RSWORDS RSWORDS wrote:

You can also hear a whining type noise while it turns. I take it no one makes a removable rudder? Guess I have to bust out the welder and make a brace...

Back to the turning... it seems like sometimes the boat is level (side to side) when turning and sometimes it lens into the turns. Any ideas?

The rudder could be vibrating while turning. It could also be prop vibration/cavitation. Many on here have noticed a whining and/or vibration after changing props. Your prop could also be dinged and causing the issue. Or, it could just be harmonics from the hull causing issues. Have you replaced the floors and/or stringers and if not, are they wet and need replacing?

And then the boat leaning into the turns sometimes and sometimes not. The only thing I can think of is that you have water soaked foam in the hull and it's time to replace the floors and stringers. That just doesn't make sense at all. The boat will always lean into the turn unless you're idling through it.

Check the alignment and strut condition like Pete suggests too.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:42pm
It always leans some but sometimes it leans alot more... After thinking about it alittle more the faster i go the less it will lean.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 5:11pm
Robert
This may sound like a pain in the butt, but I carry two hitches in my Avalanche for towing my BFN. My trailer has no prop guard ( I am working on that situation ), so I carry a hitch that lowers the tongue and raises the rear of the boat in case I need to.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Robert
This may sound like a pain in the butt, but I carry two hitches in my Avalanche for towing my BFN. My trailer has no prop guard ( I am working on that situation ), so I carry a hitch that lowers the tongue and raises the rear of the boat in case I need to.
Lefty

I hear you on that... I already have 2 for my Cummins. One fo the heavy Utility trailer and one for the boats. Guess I'll order another for this one. God I love a boat...

Oh and I want to tell all of yuo that boat on Fresh water that I envy you. i live on the Chesapeake Bay and working on a salt water boat sucks... Thanks for the help!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 8:04pm
Robert, The search feature is a great tool on this site. I just put in "alignment" in as a key word and found the thread that Eric our on site trans guy did. It even has pictures! Here is the link:

alignment

Links can be created by using the world globe icon above. You will be asked to put a description in the first window and the the second window will be the address that you can copy and paste.

Backfoot has asked about the condition of your stringers. Do you know their condition?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 11:29pm
Pete
Thanks for that info on how to do the links. I got part of it earlier today, but didn't get the description part right.
I will try it the next chance I get.
Thanks again,
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Backfoot has asked about the condition of your stringers. Do you know their condition?

Not a clue on the stringers. Any way to check them w/o tearing up the whole floor? The floor is VERY solid except for a very small spot by the drivers feet that if you press real hard with your feet you can feel it give a little.

I did go and look at it some moe and the rudder turns ALOT more to one side, wonder if that is the problem (<- Sarcasm). The alignment thead is kick ass. Thanks
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:23am
Robert give me shout , I'll walk you through the rudder adjustment

Dan T

www.midwestamericanskier.com

Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 7:30am
Robert, I used the search feature again and found this post by Bill (ski bum). I didn'tcreate a link because I just wanted his post and not the whole thread. Bill (ski bum) did a stringer replacement thread with pictures if needed. It's very good.

Checking your stringers by skibum:     

SkiBum

Posts: 481 Posted: 12 March 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | Report Post    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably save you some time. Is it a twenty year old boat? Were the stringers ever replaced before? If you answered yes to the first question and no to the second question, then the answer to your question about whether or not you have stringer rot is yes, you do.

Look along the base of the stringers for any cracking. This indicates that rotten stringers are separating from the hull. Look for obvious weak or soft spots that are damp. The wood behind these spots will crumble when touched. Use the base of a screwdriver and systematically tap on the stringers. Listen for a change in the sound. When you find an area like that poke the tip of an ice pick into that area. If it goes in easily, the wood is rotten. Tighten any bolts that go into the stringers. If they just turn and turn without getting any tighter, the wood is rotten.

You may even try some exploratory surgery. Cut away a small patch of glass from a suspect area. You'll see what is back there. That can be patched.

Former Owner
1987 Ski Nautique

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 10:51am
Pete,

Robert has an American Skier so the construction is different than a CC.

Robert, if you have a soft spot in the floor, the door has been opened for water to get into the foam and into the hull. The only really good way to check on the condition of the stringers is to remove the floor. You could also tap on the stringers with the but of screwdriver or a small hammer right along the stringers on each side of the engine. If you hear a dull thud instead of a crisp crack, the stringers are gone (wet). If there has been a lot of water getting into the soft spot, the foam is going to be soaked on that side of the boat for sure. The problem won't go away on it's own. You'll have to replace the floor and foam for sure.

The good news is if that is the only soft spot in the floor, chances are probably good that the stringers are OK. I had two soft spots in my boat. One being pretty good sized and when I replaced my floor, the stringers were still OK except for the first couple of feet and I was able to repair them instead of replace them. You should plan on replacing the floor before the problem gets worse because it won't get any better.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 11:09am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Pete,

Robert has an American Skier so the construction is different than a CC. .

Sorry, I didn't know that the American Skier didn't use wood stringers. So they had the composite stringers before CC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RSWORDS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSWORDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

The good news is if that is the only soft spot in the floor, chances are probably good that the stringers are OK. I had two soft spots in my boat. One being pretty good sized and when I replaced my floor, the stringers were still OK except for the first couple of feet and I was able to repair them instead of replace them. You should plan on replacing the floor before the problem gets worse because it won't get any better.

I am BEYOND scared to hack into this boat... Is there any good write up with pics on how o replace the floor? I don't want to put alot of $$$ into it its a 30 year old $2500 boat. Here are the pics.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic