NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

69 Mustang engine problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Big Jim Slade View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Mustang engine problem
    Posted: August-30-2004 at 4:18pm
All right you Correct Craft experts, I need some advice with a problem I encountered yesterday. After warming up my Mustang with a 302 Ford, I went out for a spin. Almost immediately, I noticed some blue smoke out the back. A small amount is somewhat normal, but this felt a little different. The smoke continued and now steam was coming out of the vent at the back of the motor cover. I immediately shut her off and paddled back to the dock. When I opened the motor cover, I noticed the bilge was FULL of water. I had already run the pump until minimal water remained in the bilge. I noticed the exhaust manifolds were hot, as I brushed my leg up against one. This I've done before, and they were never more than warm. Finally I noticed a frost plug was out sitting on the floor. My somewhat technical mind concludes that a frost plug popped out, water pump kept pumping water into the block until it reached the open frost plug hole. From there it shot out filling my bilge and splashing on the hot block (manifold) until steam came out from the motor cover vent. I'm hoping the solution is to re-install the frost plug and go. Some advice would be appreciated about my conclusion. I would also be open to any additional advice on things to check before trying to restart her. The last question is what's the best tool (rubber mallet, etc.) to re-install the frost plug so it doesn't pop out again? Thanks. Big Jim Slade
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 5:18pm
That blue smoke may be a sign of a blown head gasket. I would do a compression check on all cylinders, because if a freeze plug was leaking,it's likely not enough water reached the heads and causing the exhaust manifolds to be hot. Did the exhaust have that certain sound, when water is coming out? Tim D 1966 Mustang
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 5:46pm
Tim, there was no change in the exhaust note at all. I also forgot to mention that none of my gauges (water temp, specifically) even moved. Can you give me a brief description on how the water pump routes the water for cooling. Where does the water go? When and where is it combined with the exhaust gasses for extraction out the exhaust pipes? Thanks, Matthew (aka Big Jim Slade)
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 5:51pm
The exhaust and water meet in the elbow. The water comes out the thermostat and goes directly to the exhaust. Just keep checking the oil, if it gets milky you've got a blown gasket.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 6:41pm
Thanks Tim, I'll keep a close eye on the oil. Matthew (BJS)
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2004 at 2:18pm
I sort of disagree. The raw water pump always pumps water through the exhaust manifolds regardless of engine temperature. The thermostat controls water flow through the engine block and heads. If you lost a freeze plug and hence never filled the block with water, then the temperature sender will not send properly because it needs water to read the temp properly.

The blue smoke indicates oil is being burned which indicates a valve seal or ring problem. An overly hot engine will cause a ring problem to be worse as tolerances open up with thermal expansion.

Go ahead and replace the freeze plug, check compression and hopefully you did not crack anything. You need to check the rubber exhause hose(s) for internal collapse as excessive heat will cause it to do so. The best way to insert freeze plugs is to spread RTV or Hylomar sealant around it edge and then drive it in with a large socket the same (or close) diameter as the freeze plug. Drive it in until the flange of the plug is flush with the block.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2004 at 4:17pm
I know the raw pump always sends water through the exhaust, that's why I asked about the sound.I was not talking about the raw water pump, I think he was asking about the pump on the engine which pushes water through a hole about the size of a quarter into the block. Make sure the freeze plug is brass, they last longer.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2004 at 2:16pm
Tim & David, I really appreciate all the feedback. I've got an update about what I found. Got the original brass frost plug in with minimal fuss. Gave a squeeze to both rubber exhaust hoses off the back of the manifold. The port side rubber felt really mushy (thanks David). Checked the oil and things looked good. Started her up and things looked (and sounded) great. Tested by making some low, medium and high-speed runs. Everything still seemed fine. Decided to make a ski run. Talked to my driver about the problems I'd recently encountered. Indicated that if anything looked or sounded strange, shut her off. Made a couple slalom passes and the trouble started. Boat speed started slowing and faded fast. Driver indicated speed started to fade, more throttle did nothing to correct this. I was told the motor made a noise like a backfire and then died. Once again I rowed her in with my trusty paddle. Inspection revealed the port side exhaust hose had disintegrated right where it felt soft. Inside appears to be something like a furnace filter, kind of a white mesh material. With this exhaust hose ripped, the boat will not start. Now I could use advice once again on what the next step is to getting her back on the water before the season ends. Thanks once again, Matthew (69 C.C. Mustang “Big Jim Slade”)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic