Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 Chrysler won’t start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KevinPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 Chrysler won’t start
    Posted: August-26-2004 at 2:21pm
Hi, I have a 1969 Chrysler Marine 225 that turns over but won't fire. If I jump from the + side of the solenoid battery post to the + coil post, it will start. I replaced the ballast resistor but the new one got hot, too, & smoked. The coil's resistance in within specs per the meter. Any ideas?
Kevin
'69 Barracuda
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 4:13pm
you say that the coils resistance is within specs. how bout the resister's or is that what you meant?
KevinPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 4:56pm
The old resistor was hot, the new one actually smoked. I did not test those. I took the coil in to an auto shop, they said they could only test its resistance, not its function, and the resistence of the coil was within specs.
Kevin
'69 Barracuda
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 9:35pm
Do you have the coil wired properly? Ignition goes to the resistor and then to the positive side and distributor goes to the neg. side. Turn the key to the on position, take the dist. cap off and break the points contact to check for spark. If you have spark, check gap, I run mine at .017(seventeen thousands). Check out the Chrysler manual in the reference section, page 34 has a complete wiring diagram
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 9:55pm
polyhead,any idea on the holly rebuild ?
let me know when u need the cash.
kenny g
KevinPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 1:08pm
Thanks, polyhead. So far as i can tell from my diagram, it is wired correctly. It ran great before this, and i haven't changed anything. I do have spark in the points and I grounded the #1 plug and turned it over and got only occasion spark, and it seemed weak.
Kevin
'69 Barracuda
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 3:13pm
Sounds like the positive 12v power is grounding out somewhere between the resistor and coil. Disconnect the wire from the resistor that leads to the coil. Then use a jumper wire from the bare resistor terminal (no other wires attached) to the coil+ side. If the engine then starts and runs fine, you need to find the short and fix it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 3:19pm
oops, the above post assumes that your resistor is still good. You can move the jumper at the resistor back along the wiring until you find the point where the engine runs fine, then you will know where to start lookign for the short. Keep in mind that you do not need the resistor while troubleshooting. The resistors function is to lower the voltage at the coil to avoid overheating the coil and burning the points.
KevinPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 3:38pm
Thanks, DavidF. I'll try that when I get home tonight and update my progress...
Kevin
'69 Barracuda
KevinPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2004 at 1:37pm
I got it started last night. I put new points & condenser in, and jumped from + side of solenoid to + side of coil, it started. I then jumped from bare resistor (ign. side) tang & it didn't. I replaced the ballast resistor and it ran fine. I guess I was thrown off by the fact that the store sold me a defective one last week. I should have known better. Thanks for all the advice. Kevin
Kevin
'69 Barracuda
David F View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2004 at 12:14pm
aha, you purchased a BOOB (Bad Out Of Box) part. Glad you are up and running. Be aware that some new parts can FAST (Fail After Short Time).
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2004 at 3:37pm
Don't forget to keep a good, working, resistor, in the glove box!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 3:11pm
or you can just keep a jumper wire (with alligator clips) handy in the boat...much easier than messing with tools while on the water. This is what I do. In fact I just keep it clipped to ground points under the dash to keep it out of the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic