Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invertaflow Muffler on ’94 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invertaflow Muffler on ’94 Sport Nautique
    Posted: February-25-2007 at 9:54pm
I removed my invertaflow today to do a little fibergla$$ repair on one of the inlets. I noticed the sound of something moving around inside. Is this normal? I tried reaching inside and I could barely feel something at the outlet. I'm guessing it is some kind of check valve that prevents water from back washing into the manifolds.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 5:56pm
hmmm.if none knows call skidim or midwest nautiques..they will know...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:48pm
SkiDIM will probably know. If you can wait another 6-8 weeks, I should have mine off by then.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:20pm
There is no check valve in the invertaflo. I've had mine completely out of the boat- no rattles that I know of.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:51pm
then it might be one of the baffles coming apart inside of the muffler then.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:30pm
not a fan of the single exhaust outlet at all. CC's were ment to have dual exhaust. Anyone else think this way?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:40pm
I love the single exhaust when I'm skiing the course on public water at 7AM on a Saturday. I can't imagine that the people on this lake enjoy a thundering V8 noise after a hard week of work at the crack of dawn on a Saturday. The single exhaust is the result of extensive muffler research which really works. As much as I love the "music" of the older boats, I can tell you that where I ski, at the times I ski, I love a quiet boat. No other ski boat manufacturer can match the quietness of the invertaflo or hull hugger muffler.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 10:30pm
mufflers and quit exhaust are for pussies,

he does have a good point but screw'm it's saturday get up and enjoy the day.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 1:21am
I would like to cut one them open just to see what it looks like inside, maybe it can be gutted to pick some HP..
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:55am
Thanks for all the input.

MaddMarxx, I'm almost curious enough to cut mine open - but I've never done much fibergla$$ work, so I probably better not. When I was a kid, I took off the catalytic converter on my car and knocked all the gutts out and put it back on to gain some HP.

79nautique, you may be correct about the baffles coming apart, because I don't think I have any baffles. I was very pleasantly surprised with the exhaust note the first time I drove this boat. I loved the duals on my '78 and I had always heard about how quiet the invertaflow is - my '94 is not quiet. It sounds about the same as my '78 - quieter at idle, but about the same underway. I can see (and reach) inside the the port end and it seems to be just one big (maybe 10") hollow horizontal tube with one slightly smaller (maybe 6") vertical tube at the outlet on the starboard end. The vertical tube has openings at the bottom, and I can barely reach my fingers inside the openings and I feel another piece inside there that can move up and down.

ryanandrews, Good idea to call SkiDIM. I'll try that today.

TRBenj, Are you removing yours for good? Going back to duals? I considered that, but it looks like the rudder tiller arm would be in the way on the port side. Wouldn't it be cool to add another ma$$ive 4" thru-hull and run huge straight pipes?!!!

M3Fan, I'll admit, there are a few times when I would love to have a silent wakeless boat. One time I rounded a bend in the lake pulling a boarder enjoying the gla$$ and found myself in the middle of about 2 dozen john boats full of angry fishermen.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:05am
This guy at the lake called me over to his house.His Sn wouldn't start and his boys been cranking it and pumping the throtle.You can smell gas big time.I tell him I'll bet its the ign. switch,so he wfo's the throtle and shakes the key switch as he is turming it...k f'n boom
it blew the end right off the invertsflow,inside there is a standing pipe so it has to be half full before it starts pushing water out the exhaust and thats the only thing I remember inside,he took it home and did a nice job putting the ends back on it
with gla$$.

Good luck Munday
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:09am
Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

TRBenj, Are you removing yours for good? Going back to duals? I considered that, but it looks like the rudder tiller arm would be in the way on the port side. Wouldn't it be cool to add another ma$$ive 4" thru-hull and run huge straight pipes?!!!

Yes, he is actually doing this. he's a sick man .

The invertaflow is pretty loud inside the boat but it's outside the boat on the lake that you really hear the difference. You'd have to be on the shore to really hear the difference.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

No comment
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:22pm
when I had the 2001 sport with the python in it, at 1200rpms while the boat was moving the ba$$ coming from the exhaust was so strong you could hear yourself think it was great. Everyone I met wanted to know what was under the cover. Suprised a baja or two with trip 502's. They just couldn't figure out why, silly guys and the cig boats. Top end they had me for sure by a mile but, the race ain't that long.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 8:24am
I went ahead and cut it apart. Here is what I found:

There is a 4" outlet "stand pipe" in the middle of the vertical cylindrical baffle that was not attached to anything. It had been this way for a long time - evidenced by the amount of wear around the bottom.   

Now if I can find someone to repair it and put it all back together... I've never done much fiberglass work, so I don't know if this would be a good practice job for me. New ones are VERY pricey.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 9:20am
That's probably why it wasn't doing too good of a job suppressing the exhaust noise. Thanks for posting these pics. Until now, the true contents of one of these things was a mystery to just about everyone on this site I'm sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 9:29am
Get a new one or leave it out completely, I wouldn't try repairing it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 9:58am
Its just fiberglass. Mine hasnt been cut apart like that, but it has been patched and works just fine. If you want to put an invertaflow back in, Id just do a quality repair on that one. Its not that difficult, and well worth saving the $800+ theyre asking for a new one.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 11:38am
TRBenj, I am with you ,ain't hard to repair the pieces that's there .A couple hours labor and a f/glass repair kit is all that is needed.Bail off in it , you don't have nuttin' to save but money.
79 is good with advice and spending other peoples money, i guess he don't do glass.makes his double chip itch.....................boat dr
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 1:20pm
It seems that the exact contents were a mystery to all the experts too. I called all over the country and didn't find anyone that seemed really sure of themselves. It's not quite what I expected, and it does seem to produce a pretty significant flow restriction. The entire bottom 2 inches of the muffler stays full of water and the exhaust pressure has to force water up and over the stand pipe inside the vertical cylindrical baffle. I have considered leaving all the baffling out for flow/HP, but I really think I might like the quiet boat for a change. I wonder how much restriction it actually adds? The performance of the boat when I bought it actually exceeded my expectation and I hope if I put the muffler back together the way it should be that I won't regret it due to a loss of performance.

I'm really hesitant about doing the repair myself, but I know there are some fiberglass repairmen that could probably make easy work of it. As TRBenj said, it beats the cost of a new one. The lowest price I've been quoted so far is $560 (but I haven't really shopped around much).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 2:03pm
I wonder if you could make one of these out of pvc and fiberglass, that would be in-expensive...... $560.00 thats a little pricey
"the things you own will start to own you"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 5:55pm
what was the reason to cut it open again........ 600.oo thats a sh*t load of money for an exhaust muffler....
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 6:22pm
I had to cut it open to repair it. I didn't know exactly what had come loose, but I knew something had.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 8:20pm
must be a cadilac stamp somewhere on that muffler to make it cost 6 big ones.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:43am
After mutilating my invertaflow and finding the problem, I took it to a local auto-body shop known for doing fiberglass work. They kept it for a while, but they did good work and got it all put back together probably better than new for $320. I'm running it now and it IS quieter in the boat and it has a pretty nice rumble out the transom.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:48am
Well could have been worse then, glad to hear your back on the water.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 2:13am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I wonder if you could make one of these out of pvc and fiberglass, that would be in-expensive...... $560.00 thats a little pricey

I've been wanting to ask if a PVC Y-pipe might hold up in place of the Invertaflow (along with some flexible exhaust hose). So it wouldn't be too much heat for PVC?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 2:35am
I would not chance it,it's the only thing between you and the bottom! Looks like schedule 40 pvc pipe is rated to 140 degrees, cpvc 180 degrees
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

I've been wanting to ask if a PVC Y-pipe might hold up in place of the Invertaflow (along with some flexible exhaust hose). So it wouldn't be too much heat for PVC?

This problem has a solution already. I believe both Race City Marine and MyCorrectcraftparts sell a special 2 into 1 Y pipe for this.
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:18am
the y-pipe alone is $175, not to mention another $50-60 for the additional hose. Cheaper route would be to cut the invertaflow open and remove the baffle tube then glass it back together for $40. Granted, so far I've only seen posts on the hull hugger versions, but the invertaflow shouldn't be different repair wise. Most have said the glass has held up with no durability issues thus far. I'll be doing it this winter so if you're in no hurry wait and see how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic