Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stalling at idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimmyhank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyhank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stalling at idle
    Posted: August-09-2004 at 1:38pm
Hello everyone, Im new here and have a question about my 1981 Nautique. I was out wakeboarding this weekend, and it started to stall out at idle. At first i thought the idle screw maybe slipped and it was idling too low. So I popped the motor cover and bumped up the idle. But it was still stalling at like 700 rpm. So my question to you is: what is causing this? The boat runs great under power, but is stalling at idle. I was thinking of changing the plugs. The cap and rotor are new as of last summer.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 2:54pm
your idle circuit may have some gunk in it. I would remove the idle screws and with rags over and below them crank the engine a few times. You can do it one side at a time. Be careful you will be spitting gas out the holes. after that I would replace the screws and retune them either by ear or with a vacumn guage. Your idle should be between 650 and 850 and when in gear above 550.I like to run mine at 600+ in gear.
jimmyhank View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyhank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 4:39pm
where are these screws located? is it the same screw you use to adjust the idle speed? how do you re-tune by ear? i do not have a vaccum gauge. thanks for your help
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 9:21pm
If this is a Holley 4 barrel the speed screw is on the linkage and it controls the base idle speed. On each side of the front float chamber there will be 2 identical silver screws these are the idle mixture screws. what you want to do is to close one of these at a time until the RPMs start to drop then open it 1/4 turn. Do the other side and repeat until smooth. At this time if the idle is high or low adjust it to 700 rpm using the speed screw.Now repeat the whole thing until you idle smoothly at 650-800 RPMs in neutral and about 550-660 in gear. You might want to find an old guy who has done it before. Anybody over 45 remembers what a carb looks like.
jimmyhank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyhank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2004 at 5:03pm
i just downloaded the manuals in the reference section of this site. I now see what you are talking about. It's so nice that someone has scanned those manuals and put them online for us.. What a great reference

thanks for your help.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2004 at 1:41pm
jimmyhank also check your intake manifold bolts are torqued to specs.
jdreiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdreiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2004 at 8:35pm
Jimmyhank, make sure everything is charging fine and no shorts. I had similar problem on my '81 and it turned out I had a starter going and short in my oil sender that was draining everything to the point that at idle it would poop out. It would idle fine at the beginning of the day, but once out for a while the problem would arise.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2004 at 4:47pm
The symptom is also indicative of a stuck or non sealing needle valve. This causes the engine to flood at idle and die. Rebuilding the carb is the only fix. Do you have to give it throttle to restart and does black smoke come out of the exhaust on start-up. If so, you have this problem.

You can try tapping on the top of the fuel bowl near the fuel inlet to see if the flooding stops. Sometimes the tapping dislodges the dirt and lets the needle valve seat properly.
jimmyhank View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyhank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 12:34am
well, i threw in a new set of plugs, new cap and rotor and ran some fuel treatment through her and she is purrin like a kitten now.
882001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 1:55pm
im probably gonna get flamed again by those two queers. but here goes. get rid of those points do an elecrtronic conversion. mine was doing the same thing. points were in need of some filing. but i dont carry a flat file on my boat, and never will! i got mine from www.vintageperformance.com 100 bucks for a hi perf coil and the conversion kit delivered.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 5:37pm
882001,you are certainly entitled to your opinion just like everyone else on this forum.
was that statement really necessary ?
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic