Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running my motor on dry land

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running my motor on dry land
    Posted: September-06-2004 at 1:53pm
Is there a simple way to do something to my '69 Barracuda Chrysler 318 so I can run it on dry land? I went to see a 1988 Correct Craft and the owner started it up after attaching a garden hose to run water through it, but I didn't see how he did it.

Is this a simple modification to make?

Can I make it to my boat?

If so, how?

And where can I get the parts?

As in, is there a kit somebody sells, or do I just get something off a shelf at an auto parts or plumbing store or somewhere else?

Thomas
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2004 at 2:01pm
check SKIDIM, Overton's, Barts, or any other large distributors of Boating supplies. Fake a Lake are kinda sorta a modified sink plunger that connects to a garden hose and fits over the water intake under the hull. Other devices are afixed in line inside the motor box that you can attach a waterhose too. You can just disconnect the line and insert the garden hose directly and tighten the clamps. Keep the transmission in neutral and keep the RPM down low. Some say below 1500.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2004 at 3:40pm
Flush-Pro! Found it at Discount Inboard Marine. That looks like what I need.

But they have it in 1" and 1.25" sizes. Know what size I need? My boat is at the marina…

Thanks,
Thomas
scharf5 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scharf5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2004 at 5:22am
stick the waterhose in your water intake hose that way you can run it on land
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2004 at 1:12pm
Someone on the Forum (or some other forum I browsed) was very critical of the FlushPro. So, I went with the Fake-A-Lake. It's pretty fool-proof.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 11:46am
I made a fake a lake from stuff at Lowes. 1 plunger, 2 female hose ends, 2 hose clamps, and a 10' length of clear 3/4" or 5/8" hose. Just cut a small hole in the plunger, push the hose fitting through, attach the hose and clamp and another hose fitting and clamp at the other end. All told it was about $10 and 10 minutes to put it together. What I really like about it is that with the extra lenth of hose, I put a small on-off valve on the end of the garden hose and can control it from inside the boat, no hopping in and out to turn it on.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 5:07pm
I've got the old style fake a lake with the telescoping post. I showed a friend a picture of the new style and he did what Bill described. He punched a small hole in the plunger and stuck a piece of clothes hanger wire through it to hook it to the pick up screen on the bottom of the boat.
Tim D
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 5:21pm
Yeah, I should point out that the standard plunger handle worked out to be the right height for the boat, otherwise I would have put a block under it or cut the handle shorter. Kind of lucked out though...
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 9:03pm
45 Gal. trash barrel filled w/ water & a length of clear 1 1/2" dia. home depot hose connected to the intake after the seawater strainer. Works great
You can run along time like this.
(Note! My boat drains the barrell faster than my garden hose can fill it. That is why I always thought the direct garden hose ideas weren't as good.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic