Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Info

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Ski Nautique Info
    Posted: August-15-2007 at 5:58am
Recently purchased a boat off of this site and i am stoked. Needs a few things, but have little cash. I am looking for a starter as mine is a little slow as well a carb rebuild or maybe an adjustment. Also, the guy i bought it from mentioned the riser was leaking, so he gave me new gaskets for it. After i started it, i noticed the leak, put my hand under the riser and felt there was maybe a rust hole on the bottom of the riser. I was told that JB Weld from Kragen or any auto parts store would remedy this situation. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

David
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 7:29am
David, Congrats on getting the boat and am wishing you many years of enjoyment.

I'm not a big fan of epoxy as a permanent fix. Since you have the new set of gaskets, I would take the manifolds off and inspect them closer or even presure test them. If you have a hole in one spot, you may be thin in others too.

Also don't jump in and replace the starter without testing/checking for other causes of slow crank. Are you having starting problems?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Also don't jump in and replace the starter without testing/checking for other causes of slow crank. Are you having starting problems?

If you do need to have some starter work, check into having your starter rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt for under $40 bucks a few years back. New starters can be pretty spendy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Jake Jake wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you do need to have some starter work, check into having your starter rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt for under $40 bucks a few years back. New starters can be pretty spendy.

We certainly have plenty of talent here on our site with people doing their own engine rebuilding which has got me thinking about starters. A starter is pretty much turn the commutator, press in new bushings & ream, replace brushes and paint. Does anyone do their own starter rebuilds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:27pm
all you realy have to do is clean the com ring and replace the brushes, add a little grease to both bearings and your done. Well unless the nose cone is worn out or the gear is shot then you need to get a rebuilt one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:34am
Thanks for the info, Pete. Just came back from a vacation and went to where my boat is being stored and found the battery was dead. Hooked it up to my car and it started up in a few minutes. Went back tonight and dead battery again. hooked it up again and it fired up, ran it for about 20 minutes. turned it off, then tried to start it but no go. Turns over slow when battery is charged. A friend mentioned a starter solenoid, what do you think? Also, the JB weld stuff didnt work too well.

David
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:14am
i'm definetly not the talent pbrainard is talking about, but it sounds like you need a battery.
bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 7:44am
77, First, are you starting it up dry? Don't, as it is really hard on the rubber raw water pump impeller. You really need to have it hooked up to the garden hose or in the water.
Bill's idea about the battery isn't bad but did you see if the amp meter was showing a charge? Even if the alternator was putting out, it may of not had enough run time to charge up the battery. Pull the battery out and get it on a charger. Do you have a volt-ohm meter? You could check the STATE of charge of the battery. No load volts should be close to 12. The CONDITION of the battery can only be done with a load test which is a meter most auto stores should have. If the battery is more than a couple years old, you may want to just get another. If you get another, buy a starting battery and not a deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 2:49pm
So what can cause a slow turn? My 240 hp PCM Ford has always done that. Cold it cranks right over, warm the first crank is really sluggish, almost like the battery is about dead. Fortunately it always fires right up anyways.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:35pm

77, First, are you starting it up dry? Don't, as it is really hard on the rubber raw water pump impeller. You really need to have it hooked up to the garden hose or in the water.

Thanks again for the info. I do start it up in the driveway, but i attach the "fake a lake" to it with the water hose. I put the battery on the charger last night. After work i am going to check to see if it held a charge. It is a 2/10 amp battery charger. When i hooked it up, the meter registered at 12, so i tried to crank it again and it would try to turn, maybe once and then died. ??? I would like to get it out on the lake for the first time this Saturday but am a little wary of dying out and having problems. Do you think it is just the battery?
David Lewis

77 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 77nautique 77nautique wrote:

Do you think it is just the battery?

David, I really don't know. You need to do the tests I mentioned. I am glad you are getting water to it in the driveway. Did you check the age of the battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:49pm
Having to paddle a heavy inboard sux! ...and can be very dangerous in high traffic areas for several reasons.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

So what can cause a slow turn? My 240 hp PCM Ford has always done that. Cold it cranks right over, warm the first crank is really sluggish, almost like the battery is about dead. Fortunately it always fires right up anyways.

When hot and slow symtoms, remove the coil wire. If it cranks fast like it does cold, then your initial timing is too advanced, nudge it back a scunch.
If it still turns slow, then its likely the starter.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 1:39am
Gotta Ski...good advice for Riley! I was going to mention the same!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic