Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition resistor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
James View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition resistor
    Posted: July-08-2004 at 9:17pm
I have a '86 SN 2001 351 Ford. Does anyone know why there is a resistor in the ignition circuit? Someone who has worked on it has bypassed the resistor. It seems to run fine. But I would like to know why it is there. The dealer doesn't seem to know.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2004 at 1:43am
bypassing the resister is usually only done for diagnostic purposes (i.e. determine if the resister is broken) or in cases where not bypassing will leave you stranded on the water. the resister is there to protect the ignition system from excess current. yes your boat will run fine without it but you will likely fry your ignition system with prolonged bypass.

however, yours may be bypassed correctly if the previous owner upgraded to electronic ignition. at least i believe that those systems upgraded to electronic ignition are not required use the resister.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2004 at 2:20am
A resistor is an electrical component, usually wire wrapped, that opposes the flow of either direct or alternating current. They are used to protect, operate, or control the circuit. In your case it is a 12 volt direct current resistor. It is used to control your ignition voltage, i.e, let a constant flow of 12 volts direct current to the ignition. A fully charged battery, or a faulty voltage regulator, or for instance, your alternator all can supply more than 12 v.d.c.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2004 at 9:50am
James,
I just converted my 84 over to the electronic ignition & instructions were to bypass the resistor.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 12:31pm
A direct quote from a PCM engine manual: "The coil provided is used with an external ballast resistor, which is designed to control the internal temperature of the coil windings. The resistor cannot be repaired in any way, and if defective, must be replaced."
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2004 at 3:09am
you bypass for electronic conversion. its there to keep from burning up your points.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2004 at 8:37am
All points equipped vehicles, boats have ballast resistor, wire or resistor coils. Most electronic conversions bypass the resistor, some however require a coil change.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic