Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invertaflow Muffler on ’94 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 5:25pm
Foot_Fungus is giving wise advice. I can testify that after the repair that I posted above in February 2007, I am now in my 6th hard season of skiing/barefooting with my repaired invertaflow with NO PROBLEMS! repairing the fiberglass is the way to go.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 7:04pm
Unless you want to go mufflerless...yes the invertaflow if easily repairable with little to no experience in Fiberglass...
Actually my first job using this material was fixing the muffler.
Mine blew up a couple of times and it´s been 3 years since last repair...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2012 at 12:28am
Update - the kit from mycorrectcraftparts is $471 plus shipping.

I guess this would rust out quick? Wasn't sure since it was "aluminized":
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389/Y300400/10002/-1?parentProductId=744773

Leaning toward just modifying / repairing the Invertaflo as suggested. So to get rid of the muffling just cut the tube off inside the "barrel"? My other issue is that the inlets look restrictive. Almost conical shaped. I'd like to cut those off and do-over. Guess I'd need something slightly smaller in diameter than the hose that connects to the manifolds. Thoughts/ideas?
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 2:14pm
the way the invertaflow works is its a tube over tube setup. so it forces the exhaust gas through a few inches of water to get to the bottom opening of the outter tube, then up to get to the opening of the inner tube. My plan is to remove both tubes and or remove a few inches of the outter tube so the exhaust doesn't have to pass through as much water, but i still keep some of the noise baffling characteristics... I'm gonna tear mine apart in November.
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Foot_Fungus Foot_Fungus wrote:

the way the invertaflow works is its a tube over tube setup. so it forces the exhaust gas through a few inches of water to get to the bottom opening of the outter tube, then up to get to the opening of the inner tube. My plan is to remove both tubes and or remove a few inches of the outter tube so the exhaust doesn't have to pass through as much water, but i still keep some of the noise baffling characteristics... I'm gonna tear mine apart in November.

Update?

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2013 at 6:40am
Just here to post some photos of inside a muffler.

Boat is a 94 Excel/barefoot.

These pics are of the "cap" which is glassed on the top.   Pics of repair to come after I actually repair it.

I was moored and on restart the engine backfired LOUD. I inspected the engine area and that is what I saw. Shattered the "cap", found it in about 20 pieces.

Hopefully, this helps for those who want to know how the muffler works.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2013 at 12:30pm
Yours is the second muffler I' ve herd of where a back fire caused that cap to blow off .
The first was mine, My exhaust flap had fallen off and a muskrat made nest condo in the tube which caused the backfire       when it happened the engine cover was up and that cap blew up into a million peices and hit one of the passengers in the shoulder I baught a new one at the time. I wish i kept the old one .
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 7:06pm
Well... My repair (originally posted on this thread 8 years ago) has lasted just fine... up until now. I had a weak battery and a small jump-starter and after a few cranks, KABOOM!!! Backfire blew the side off and blew the top "hat" to bits. It was such a big explosion, it actually broke both of the plastic doghouse hinges.

This time will be much more difficult to try to repair because the top "hat" will have to be reconstructed. I think I'm probably better off looking for a used replacement.

Anyone got a used invertaflow they want to make me a deal on?

-James
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 8:34pm
I'm in the process of repairing my invertaflow. In my thread Air206 mentioned he had one for sale. I'd hit him up.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:30pm
Jameski-

I have one. Email me at 78skitique at gmail.com ........... Steve
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:35pm
I ended up buying a Y pipe and some hose from skidim for about $150 (total) and it was great. (eliminated the Invertaflow)

Tom
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

I ended up buying a Y pipe and some hose from skidim for about $150 (total) and it was great. (eliminated the Invertaflow)Tom

You must have got some killer deal. The exhaust hose alone would cost that with shipping.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

I ended up buying a Y pipe and some hose from skidim for about $150 (total) and it was great. (eliminated the Invertaflow)Tom

You must have got some killer deal. The exhaust hose alone would cost that with shipping.

Could be off... been a year or two. Thinking harder, seems like the Y was close to $100 I think it took 7' of 3" flex. Ugh, yeah that would be ~ $140. Maybe it was $250. :)    I do recall that shipping was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway, call Richard at skidim and he can walk ya through it. Or reply back and I can answer any questions.
Erikgundy98 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikgundy98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 1:47am
To all you who did the repairs on your inverta-flo, did you have to recreate the top bubble or cap above the baffle?

How did you do that?

Thanks! Or does anyone still have an extra laying around they want to sell? :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Erikgundy98 Erikgundy98 wrote:

To all you who did the repairs on your inverta-flo, did you have to recreate the top bubble or cap above the baffle?

How did you do that?

Erik,
It sounds like you don't have the cap anymore so a repair isn't feasible? So, you will need to make a male mold to lay up the glass shape of the cap'bubble. The easy way to make the male "plug" is on a wood lathe but it could also be made it with tools like a band saw and belt sander. The plug is coated with a good layer of wax or even better, realease agents are available in aerosol cans. This coating is so you can remove the glass from the plug after the glass has cured. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 8:00am
Wouldn’t cost anything to contact Centek and ask if they would sell that part.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 12:42pm
Thankfully when my Invertaflow failed it was just the baffle that came loose. But I understand your situation where you need to make a "bubble" top. Considering how much a new muffler costs and how much they cost to ship it would probably be worthwhile to make a "bubble" cap yourself. I happen to have epoxy, woven fiberglass and glass matt already, so I would definitely fabricate a part. I used a contour gauge on my existing "bubble" cap. From there it would be easy to make a mold. I would go simple and either use some old surfboard foam (I have lots of) or modeling clay. My contour gauge outline is from the outside. So if you wanted to make a plug it would require drawing the outline reduced by the thickness of the part you are shooting for. If you wanted to make a mold (concave) the outline would work fine. If you used modeling clay it would be easy to cut the outline into a sheet of plastic and use it to shape the clay after roughly approximating the shaped clay. In reality the "bubble" is not a critically designed or manufactured piece. So it isn't crucial to have a precise piece made. I wouldn't coat and cover the mold with release. I would just cover it in thin plastic sheet. A fold here or there or an overlapped seam isn't going to be an issue in a molded part like this. You just want to deflect the water flow around the baffle rather than have it splash in mostly one direction. A layer of woven glass, a layer of matt and another layer of glass and some spray paint will give you a cap that will epoxy right back on. I would definitely lap the seam from the "bubble" to the muffler body with some woven glass :) Non reinforced epoxy is not that strong. Have fun with epoxy out there. It's easy to do. The image below is not to 
scale. You will either need to scale it to fit or PM me and I can send you a full size file.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 5:45pm
I'm trying to NOT make a comment on the above image...

Kinda reminds me of the logo from the Average White Band from the 1970's

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:26pm
But...  :)  That is why I refer to the "bubble" in quotes. Doesn't look like a bubble. 
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:42pm
There is an invertaflow muffler for sale on ebay right now. $29 and $125 postage. Looks like it needs repair on the exhaust port, but the bubble and body appear to be intact.

marine exhaust muffler Invertaflo Correct Craft Nautique | eBay
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by nobrainsd nobrainsd wrote:

There is an invertaflow muffler for sale on ebay right now. $29 and $125 postage. Looks like it needs repair on the exhaust port, but the bubble and body appear to be intact.

I'll bet it belongs to somebody here on the website whose screen name starts with an R and ends in iley Wink
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by nobrainsd nobrainsd wrote:

I'll bet it belongs to somebody here on the website whose screen name starts with an R and ends in iley Wink

Yeah, that is ours and it is for sale for $29 or make an offer, so it can be had for less.  Shipping on my end shows $33.88.  I don't know how ebay estimates their shipping estimates, but they are often inaccurate.  It has been repaired, which looks like it is coming undone, but it did not appear to leak when we ran the boat we removed it from, which was a 1989 Martinique that went to the dump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 8:52am
If you put a San Diego zip code (where nobrainsd is located) in the EBAY shipping estimator it comes out to 125 and some change. (USPS Priority Mail)

Same 33 and some change to me in NH as you mentioned Bruce.

Like you, I have no idea how their estimator works

Lou-Pa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou-Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 9:21am
AWB - my favorite band from the college days. Thanks for the memories!
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 9:39am
Strange. I did not enter my zip code in the shipping calculator to get the postage amount. The listing came up with Expedited Postage $125. Now I see the listing shows Calculate. EBay at it's best! But I will definitely stay aware that when considering items on E Bay that the postage isn't necessarily what is shown! 

Still looks like a pretty good deal :)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 11:23am
I use USPS as much as I can, but west of the Mississippi Fed Ex is much cheaper.

We occassionaly  part a boat out for parts we need and sell the stuff we don't need on ebay.  After awhile, I just get tired of moving it around or stepping over it.  The best deals we have are the new parts we buy and then decide not to use. We take a beaten on those, especially when I get tired of looking at them. 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It has been repaired, which looks like it is coming undone, but it did not appear to leak when we ran the boat we removed it from,

Bruce, 
The PO must have done the "repair" since I know you sure wouldn't have made that mess. I wonder if the PO missed his PB in his PB&J sandwich! I have no idea what he used. That tan stuff doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with. 

EDIT: I have a feeling the repair was done with West System using their 410 fairing filler. Not the best choice since the 410 is primarily wood flour hence the color. Easy to sand but low strength. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic