Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neutral Switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutral Switch
    Posted: August-25-2004 at 1:08pm
I have started having trouble with my Neutral Safety Switch. Sometimes I have to rock the controler back-and-forth to get it to start. Is there any adjustment in the switch, or do I just need to replace it?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2004 at 7:22pm
You can verify it is the neutral safety switch but disconnecting the two wires from the switch and connecting them straight to each other. If your problem goes away, a new switch runs about $20. If you do remove the switch and opt to bypass it while you wait for the new one, do not attempt to start the boat while it is in line and close proximity to something you don't want to hit. Sooner or later you will forget and hit the starter with the boat in gear.

"There are those of us to whom it has happened and those whom it is going to happen"
Barr-acuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2004 at 9:59pm
You may want to try pushing the linkage on the transmission towards the rear of the boat. I know of 2 other boats where the cable just doesn't seem to push the lever far enough back to allow the boat to start. At least it doesn't cost anything to try this first. Good Luck
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 1:51am
I agree with mrese it may not be the switch. Test and see. Could be electrical gremlims
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 10:37am
Thanks for the input. I have verified it IS the switch, and I HAVE bypassed it temporarily. My linkage is adjusted to line up perfectly in neutral, so I guess I need a new switch. Has anyone ever replaced one? Will I need a new flange gasket or does the switch unscrew out of the flange?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 5:51pm
The switch simply screws out/in. It has a steel ball that must fit in a notch for the engine to start. So position of the shift lever is critical. Usually, having to wiggle the throttle is more an indication of a worn throttle mechanism than a bad switch. But, if you say it is the switch, then replacement is a 5 minute operation. Polarity of the wires is unimportant.

FWIW: My boat does the same thing and replacing the switch changed nothing. Every once in a while, I have to wiggle the throttle lever to get the boat to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic