Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap slalom ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap slalom ski
    Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:19am
Me and a buddy have been attempting the whole slalom thing, but it's on a wooden ski I've had since I was 8 and I got it second hand from a family friend way back then (I'm turning 21 in 3 months) It's part of pair, the little boot is rubber and dry rotting, the back foot "boot" is nothing more than a piece of non-skid tape with a loop of dry-rotted rubber over it...it's terrible.

Any chance anyone has a ski laying around that's less than 16 years old, and perhaps meant for the slalom course that they don't want an arm or a leg for?

I'll even come test it out if you live on a lake where it's warm
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:12am
Check out these sites for used gear:

Ski It Again

SkiFly - then hit the SkiBay link.

or EBay.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:17am
Redneck, try to find yourself an HO Mach 1. That'll be a pretty good ski for you, coming from a wood ski and all. Another alternative would be an HO Burner. These are two skis that you can really find for cheap if you look for them and will be lightyears ahead of what you have.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:09am
I can get you half a dozen skis for under $50 once garage sale season starts back up. You'll pay ~2x the cost of the ski in shipping however.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:38am
Thanks for the advice on where to go and what to look for.

Hollywood: I'm telling ya, I'll go to the ski if I get to use it in good conditions ...we live on a river where days that are flat enough to comfortably ski are few and far between early in the season unless we run so far up the river that it's too narrow to turn around w/out reverse. Then later in the summer there are plenty of flat calm (and burning hot) days but by then the jelly fish are in and you can't ski w/out either getting stung or sweating to death in a wetsuit

Oh yeah, and the wooden ski is all I've ever used, but my friend went to a lake with some college buddies and used an F1 I think he said it was...in any case, he said he absolutely hated it and couldn't turn to save his life. He said the bindings were awesome, but that it took someone practically ripping the ski off of him to get them off. Was that a bad example of a newer ski or was it just too much a jump up in technology?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:28pm
The Connely F1 is a very advanced ski. If anything, your buddy should have found the ski to be squirrely. Perhaps your bud was using a ski that was too small.

Someone suggested the HO Burner. That ski actually came in three different sizes. Called Charger, Burner, and Magnum. It is a wide ski so it is easy to get up on the ski. It will handle speeds up to 34 mph, but can also be used down into the 20s. It can handle the course into 22 and 28 off at 34 mph. It is not an advanced slalom ski, but it sounds like it will match your abilities well.

I have the largest of the skis, the magnum, and used it quite a bit when I was having problems with my back and arthritis in my hands. As I said, easy to get up, and was great while I worked myself back into shape to handle a more aggressive ski. BKH
Livin' the Dream

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the info...As for my friend, you hit the nail on the hit, I just didn't elaborate...he said he would come across the wake and the next thing he knew he was eating water before he could start his turn, so "squirrelly" is probably a good description.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic