Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need some help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some help
    Posted: April-10-2007 at 11:22am
Ok this is not for a CC but when I get this out of the garage I can start on my exhaust manifold problem with my CC!

My buddies work truck is a toyota little truck like an 89 4 cylinder and it keeps overheating, we put a new radiator in and new thermostat, top hose and bottom hose. It still keeps overheating just driving it around the block a couple of times..... Does any one have any suggestions??? I just want to get it out so I can start on my boat.

Thanks

B
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 11:25am
Did you bleed the coolant system?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 11:30am
also Water pump impellar could have deteriorated.
Or Head gasket failed - do the hoses harden before it heats up?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 11:38am
The hoses had a lot of pressure after we turned it off and it was a little hot but I am not sure if before it was hot. If the water pump was no good would the fluid still get hot in the radiator if it is not circulating? or could it just not be working good enough.

Wouldn't the oil be milky if you had a cracked head or a bad gasket?

Hey thanks for helping even though it is not a CC!!! I appreciate the help as always!!

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 12:06pm
Also, a plugged or dirty radiator will cause a gradual (or not so gradual) rise in temp and will overheat. Also, it probably has an electric fan with thermostat. Is it coming on when it is supposed to?
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 12:07pm
oops. I just realized you said you put a new radiator in. Sorry! Still it could be the fan. If it's a mechanical fan, the clutch could be worn out.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 1:03pm
Does it blow any steam out of the exhaust? If so the head gasket is bad and it is loosing compression and super hott exhaust gas into the coolant system and over heating. That or it has a cracked head. I have a 89 CS turbo dodge daytona that did this thought it was the head gasket but it had a crack in the combustion chamber. If that doesnt sound like it id say that the water pump impeller deteriorated. That or the coolant system needs blead. Or you got two bad thermostats in a row. Does the heater get hott when it over heats if not that its probably the water pump or the thermostat. Howmany miles are on that motor.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 1:20pm
It has heat when it is hot and it has like 80,000 on it. it was steaming a little from the exhaust but it had an exhaust leak about half way back it comes up around the cab, I think it was just cold out and steaming a little, this was before it got hot.

This could be a dumb question but how do you blead the system? We just drained the radiator? What would it help to blead the system?

Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 1:26pm
did you install the t-stat backwards?

Also run the motor with out the radiator cap on and watch it cycle a couple of times and add fluid if needed while it is cycling/flowing through the radiator.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 1:48pm
I was not there when they put the t-stat back in so that is a good question and we did run with the cap off and it did not go down but you could see it moving.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 1:57pm
Would running it without the t-stat maybe brake something loose and get the system running more freely? Worth a try or not? Do you think it would get hot running without the t-stat?
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 4:19pm
Might be the gauge.

Munday
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 6:04pm
You could get a pressure tester from a local auto parts store to check if the system has a leak wich would be your cracked head or the head gasket dont get it hot anymore or you will warp the head and have more work on your hands. Some systems have a Little bleeder screw to bleed them but i doubt that engine sets above the radiator to bleed it jack the front end of the truck up pretty high and let it run for a few and watch for bubbles coming out.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 9:28am
He got it. I just came into this project at the end and they had already put the new radiator in and when he went to put a new line on today he found that they had left a plug in the new radiator and then put the hose over it. So it was not circulating at all because one of the returns had a plug in it.

Thanks for your help it is running cool now!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 11:59am
Ouch thats hard to miss haha good deal.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 2:08pm
The 22RE. I've got two of them. It can have a blown head gasket and blow out the exhaust and not get in the oil. One of mine did that. One way to tell is take the plugs out, if one is cracked or broken that's a sign of water, also shoot some air in each plug hole. If its a blown gasket, it will go above normal temp on warm up and fall back to normal temp. Do you have the heat on? If so, check this site out, scroll down until you see the thermostats.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic