NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump
    Posted: September-06-2004 at 5:13am
Hey all. My newly acquired 1968 Mustang with a Ford 289 has a sucking problem. The previous owner advised me that when first starting the engine it must be reved up to get the raw water pump to pumping OR plaining the boat will also get it pumping. He said he replaced the impeller but that did not help. Well, he is absolutly right. Am I in need of a new pump? Could the problem be a blocked line somewhere? Your help is appreciated. The engine heats up pretty fast if no water is moving though it.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2004 at 4:43pm
I would try looking at the thermostat. is it sticking. Try running without it and see if if solves the problem. If not I would try to replace the impeller one more time. Call SKIDIM and make sure you are getting the right one.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2004 at 1:26am
The pump could just be worn out, sometimes it just need repacing. I have a spare I could sell you if you are looking for one.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2004 at 2:09pm
I had an over heating problem this weekend also. I pulled the thermostat and it's running cool now. I'm ordering a new one today. Is there any problem running with out a thermostat for the short-term? (Other than the engine not warming up as quickly--the lake temperature is 80 degrees).
RE the water pump question...I seem to remember when a water pump goes out on a vehicle, it leaks around the seals. Is that right? Would this happen in a non-pressurized cooling system?
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2004 at 2:23pm
Without the t-stat, the operating temp wont't get hot enough, the engine parts won't expand the the optimum size, and so you may experince some engine damage from loose tolerances between them. Without the t stat, the engine shouldn't get much more than 110 degrees.

Operating without the t stat to trouble shoot or to get back home is fine. I wouldn't run for several hours with it out.

Put the t stat in boiling water with a theometer to ensure it isn't opening and closing at the right temp (143 or 160 depending on t stat) This could help pinpoint your problem.

The engine water pump can leak if it is worn, it is underpressure when the engine is turning.   The Raw water pump shouldn't leak, it will suck in air rather than leak out water if the seals are worn.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 3:16am
Thanks 88. How much do you want for your pump? Is it an exact bolt-in replacement for the pump on a '68 Ford 289? You can email me at jim@drivesys.com.

Thanks.. jim_in_houston (look out for Ivan!!!!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic