Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

packing adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: packing adjustment
    Posted: September-13-2004 at 3:08pm
The guy I bought the boat from had changed the packing for the drive shaft but told me it needed adjusting. I adjusted it yesterday and I have some questions. I searched the forum but I still need some clarification.
There is a stainless steel collar on the shaft. It has two hex-nut set screws in it. The screws were loose and the collar was sitting next to the bronze nut that I tightened. There are two screw holes on the shaft about two inches above the bronze nut. Is this where the collar goes or is it supposed to be snugged down against the bronze nut? Is the stainless steel collar the locking nut or, are the packing nut and locking nut both bronze?
Next, the rubber seal between the nut and strut base is looking a little ragged and I was thinking of replacing it. What's it called and is replacing it difficult? It looks like I would have to pull the shaft.
Thanks,
James
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 3:51pm
I will give this a try. The SS collar is a safety device to help prevent the prop from hitting the rudder. The shaft can come loose at the hub and slide into the prop (if no collar) when backing down hard (usually only an issue with shafts held in the hub with set screws). Yes, the collar should be where the holes are located...otherwise the collar simply slides on the shaft and will not do its job.

To tighten the packing, simply loosen the locking nut (bronze) then tighten the packing gland cap snug. Retighten the lock nut against the packing gland cap.

Yes, in order to replace the rubber between the packing gland assembly and the through hull fitting, you must, at the very least, unbolt the shaft hub at the tranny hub. Remove the shaft hub and slide the shaft/prop toward the rudder. This should give enough clearance to remove the packing gland assembly and hose. If not, you will also have to remove the prop.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2004 at 1:19pm
Thanks David. This is what I suspected but just wanted confirmation.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2004 at 10:04pm
Bravo! David, University level!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic