NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help!!..Overheating?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!!..Overheating?
    Posted: July-18-2007 at 11:48am
Some of you may know I had an overheating problem on Friday at GL with my 64. It was the first time in the water this year.

The temp ran up over 200 after getting out of the no wake zone. We were towed back to the dock (thanks stang),where I took the old 160 degree t.stat out.(the same stat thats been in the boat since I bought it 2 yrs ago).
   I went to an auto store and bought another 160 , put it in , and same thing... it went over 200 again when giving it gas to get on plane.

Again we were towed back to the dock,(thanks Boat Dr), where I removed the t.stat completely. With no t.stat the boat temp wouldnt even move the temp gauge off of 100. Altho I didnt like it,we ran it that way for the weekend.

When we got back home, I tested both of the t.stats, (the old and new) in 165 degree water. They both opened and when the water cooled to around 150, they were both closed. Soooo, what gives with the 200+ running temp? Could the engine have had an air lock in it somehow? What to do next? Help!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 10:54pm
FYI.... I did replace the impeller in the water pump with a new one right before got to GL.

While at Green Lake,when I was replacing the t.stat , I started the motor with the pump outlet hose off and at idle it had good flow of water, as well as good pressure.

Any ideas?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 12:53am
A restriction somewhere, perhaps. What did your old impeller look like?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 12:55am
Steve, I'm assuming you idled out to the end of the no wake zone. Once out, you put her up on plane, right. This is when she warmed up.

Later, to test flow, were you just at idle or higher?

Point is, could this be RPM or cooling water pressure related? This is just a guess, but is it possible that the new impeller is creating much more flow or pressure than the old one. Is it possible to force the thermostat closed with excess water pressure?

If there is any validity to this idea, put the old impeller in and see what happens.

Just brainstorming. Havn't been down this road.

Yet.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:29am
The "old" impeller was only a year and a half old. It was all intact, but had the normal vein "set" from being in the housing.

Steve,yep, idled out off no wake...soon as getting on plane, temp went up. As for unofficial flow test. The boat was idling around 700rpm...had a nice flow of water and when trying to "cap" it off by holding my hand over the end ,it was like trying to stop a running garden hose...

I think Im going to try what The Boat Dr suggested...cutting the pellet out of the t.stat and use it as a restictor plate.   Like you say....also might be worth putting old impeller back in just to see what happens?

btw your trailer work ok?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:36am
Yeah. No sweat. I kinda overreacted initially. I'm even second guessing doing the spring replacement. I'll have to suss it out a bit.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:44am
whats the thermostat look like, anyway to get us a picture? Even marine thermostats can be of the low flow variety these days which will not work well with some of the older restriction based circulation systems. You need a high flow model .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:38am
Joe, make it back home ok?

The stat that I used (and was already in the boat) is a standard 160 degree automotive type. (...same application as 64 Mustang car) Couldnt find an actual marine one at GL.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:49am
Arrived home about 7:30am on Monday, went to bed till noon went in and worked the afternoon. In my 302 with the older style cooling system I usually have to prime the system after it has been drained completely on a ramp or the like. I have a bypass tube that I fill up using a gatorade bottle without that it it runs up to 200 pretty quick. I have also had problems with thermostats that have large flat rings on the outside and a small opening in the middle I noticed the other day at the auto parts store they have the high flow type in the high performance section I would give one of those a try if you cant find a good high flow marine stat. high flow 160 stat
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:55am
Thanks for the hi-flow stat info Joe...

I wondered if it could be air-locked with a closed stat... Considered loosening the temp gauge sending unit where it threads into the block, as its at the highest point.

Where do you run your prime tube into?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:59am
On the 302 I have a bypass hose that comes out of the spot on the intake manifold that normally contains the temp sensor and bypasses the thermostat and goes back to the circ pump so there is always good circulation even when the stat is closed. Ends up similar to the newer setups. Anyway thats the hose I pull off and prime through, same spot your talking about.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:43am
Well,Finally got the boat back in the water for the first time since the GL overheating. Last week I replaced the t.stat with a 140 degree marine one as well as replacing the raw water pick-up hose........

Good news is ..it didnt overheat! the bad (or wierd) news is it ran around 140 coming out of the marina and once on plane ,dropped back to around 100..

100 is better than the 200 plus at GL,but any ideas why it wont run temp runnin down the river?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 4:58pm
And you want a new project boat?????
tell you what I will do for a CCF member in good standings;
I will drive there and take that DEFECTIVE BOAT off your hands....
Will take a shortcut to Reids house and pick up the SS and do an even swap
Bring you a box of boat nurses cookies, will bring that 6 cyl. home,swing by Reids and double tow that SS to La also....
Just tell me how the above offers will best suit you and your world tour of book sighnings and movie deals
Glad to go the extra mile for a buddy..................boat dr

the water is too cold up there for that boat,its a southern boat ,and cannot be asked to endure the temp extremes you are subjecting it to,we will give her a good home...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 6:12pm
Doc,
WHAT A BUDDY!!....You bring meaning to my life again... a direction...something to look forward to each day. Just to know there are caring people out there...someone to "guide" my way thru life, if you will. It almost brings tears to my eyes that you would even consider doing all that to help a fellow CCF'r! Let me re-consider the errs of my way.........oohhhhh .............wait a minute...something's beginning to smell a little fishy here 'ol buddy..

I'll get back with you on that...I gotta go... the line of people seeking my autogragh are getting a little restless...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 10:03pm
Steve,there are others that are more qualified to answer but here's my 2 cents. Your engine I believe only has a raw water pump,right? Mine only has the raw water pump and I have a 160 degree stat,and never went over 120 at GL.This is why I assume engine builders went to using a raw water pump and a circulation pump, more even temps.That same 120 degree running temp in my boat explains that blood curlding screem from our La friends-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 10:22pm
Gary, I have a raw water only in mine, running a 140 , it was a little cooler there.More like 130or a little less.
As we got here the temp is at 140 again, to to get an even swing on the guage I had to drill a weep hole 1/8" in the flange.Don't have a clue why but it works.......................boat dr

Some of these boats have not made the change from the south to the colder climates. These same boats need to be sold and moved back to their native tropical area.
The same for the Barracuda's they were ment to live and breed in the warmer waters of the south, if moved north they will develop all sorts of health and skin problems.
Better to leave them in their native environment .Steve the SS really means,Still Southern...........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic