Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil pressure sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pressure sending unit
    Posted: September-09-2004 at 2:50pm
I just bought an '85 Ski Nautique with 351 cid Commander. I wasn't getting much of a reading on the oil pressure gauge. I picked up a new sending unit from the local auto parts dealer. The fitting on the new sending unit was larger than the original so I used a reducing bushing. I sprayed the connecting wire with contact cleaner and also sprayed the back of the pressure gauge.

Now when I start her up, the pressure gauge pegs out immediately. I think it should read around forty, then increase as RPMs increase, topping out at 60 psi.

Has anyone seen this? I guess my questions are:
1. Is the automotive sending unit the same as a marine one? Is it just the worng unit?
2. Is the gauge reading backwards? What I mean is, could the scale somehow be reversed and I'm not getting any pressure?
3. Should I even be worried?
I'm thinking about getting a mechanical gauge and checking the pressure directly. Any suggestions?
Craig Black View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 3:03pm
The same thing happened to me with my '82 Ski Nautique. An automotive unit oil pressure unit pegged the gauge and a marine unit from Discount Inboard Marine shows the same pressure as a manual gauge I put on the engine after I removed the automotive unit. The marine unit is obviously calibrated differently from the automotive unit. Call Discount Inboard Marine. They have the right one.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 4:45pm
Could be the automotive sending unit is for a light (on/off) vs. a guage. Regarless, sounds like the automotive sending unit is somehow grounding on startup. I'd take Craig's suggestion and order the marine sending unit from SKIDIM.com.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 7:01pm
Thanks Craig and Keith. I will order a marine unit from our sponsor, Discount Inboard Marine. I'll check for loose connections/grounding problems too. I need to run the wires anyway. The gauges don't light up and there's a problem with the fuel gauge. It bounces around alot and doesn't work all the time. I also suspect it isn't giving an accurate reading. Any ideas here?
Thanks again.
James

77Stang View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77Stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2004 at 12:57pm
Your teleflex pressure gauge requires a sender that has an Ohm range of 240 to 33. This is significantly different than the ones supplied by auto stores and also different than "Marine" sending units manufactured by other suppliers.   You dont have to SKIDIM. Most any boat dealer will stock teleflex gauges and senders.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2004 at 2:21pm
There was only one oil sending unit listed on SKIDIM--"Marine oil pressure sending unit, Ford/GM". That's the one I ordered. It should be here in a few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic