Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 chrysler question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 chrysler question
    Posted: September-22-2004 at 6:07pm
Hey all.... I am looking at a 1969 barracuda with a 318 chrysler w/ velvet drive transmission.I was thinking of doing a rebuild on the engine if i buy it. I saw a engine for sale near me. It's a 318 chrysler with a borg warrner velvet drive tranny completly rebuilt with 100 hours on it. Its a 72 yr though. Would this fit in my 69 yr barracuda? It would save me big $$ and allot of time.

Thanks all, Chris
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 2:00am
Don't forget to deduct for the Tylenol. Pull it apart in a referenced and recorded way. Take it to a decent machine shop in your area, put it back together, !ORIGINAL!, and enjoy your handy work!
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 2:13am
The 69 and 72 318s will both be LM style as opposed to a polyhead. Depending wwhere you are Speed Specialities in El Cajo California already has an LM block bored .60 over. If it were me I would rebuild the original engine unless it was run in salt water.
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 11:06am
Thanks all....the only reason i ask is that i looked at the engine in the boat i am looking at and at the end of the serial # infront where the pullies are, it has a M after the number. The other rebuilt engine and tranny have 100 hours on after a complete rebuild including the block. Upgraded all components , starter, alternator pumps coolers and a electroniic mallory ignition.Transmission completly rebuilt. Just a dropin.... And the engine is only a hour and a half from my house.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 2:11pm
I would guess that your original engine is obviously a marine engine and the rebuilt used an automotive block for the rebuild. I don't think the blocks were different.
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 5:26pm
Thanks Rick, 66polyhead, for the help. The rebuilt is a m. Guy is sending a picture of it today. And by the way. I found a guy in orland fl who will rebuild mine for $1,300.00. Yea....nice deal. And will ship back and forth to me for 75 bucks. Im about a 3 hour drive from them. If anyone needs # i will post it.

Again, Thanks all, Chris
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 8:53pm
I just talked to the guy who owns the boat and he said when he did a compression test it was around 120 if that means anything. The boats been sitting for two years though and makes me a bit sketchy....   any feedback from any of you engiine guru's.....

Thanks chris
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 11:28pm
The important thing about a compression test is that all 8 cylinders are similar.

As for the 2 years... IF it was winterized PROPERLY before it was stored, then you should have no problems at all. Just summerize properly and go. If gas was left in the carb, then it might need a rebuild (but not necessarily) - I would try it first.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2004 at 1:26am
If all 8 cylinders are within 10%, @120 p.s.i, that is 12 p.s.i. difference, it should be O.K.. As for marine, and auto app. blocks, most single engine Chryslers are right hand rotation. This is why you can use a auto motor in a boat. On my Poly motor, the left head is strictly marine. Mainly because of the coolant flow. Be shure to look closely at the coolant hoses and if you can, look at a service manual, for a coolant flow diagram. I learned much needed knowledge about mine by buying a manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic