FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Test: Acme #540 vs. '79 Federal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Test: Acme #540 vs. '79 Federal
    Posted: July-12-2004 at 3:48pm
For those of you who wondered how a new prop would improve your boat's performance, take a moment to read my review of the Acme #540 as I compare it to my stock 1979 Federal Propeller.

With the same surface area of a 4-blade and the top-end of a 3-blade, the #540 is the perfect solution for older Correct Crafts and, I can tell you, it had an unbelievable impact on the performance of my '79 Mustang.

Read the complete review.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 3:43am
Keith,

Why not the 4 Blade?

Did your 12rh14 run 30 mph at 3000 RPM?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 10:00am
To be fair the old federal had none and actually near +2 rake. The newer props use at least - 4- 9 degrees of rake, moving the blade back toward the rudder. The newer props pull up the bow allowing more air for lift, of course giving the hull much more hole shot, hull control and in some cases more speed.
I had the privilege of testing the proto OJ 4 blade in 1996 and it made such a impact CC put them on all there boats for quite a few years. They were the first to introduce them on tournment type tow boats.
OJ makes CNC,Cast, SS blades.
In essence any prop manufacture can make a difference in performance, boat manufactures use the prop that work best for their product, generally speaking.
Martin View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 5:08pm
I have a 1980 Ski Nautique and it has 13x13 RH 1" prop, I am using it for wakeboarding at 20-22 mph
What would be the best prop for my boat ?.

Thanks
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 5:17pm
64 Skier,
I was ready to test the 4-blade but Bill Weeks from Acme advised me to try the 3-blade instead. He told me their new 3-blades outperformed their 4-blades in every way. I don't understand the technology that well but from what I understand four blades give you added surface area. Apparently because of new manufacturing technology, the Acme 3-blade I tested (#540) has as much surface area as the comprable 4-blade (#208) with out the added drag.

I would agree with SS 201 that a new prop from any manufacture would make a big difference in performance.

I intended on testing an OJ 4-balde as well but I guess their 13" RH are back ordered for the rest of the season.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 5:27pm
Martin,
Acme recommends the #540 for Skiing and the #542 for Wakebording (see quote from Bill Weeks in review article). Both are 13" RH. The #540 has 12 pitch and the #542 has a 11.5 pitch. You also can use the 4-blade #208 if you like (see comments above about Acme 3-blade vs. 4-blade).

OJ lists the Force 4-blade 1" bore 13 X 13 RH for Ski Nautiques With 1:1 Transmissions (they do not specify wakeboarding or skiing).

All of these props are available through SKIDIM.com. The #542 is not listed on their site but available when ording by phone. Mention CorrectCraftFan.com and get 10% off your order.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Martin View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 5:32pm
Do you know what difference would 14x14 make vs 13x13

Thanks
HudsonSpeeder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 7:17pm
While we are on the subject of props I would like to ask a question?
On a Nautique-Ski , 1992 , is there a better prop (than the stock one) for slalom skiing ? Is there a better prop for lets say barefooting? I am currently running the stock prop and find it does a great job, 2200 rpm gets me about 22 mph.

Thanks guys!

Hudson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 7:49pm
Hi Keith,

I just read your review of the ACME540 prop. Sounds like you're in heaven. If I decided to go with this prop is there an increase in rear wake size ? Basically I only use the boat for Slalom and footing, and would like to keep the wake as flat as possible.

Thanks
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 12:55am
Hi HudsonSpeeder,
My experience is that the wake size was, in fact, smaller. The new prop raised the stern more at slalom speeds which resulted in a slightly smaller wake.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 1:22am
Thats very interesting Keith, now how do I make sure I order the right prop for my specific Nautique? Are you aware of any dealers in Canada?

Thanks,

Hudson
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 1:10pm
What year and model Nautique do you have? What engine and transmission ratio does it have?

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 5:46pm
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info. I will have to check for the engine and transmission ratio. Since I am new to the Nautique is there a simple way to check for this info on the boat ?

Thanks

Hudson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 11:53pm
Hi Keith,

Just went through my Nautique docs and this is the info I have.

Model: 1992 Nautique Ski 19.6
Motor: PCM PLP-PR-R12PT, ser:322134 285HP
Transmission: PCM 40, ser 040-12536 with cooler, RATIO 1.23/1
Present Prop: Brass 14RH16

I Hope this is enough info. Thanks for your assistance.
Martin View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 12:36pm
Hi Keith,

What prop would you suggest for 1980 Ski Nautique with Ford 351, trans 1:1 and current prop 13x13. I got told that the ACME 542 would make my engine rev to much.

Thanks
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 4:49pm
Martin,
The Acme #542 is recommend for Wakeboarding (slower speeds) while the Acme #540 is recommend for skiing. However, all of the following replacement props are recommended for your boat:

• Acme 3 BLADE 13x12 1" RH #540
  • Acme 3 BLADE 13x11.5 1" RH #542
  • Acme 4 BLADE 13X12.5X1RH #208
  • OJ 13x13 3BLD RH 1" BORE
  • OJ 13x13 FORCE 4 BLADE RH 1" BORE

All are available from www.SKIDIM.com (shop through this link and get 10% off your order).

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 4:54pm
HudsonSpeeder,
You should get either:

• Acme 3 BLADE 12.5X15.25 RH #612
  • Acme 4 BLADE12.5x15.5x1 RH #422
  • [

OJ doesn't list a specific prop for your boat but you can call technical support at SKIDIM.com (803-345-0996) and they can help you find the right prop.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 5:27pm
Thanks for all your help Keith. I just ordered the #612 prop and puller kit. Acme Marine assured me that this is the prop to get for Slalom skiing. I should get it early next week so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zigzag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 8:46pm
Keith

I have 76 Ski Tique that used a 12 X 14 when new. Around 88 switched to a 12 X 13 and had good results with acceleration/response. Wondering if this Acme prop would do even better. I have about 3/4" of clearance with the old prop when measuring straight down from the hull and 1" when measuring parallel with the blades. I read your review and your advice about clearance. I guess I was wondering if your clearance to hull was this close with your Mustang?
                             Thanks Tim

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 7:53pm
Hi Keith,

Just received my prop. Just a question for the installation , the instructions say to screw on the "puller nut" and then hit it with a hammer. Is the shaft actually going to move? The shaft moves into the tranny ? I'm not familiar with direct shaft so it seems wierd.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 2:29pm
The TAP with the hammer is to loosen the prop after the puller is tightened. Use a TAP don't wail on it. If the tap doesn't cause the prop to pop off, retighten the puller again and tap it again.To tighten the puller put a 2X4 between the prop and the hullto keep the propshaft from turning. Heres where it gets wierd. In the prop pulling kit there is some graese.If not use the waterproof grease you have for thr trailer bearings.When installing the new prop put a thin layer of grease on the shaft before putting the prop back on. That will make it easier to remove it the next time.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2004 at 11:49pm
Just installed my new ACME #612 this weekend. Great! The hole shot has improved and the torque and throttle response has greatly improved.The only neagative thing I can see is that my boat now needs more speed before the nose (full plaining) comes down. I now need about 2 mph more than before, but for me it's not a problem since I basically use the boat for slalom skiing. The "Harmonic" puller worked like a charm getting the prop off. Worth every penny!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2004 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Zigzag Zigzag wrote:

Keith

I have 76 Ski Tique that used a 12 X 14 when new. Around 88 switched to a 12 X 13 and had good results with acceleration/response. Wondering if this Acme prop would do even better. I have about 3/4" of clearance with the old prop when measuring straight down from the hull and 1" when measuring parallel with the blades. I read your review and your advice about clearance. I guess I was wondering if your clearance to hull was this close with your Mustang?
                             Thanks Tim

Tim,
I can tell you that my clearance with the #540 (13" x 12) is about what you have with your 12" x 13. The rake of the #540 is around 12 so it fits more like a 12" than a 13".

I hope this helps.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
'78 Ski Tique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '78 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2004 at 9:40pm
Keith- What prop would be a good replacement for my 78 ski tique with the mercruiser 198hp 305 engine. Would your new prop fit my boat, or are there differences?
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 7:06pm
'78 Ski Tique,
I'm no prop expert but from what I understand the Acme #540 is the recommend prop for all 1:1 transmissions (which your boat does have). Even though there are differences between your engine and the PCM 302/351, the #540 would still be the recommended prop.

To be sure, you can ask Tech. Support at Discount Inboard Marine(803-345-0996)when you place your order or contact Acme direct(888-661-ACME).

Please remember to enter CCFAN in the promocode or mention it when ordering over the phone to get your 10% off discount from Discount Inboard Marine (http://www.SKIDIM.com/).
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Barr-acuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 5:08pm
After using my ACME 612 for a couple of weeks now I can be considered a fan. My 99 SNOB is quicker out of the water and my barefootin' son says the water isn't as turbulent as it used to be at 38 to 40 mph.
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 10:51pm
Barr-acuda,

Thats the word I have been looking for, TURBULENT! Yes I must agree the water IS less turbulent, great for Slalom and footing!!
ACME props RULE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shum8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2004 at 2:39am
OK. All this talk has gotten to me. Ordered an ACME 542 for my 77 Ski Nautique. Got it on the boat today. I am going to try this baby out tomorrow. I really hope I am not disappointed. Currently have a Federal 13 X 14. Check tomorrow night and I will post my feelings on this new prop. I should see a big difference in the fact that I am going from a 14 to an 11.5 pitch.    
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2004 at 8:25pm
Don't use a block of wood to stop the prop from turning, it will mashed the puller into the prop and distorts the leading edge.

Put another crescent wrench on the puller's 'C' portion. This lets the prop float, all the torsion is within the puller. Apply moderate torque.

'Warm' the hub with propane, and then go in the house and have a beer, then you will hear a clang when the hub finally expands and releses, and retrieve the prop.

Lapping the new prop to the shaft makes removel easier next time, and eliminates odd vibrations. Deburr the keyway before lapping, else you groove the bore.
shum8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shum8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2004 at 10:47pm
Man what a difference. Out of the hole is incredible. Less turbulence, less vibration, it holds speed a ton better and even in the turns it performs like a different boat. Of course there has got to a drawback. This thing likes gas now, alot. However, you cant have the best of both worlds. Besides Nautiques are made to pull. Wish I could compare it to a 540 and get an idea of which one would have been better for my needs. But since we wakeboard mostly, I guess the 542 is best. Final analysis, best money Ive spent on this boat yet. Bar none.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic