Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuying a used CC what to look for?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a used CC what to look for?
    Posted: July-12-2007 at 3:55am
Hello all new here. I'm looking to buy a used Correct Craft in the $5000 dollar range. I've found 3 in my area, a 72, a 78, and a 79. Two have 302 engines and one has a 351. The 72 has been totally redone top to bottom and the newer ones are all original but great shape. What are potential problems I should be looking for when buying with these boats? The 79 I just looked at had some excess fuel around the carb, but the owner said it was just rebuilt last spring. The boat has been sitting all this year though and started right up. He told me it does this if it sits awhile? Are these boats high maint. compared to your average bowrider,etc? I'm looking towards one of these because I have 2 teenage boys who are really getting into watersports and figure I may as well buy the best pulling boat for the money. I guess I'm asking should I buy the one from a marina (the 72 totally redone,new paint,interior,motor rebuilt a few years back) or look towards the 78 or 79 all original ones from private parties. To me they all seem the same between the years but I'm sure you guys know something I don't? Thanks in advance, Brian
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 5:03am
what models are they? I'm betting the two with 302's are mustang's and one is a ski nautique with the 351. So your compairing a 17' boat to a 19' boat so one will have more space than the others, usually the marina is going to charge more for the same boat as well.
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 5:54am
72 Mustang, 78 Ski-Tique, 79 Ski-Natique, as far as room goes they all suit my needs. Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 8:43am
Brian, Beyond the condition of the engine, you need to be carefull to check the condition of the wood stringers in the hull. They are the fiberglassed over wood structure of the boat and after 20 years or so rot. There is tons of info about it here on this site.

I love my 77 Tique. Lots of fun.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
barr68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 9:25am
Read all the posts you can in the maintinance and engine sections of the forum . The stringers, floor, engine and trans condition are critical. Older Correct Crafts are fantastic classic glass boats ,but a 30-40 year old boat is still 30-40 years old no matter who manufactured it originally. Assume that every (and I mean every !) component is worn out unless you can prove to yourself that they are in sevicable condition. Many boat owners simply purchase the boat and run it into the ground, then let it sit in the backyard for a few years until thier wife complains enough that they sell it. The ad usually reads , "nice older boat ,excellent condition for year, hardly used, needs a little work, ect,ect." Take your time and dont take anyones word for anything reguarding the boat they are selling, check it out yourself,no matter what kind of boat you buy. Best of luck,Jim Beville
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:13pm
First of all, here is a checklist for all CC's that have wood stringers.

Now, IMHO, I would buy the Ski Nautique for the only reason that it has the name most recognized by non CC persons. This fact alone will make the boat easier to sell in the future when you want to upgrade. However, all the boats will be tons of fun and probably suit your needs fine.

Also, the Tique and Nautique both probably have tracking fins and thus will handle a bi better than the Mustang...I think.
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 3:03am
Thanks for the replies. The 79 Ski-Nautique I looked at last night had 1100 hours on the clock. All of the original gauges work. Is 1100 hrs. alot for a boat of this age? After your excellent replies and links, I narrowed it down to 2 boats now as one of them the floor and stringers were rotten. I plan on looking the 72 Mustang over good at the marina tomorrow now that I know what to look for. Are the 79's alot more refined than the 72's to justify buying from a private party vs. a dealer? Also does anyone know what year they started using the borg warner trans as I heard good things about them? Thanks again, Brian
lumiecraft View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 4:31am
Add to that list the need to check to be sure the rudder is not bent, the rudder bearing block is not busted, and that the shaft strut is not bent. Also check that the shaft it self is not bent. Run it and watch it and if you can take it for a ride.

lumiecraft
If you don't get it, be patient, you will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 7:50am
Brian, The 1100 hours is said to equate to 110,000 miles on a car but just as in a car, those can be easly or hard hours. To get a true idea of the condition of the engine, a compression check / leak down test is a good idea. A top end valve job at these hours isn't unusual and not a major problem but once again depends on it's previous history. The test would tell.

You will not find any difference in "refinements" from 72 to 79. In fact you would need to jump another 20 years or so to get into things like EFI on the engine and electronics in the dash and in my opinion wonder if the added problems that go along with them is worth it!!

The Borg Velvet drive is the trans used from the early 60's into I think the late 80's so you are safe. Yes the cast iron Velvets are a good trans.

How have you been checking for rot in the stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 10:56am
Looking at little cosmetic things like the cleanliness of the engine, gelcoat and interior says a lot of how it probably was taken care of. Make sure that there aren't a lot of spider cracks in the gelcoat.

My personal opinion would be to look closer at the 79. It's a little bigger and with two teenage boys wanting to ski, the extra room will be appreciated. I'm sure that they'll want to learn to wakeboard and I think that will give you a better wakeboard wake than the others would but I could be wrong on that. The only downfall to the 79 is that if the stringers haven't been replaced, they will definitely need to be done in the future. If you're not willing to take that on yourself, it can be a somewhat pricey undertaking. Someplace in the neighborhood of $5K. The 72 on paper sounds like the better deal and if the dealer is willing to give you some sort of warranty, that could be worth it over a private owner. Just my .02. Let us know what you decide.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 6:22pm
Unless it is a steal, buy the best one you can afford. It's just to easy to start getting nickel and dimed on these things. My '86 is in excellent shape and I budget $500 every year on stuff to replace. Most of the stuff does not need replaced but it has never let me down in the 10 years I have owned it. Most people buy new stuff because they run it into the ground and it eventually becomes too hard to keep it fixed and running.

Tim
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 9:05am
Well the guy from the marina finally got back to me on the redone 72 Mustang. It turns out that the clutch pack was sticking and they tore it down to fix. The boat has been sitting since last fall (almost going on a year)and when they went to put it in the water for my test drive it was sticking. They recently dropped the price $1000. Is this something I should be really concerned about if fixed right? Finally I can go for a ride either today or tomorrow. They had a mechanic quit earlier this summer and are backlogged with work so I imagine that the guys with the $30,000 boats are getting serviced first. Any last minute tips on things to look for prior to and after my test drive? If this boat doesn't check out I have one more to fall back on. I respect the fact that the dealer didn't just try to sell it to me anyways without making sure it has a clean bill of health first. He did say he will guarantee no problems for 30 days and that is kind of a deal maker. Heres a link to a pic.      http://www.lakedelhimarina.com/vehicle_picture.asp?picture=images%2Flakedelhimarina%2FVP473321%5F1%2Ejpg                            

the boat shines like new very clean Thanks, Brian
hspore View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 3:32pm
Had to jump in on this one...assuming the stringers and other critical areas check out, I'd buy the SN over the older boat...like the other guys said, you will appreciate the extra space, the tracking fins, the 351, and the name recognition later on for resale.
And does Chris(79 Nautique) still have his Nautique for sale? It may be a little more $$$, but appears well worth it. You would hate to buy a boat for $5k and immediately find out you need to do $2-3k worth of work to make it useable.       
Heath
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 4:12pm
I'm not sure I'd ever sell the boat. When I upgrade I plan on buying a high powered jetboat most likely. That way whatever mood I'm in I'll take that boat that day. Or I could let one of my 2 brothers use it. I'd only get what I paid for it, if I was lucky, but most likely I'd loose money if I were to trade it in. Storage isn't a problem as my brother just bought a farmette with many storage buildings 8 miles away. The one thing that scares me about the SN is the floor,stringers,everythings all original where the Stang their not. I don't mind 1000 dollar repair bills. It's the 3-5000 ones that hurt. I'm not saying the boat needs this done. Unfortunately he now put it on e-bay so I will have to bid on it,Brian
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Briman Briman wrote:

I'm not sure I'd ever sell the boat. When I upgrade I plan on buying a high powered jetboat most likely.

Drive a CC and you will never drive a jet boat.
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 4:56pm
Yea you're right. I'll have about a 20,000 budget in March of 2009 once something else (atv)gets paid for. That should buy a pretty nice newer one. I've already been looking at them in my price range. I like to look ahead.
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 11:17pm
I'm bidding on the Natique......wish me luck....and don't outbid me please
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic