Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lew View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in Transmission
    Posted: September-07-2004 at 8:58pm
I just bought a 1978 Ski Nautique and found water in Transmission. I initially thought transmission cooler was bad but I took it out and performed a pressure test on it and it appears to be ok.

What is the best way to flush the Transmission? I flushed it once already but still see Pepto-Bismol fluid.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 2:59pm
Just keep flushing it until the pink is gone. Then flush it again for good measure. It just takes repetition. If the pink color does not lessen with each change, you are introducing water.

Hate to admit it, but once I forgot to install the drain plug and launched my boat. By the time I noticed the problem and got the drain plug installed, the tranny ingested water. Not wanting to ruin a day, we pumped the water out of the bilge and kept going. Upon returning home, I immediately changed the tranny fluid simply by sucking it out with a turkey baster. I change the fluid about 4 times before I was satisfied. The tranny has worked flawlessly ever since (7+ years). Moral of the story is they are really very tough and forgiving.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic