NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
baumanmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 4:40pm
Buffalo,
   I didn't mean to leave you out of the thank you , you have also helped me, so thanks a lot. I did get in there and start moving things around, but I have yet to figure out what size wrench fits those mount bolts (for up and down adjustment). I think it may be metric? It seems like my whole motor needs to be shifted over, you can see in the pic that the whole things is over about a 1/4 inch. I can move the driveshaft over to it, but I know that isn't the answer. Motor to driveshaft, not vise versa. Thanks Greg
gb842001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 4:54pm
Thanks Greg, sure is nice when we're all in a good mood?!!? LOL

On the wrenches, half of this will help...maybe. As noted, your mounts are diff than mine so this may not help at all. Get a good quality crescent wrench and you can tighten it on the nut/bolt. I've had a time or 2 when I couldn't get the whole wrench on the nut, but a good wrench tightened down will hold most times. Maybe not if the hardware hasn't moved in a while. The other part that won't help is a set of open end wrenches I got from my grandfather...they look handmade(almost) and fit just so. I can't loan those out...sorry.

One other thing; I think you would do better with the rubber boot disconnected, prop it with a block of wood and check to see if it's centered in the strut. From this point is when the engine gets moved. Hope that makes sense. Also make sure you don't over extend any of the mounts.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 5:03pm
Greg, I forget if you're in my neighborhood...drag it on by if you are!
1988 BFN-sold

baumanmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 7:47pm
I wish I was in your neighborhood, cause now I'm out trying to get my prop off and even that doesnt seem to be going as easy as I thought. I figured I would get that off so when I get it alighned I woudnt have to tweak on anything. The reason I dont like to take my toys anywhere around here to get worked on is the prop shop I borrowed the puller from told me to just crank it down and beat on the back of prop. I'm no expert, but that sure seems like it would be like beating on the trany.
gb842001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 8:08pm
i swear to you guy's, I had a PCM 1.23 with a completly busted off back end from the old slide hammer trick, its not a good idea,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by baumanmt baumanmt wrote:

The reason I dont like to take my toys anywhere around here to get worked on is the prop shop I borrowed the puller from told me to just crank it down and beat on the back of prop. I'm no expert, but that sure seems like it would be like beating on the trany.

Have you tried the search feature here? There are many good thoughts and procedures here in the archives. I agree that you don't want to smak it. You probably know that it's a taper fit, and if either part has a bur or whatever, it will be tough to get off.

I think I remember a "torque up the puller, heat the center of the prop a bit, and have a beer while you wait for it to pop" procedure.
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 9:31pm
Greg (baumanmt) I just noticed that you are in northern Montana! Not to often that we get someone here from that area. My college days were spent at Montana State back in the early 70's. After graduating, I went to work at Chet Huntley's Big Sky. I worked there for a year and a half and then realized that working construction in the area was seasonal. In order for me to stay I would have had to find one of the rich ranchers daughters but that didn't work!! Came back home to the Midwest but certainly miss Montana.

Do get a prop puller or at least a gear puller that will fit. You want a constant pressure on the prop taper. Greg mentioned heat and that will work in combination with the puller. Don't slide hammer it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
saffer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 4:25am
Hi Guys
Cant get the two edges seperated no matter how hard i "gently" try with a screwdriver, any suggestions?
Also, the shaft is not centre on bit where it leaves through the hull, from top of boat standing looking down, and to correct it any more would mean i have to take off the starter as it is in the way to get engine any further to starboard!
It still seems the coupling edges are equal all round, or is it cos they are rusted together.
What would i expect to achieve and see if i take off the BIG nuts in front of the rubber hose? necessary?
baumanmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 4:59am
brainard- I'm up in Whitefish, Mt. and build houses, it is year around, but some winters are tough. I had the puller on pretty tight and was heating it up. It was 30 degrees in my garage so prop and shaft are really cold, and I didn't want to heat it up so much that I hurt the cutless bearing? Do I tighten the puller nut as much as possible, and if so what is a safe way to stop the prop from spinning? Here is a pic of the puller I'm using. Thanks

saffer- I am by no means the expert on any of this, but I was where you are a couple of weeks ago. You do need the two couplings to come apart in order to check your alighnment and I dont think taking apart your stuffing box (brass nuts) will help with the seperation. You may let some penetrater soak in over night, and wait for Eric to respond. I was told to take the rubber hose off at the Stuf. box to see if the shaft was centered. Start at the first page of this topic (alighnment) and I think you will answer a lot of your own questions. I hope that helps.     BaumanMt
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 9:13am
Is the prop nut still on there?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:24am
Originally posted by baumanmt baumanmt wrote:

I was told to take the rubber hose off at the Stuf. box to see if the shaft was centered.

Greg, if you mean what I said, I meant to remove the boot at the log so that it doesn't interfere with checking the line-up at the strut. The boot and stuffing box are a water seal and not structural; the boot will also develope 'memory' from being in a given position for a long time. This is why you may need to pop it off to center the shaft. See if your drive shaft is centered in the front and rear of the cutlass bearing at the same time.

Tim, here's a great spot for your diagramming skills!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:32am
Greg B, I've never really cared for the C clamp style of prop puller because they will always bend and not put equal force around the hub of the prop. If the puller you have doesn't do it, you may need to get a different one or even a gear puller. They can be stubborn!

Greg Buffalo, Keeping the prop nut loosely (look close-there is space between it and the prop)on the shaft is actually the preferred method. When the taper lets loose, it keeps the prop from flying off and hitting the floor.

saffer, The coupling halves can really rust together and you may just need the BFH! That's a big f*****g hammer and something heavier like a cold chisel to drive between the faces. (Any nicks on the faces from the chisel must be carefully filed off) Also, check the location of the shaft safety collar. It is a stainless "ring" around the shaft between the shaft packing nut and the flange. It will have 1 or 2 allen head set screws in it. It may have slipped back or been positioned incorrectly against the packing nut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:43am
Pete, is the boot on the shaft log just water line or some sort of ordinary hose?

Not much room to work with, with that prop puller. Maybe put a thinner nut on it to keep the prop from flying off when it releases? Once you get the puller tight, you should wack it with a big hammer to get it to release. The puller is not supposed to release it by just tightening it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:13am
Bruce, The "boot" is just plain cooling/radiator hose.

A good puller (3 or 4 arm depending on the prop) that puts even force around the hub will pull the prop with out much or no hammering. The picture of my puller was lost with the sites host switch. It's also up north plus I deleted it off both photobucket and my computer! It was very similar to the one Eric made and uses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg Buffalo, Keeping the prop nut loosely (look close-there is space between it and the prop)on the shaft is actually the preferred method. When the taper lets loose, it keeps the prop from flying off and hitting the floor.

I remember reading about that...and I remember 1 time I wish I'd known about it! I see the space you mean, but how about the other side of the same nut?

I have the same puller, but it fits on my set-up dead in line with the shaft. His may be bent just a hair? The first couple of times I used it, the prop came off like a gun shot. Since then my prop has been to Delta and I lapped it on as I learned here. Now it comes off with an solid pop but with much less effort and my neighbors don't come running out to see what I've done to myself?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:19am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I see the space you mean, but how about the other side of the same nut?

I see space on both sides Greg. You only need to pull it maybe .010 to .020 to free it up off the taper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:21am
Yessir!
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:24am
Pete, I have a puller just like the one in the photo. It is made by Acme. The instructions say it is not designed to release the prop by cranking down on the nut. It says to get it tight and then give it a hit withm a hammer. The shock is supposed to release it, not the pressure from the clamp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, I have a puller just like the one in the photo. It is made by Acme. The instructions say it is not designed to release the prop by cranking down on the nut. It says to get it tight and then give it a hit with a hammer. The shock is supposed to release it, not the pressure from the clamp.

Absolutely correct and the point I'm trying to make. With a "C" type pulling on one side, it will start to stretch open and then not pull equally around the hub. Now you need to finish it off with the hammer!! Eric, like myself uses a puller that will pull on all sides and I know he appreciates it. He uses one a lot more than I do!!! They do take longer to put on especially the one I made because you need to thread 3 or 4 bolts into the C holed plate behind the prop. I really don't know why the prop guys continue to sell the C types and what I consider to be a poor design. Maybe they are counting on more prop repairs from the damage they cause!

I'd like to mention again the prop taper compared to the taper in the quill of a drill press that holds ether a drill chuck or drill bit. It's not uncommon for me to find someone trying to remove ether with a block of wood and just wailing on it with a BFH just because they couldn't find the drift. I'll find the drift and with a slight tap the taper pops because the force is a equal pull or in this case, a push.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:36pm
Pete, thats the first time ive ever seen you use the f-word, did you skip breakfast? with the c-style i will even nail it with a half inch impact, heat the prop with a mapp gas torch and sometimes whack it with a b-----fin hammer.

the c-type is good for the diy guy but is not for everyday use, one of these days im going to make a batch of these pullers or have a machine shop make them....i will in the near future post a picture and if 10 or so guy's wanted one i could take it over and see what he could make them for.
or if someone on the site wants to make a joint venture project you can include me, i could do alot of the machining
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:40pm
Saffer, i think you are trying to gently, try a very rigid putty knife, you have to get this apart to check the alignment,
i know exactly what you are trying to do cause I'll watch my guy's for humor trying what you are trying and then I'll hop on the boat and give it a good whack and pop it, dont be afraid to hit it...dont use a sledge either...
baumanmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:57pm
Thanks guys, we got 15 inches of snow so i'm going skiing, i will try again when I get back!
gb842001
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:08pm
I'd be some po'd if I damaged my prop with one of those c puller after paying $70 for it. Good to know for future reference.
baumanmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:21pm
With a bit more heat, and a very lite tap of the hard rubber hammer it popped right off.   Thanks guys
gb842001
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 1:19am
over torqued is over torqued, doesn't matter if you use a 1/2 impact or a 3/8 impact if it not inline and torqued at an angle you are not doing any thing but bending stuff, like the shaft, using an impact wrench on a puller of any kind? why? dumb?, guess if you want to tear stuff up go a head, but it a feel thing, not a brute force think, but I'm a poor mechanic and don't make my living that way, but... each there own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 9:28am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, thats the first time ive ever seen you use the f-word, did you skip breakfast?

Eric, I must say that you are very observant! You are correct that I don't use the F word very offen even in normal discussions. I wanted to emphasize that sometimes it takes some force to split the coupling halves apart. No, I did have breakfast!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 10:30am
79 sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, my statement was made because at times on a 2 1/2 shaft you need an impact, plus i make my own pullers and if i break them no one can yell at me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 12:52pm
it's simple physics, and if you are not appling the force along the axis, then you are not going to do anything. And really why are you comparing something completely different, let's just say what ever, so they tear it up and make unusable tring to remove it. The puller is all ready flexed, it's not inline, and if your dumb enough to throw an impact on it too, then I guess you deserve it. Dad had a saying junk like that,, hammer and chissle mechanic that doesn't know his rear from a hole in the ground.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:10pm
when your paying some 20.00 and hour to do a 10 minute job and he's wondering around you tell him to hit it with an impact, that is a last ditch effort when all else fails, you would understand and no i dont use screwdrivers as chisels, if my old boss ever seen me hit one of his pullers with an impact he would of fired me on the spot and that was embedded in my brain for years. when your hanging under a swinging boat on a 4x4 raft you hit it with an impact or you are going swimming when it lets loose. do i condone it no, is it necessary sometimes yes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:20pm
sounds like you hired the wrong guy for the job to start out with, but regardless last time I checked all of these boats use 1" shafts and you don't have to use a raft. Guess your just trying to confuss them by bring up BS that isn't related to the job at hand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic